Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

Telf

Hi all,

After a bit of advice please

The block I had vapour cleaned has been sitting for quite a while now. Prior to starting a build I figure I should make sure theres no cleaning substrate left in it. Should I therefore remove the 2 items Ive arrowed in the picture to make sure its all clean? I suspect there may be crap built up behind them.

post-21474-0-59557300-1508664916_thumb.jpg

petert

Undo the plugs at either end with the appropriate size allen key. Wash out the channel with high pressure water and reseal with Loctite 569 (or similar thread sealant). There's no need to remove the welsh plugs. You can clean behind them easily.

Telf

Thanks peter

Barryboy85

Telf did you treat the block with anything after getting it vapour blasted?

Telf

I haven't no

Barryboy85

I'm not sure if you should or not?

Telf

I don't know either tbh. Anybody have any advice please?

Barryboy85

I'm sure I've read that it should be sealed once done to stop it from furring up.

Telf

some headway this week. The engine from the car is now out and has taken up residence in my mates garage:

post-21474-0-44785600-1509175202_thumb.jpg

Telf

The plan is to separate the gearbox and clean it and then remove all the ancillaries, pipes etc and clean them up to. Everything will then be donated to the new block

Telf

1 X gearbox degreased and partially cleaned

post-21474-0-16801800-1509210775_thumb.jpg

MrAndy

Does anybody have the XU9 8v rebuild manual available? I have the 16v engine manual, but would like to have the 8v also.

Thx,

-A-

hoodygoodwood

That's good value for a set of 4 liners , 4 sets of rings and the pistons as well but I don't know anything about the make and if they are any good . I bought Kobelschmidt liners for my last 2 engine rebuilds and they seemed to be excellent quality .

I couldn't afford vapour blasting for my block and castings so I used wire brush heads in a cordless drill to remove corrosion and scale inside and out , to clean the dust out once finished I suspended the block from the rafters of my garage over a drip tray , removed the plugs each end of the oil gallery ( with the allen key fixing ) and flushed it out with new white spirit . I bought a selection of wire handled test tube brushes off Ebay and used them to get into the oil ways , with a bit of effort the block is literally spotless inside and out .I brush painted it with black engine enamel and would definitely paint yours as it will go white and powdery quite quickly once the damp gets to it .

DamirGTI

I've also noticed that pug1Off do a complete kit for £450 .

Not really sure the best way to go

https://peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/205-rebuild-restoration-peugeot-1-9-gti-engine.html

The price of the liners dropped quite a bit , at least over here dunno about UK , one liner cost app. 20 quid from where I'm buying and It's Goetze brand which is best OE spec .

D

Telf

well after a couple of weeks with not a lot achieved the head skim has been finished, 3 angle cut carried out and the valve guides replaced.

On inspection there is a small bubble just on the edge of the firering. So the head has now been rewelded and skimmed again. All looking good now. Just waiting on a Head gasket kit to fit the valves and shim it all up.

The crank has also been measured. within tolerance so polished and put to one side until I begin the block build.

Leslie green

Sounds like you are making progress , still looking for a block here with no success yet ,do you know know much a bare block weights Paul by any chance,being Alloy I suspect its quite light with the crank out  ?

Edited by Leslie green

welshpug

they weigh about 25 kilos with liners

• Thanks 1

Telf

yep 20 odd kg

progress is slow but then again I've got alot going on at the moment!

Miles is supplying me a HG kit so I can get the valves fitted and shimmed, hoping to start on the engine around Xmas.

Telf

well the heads been rewelded and skimmed. Finally finished with new guides, 3 angle cut and shims all sorted. Now to finish the block.....

Telf

so heres the finished head ready and waiting for a bottom to to built!

Corrosion welded and skimmed- spot it if you can

pretty pleased

H1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

petert

Don't forget to check valve clearances after you torque the head down. They will change.

Telf

I'm wondering is there any difference between a standard cam in a 1.6 engine and a 1.9? I've got a couple of different cams but not sure what came from what originally