Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

Telf

just to be clear:

From Haynes:

Valve clearances (engine cold)

Inlet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.15 to 0.25 mm

Exhaust . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.35 to 0.45 mm

no 2 and 3 are reading : Inlet 0.1mm and exhaust 0.3 mm

jackherer

If the head was shimmed before it was torqued down onto the block it's not out of the question for them to change slightly once it is installed.

Telf

It the fact that some are in and some out Kieran that is bothering me- I just wonder if I've overtorqued the head or its warped or something

bloody cars!

jackherer

It's normal! I'm sure someone else will comment soon though so don't listen to me!

• Haha 1

Leslie green

Id maybe leave then until its run a little  bit and has bedded in then check again if it was me ,exhaust will be most critical due to expansion and its very close to spec anyway .

welshpug

clearances wont change any further after bolting the head down, but if they are that tight I would whip the cam out before going any further as it wont take long to sort it out.

Telf

Should I just measure the ones fitted and buy ones 0.05 mm thicker? I presume that's all you do?

welshpug

no, thinner!!

• Haha 1

welshpug

measure them all and you may be able to move a few about to alter the clearances, but as they are all too tight.

Telf

oh yeah Mei! Thanks

Cant I just take them out and rub them down- so they are thinner?

Edited by Telf

welshpug

not really, they are case hardened and need to be perfectly square, they are cheap and readily available though.

• Thanks 1

Telf

Well I remeasured all the clearances and the exhaust are all ok but the inlet are all out. ( 0.1 mm ) swapped 2 over and they are in so just 2 new shims required.

I then set about stripping my old engine of all the pipes etc. As expected the main  oil filler pipe is perished just below the oil filler assembly where it turns 90 degrees. 

One of the oil cooler pipes has some damage but I'm wondering does the 1.9 really need an oil cooler?  Does anybody run them without?

So the old engine is pretty much stripped. At 250K it's done well but looks a little sad. I'm going to keep it for now until the new unit has run in. Then I'm going to take it to bits and refurbish it as well.

20180210_171205.jpg

Telf

Well today I managed to somehow get my engine into the back of my other 205 and took it to a workshop to have the broken stud removed..traumatic.

5 door pugs -excellent for moving engines around it turns out!

20180216_121610.jpg

20180216_122035.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

Over the next few weeks I going to fit all the sensors and the rest of the parts to the block.

I'm wondering if its worth buying a new set of sensors - and are there any better ones than standard that I can fit - I seem to recall some folk fit lower temperature water switches (possibly?)

Do most of you just order new parts from Peugeot?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

P