• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanielKamar

Megasquirt On 205 1.6

DanielKamar

Hi there folks!

I know this has been asked a few times, but i can't seem to find a definitive answer..

I have a Megasquirt V1 at home and my Afm/Sad/distributor are really crappy, so i thought, why not replace them?

The thing is.. What's really needed for this modification? I'm not looking after really big improvements, just a fine idling, starting and no stalling.

Can the Megasquirt replace the Afm/Sad and distributor or do I need to keep the distributor to control the spark?

Anthony

The original MS-1 as released was fuel only, and thus whilst it would replace the AFM, you would need to keep the dizzy for ignition (and to give a timing signal to the MS).

MS-1 could with minor modification to do both fuel and ignition using Ford EDIS ignition parts and some different MS code which would then allow you to replace the dizzy with a Ford wasted spark coilpack, but you would then need to add a 36-1 pickup wheel to the crank pulley for timing - you can't use a Motronic flywheel from a later XU engine.

With more significant modification you could use a Motronic flywheel for timing and a regular Peugeot coil from a 106, although from memory that does need a fair few additional parts to be added to the ECU and probably best not attempted unless you're comfortable with electronics and can solder to a good degree.

Obviously whatever you do it'll need to be mapped to suit the engine.

DanielKamar

Many thanks Anthony!

Will keep the dizzy then, buy a new one and problem solved. Later, i'm expecting to get a new port and polished head, exhaust and cam and maybe some itb's, only then ill replace the dizzy!