• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Clarky3rdNut

Sunroof Fixings Help

Clarky3rdNut

Being a later GTi, my sunroof has been riveted from factory. Does anybody know what size/style of rivet should be used to replace them?

Ideally I would prefer nuts and bolts as per the earlier models. Is this possible? Or are there differences that mean I can only use rivets?

Edited by Clarky3rdNut

mrfirepro

Matt,

The rivnuts in the roof are blind M4 ones.

the OE ones

P1030790_666x500.jpg

the ones I used

P1030814_666x500.jpg

you'll need one of these if you decide to replace the rivnuts

P1030815_666x500.jpg

P1030821_375x500.jpg

Clarky3rdNut

Well mrfirepro, I couldn't possibly have wished for a better reply than that!

Many thanks indeed. I have emailed rivetswales for a price.

I do believe we have the gun/lever tool laying idle in a cupboard at work.

Without pushing my luck, may I ask what gasket material you used?

mrfirepro

Farmer (you'll find him if you do a members search) managed to source me some OE seal, which surprisingly (considering it's age) was still in tact.

I have searched for a suitable alternative, but didn't find anything.

P1040486_666x500.jpg

P1040493_666x500.jpg

I'm sure there are plenty of others that have used an alternative sealing strip

iirc the strip is about 25mm wide, sticky on one side and is a very high density foam.

just ask if you have any other questions... :D

Edited by mrfirepro

Clarky3rdNut

Many thanks again for the visual replies, they are an enormous help.

I have made contact with Farmer and am keeping my fingers crossed!

just ask if you have any other questions... :D

I most certainly will! Thanks! ....Can you fix up my car for me? ^_^

mrfirepro

I most certainly will! Thanks! ....Can you fix up my car for me? ^_^

Certainly can, providing you can wait until I've finished my next two projects...should be sometime in 2021...... :D

Clarky3rdNut

At the rate I'm going ..you have a deal! :-)

On the sunroof front, I don't have rivnuts as standard. It is literally riveted to the roof.

I would prefer to replace with the rivnuts as you have suggested though. I like the idea of being able to tighten them up manually.

Can you remember what length bolts you used? I see they are spaced by the trim fixing points.

mrfirepro

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's riveted on. My 89 car has the sub-frame secured on with two different types of bolts, which also double as the fixing points for the sunroof trim. Have you taken the sunroof apart yet?

Clarky3rdNut

My guess is Peugeot cut some corners for the later models. Maybe a cost saving exercise?

Please excuse the pictures, they were taken shortly after the fire that led me to this issue in the first place! I can take some clearer ones tomorrow if needs be.

So with the trim removed, I have rivet heads supported by spacers that the trim clips onto.

025B8B6A-8862-48C1-A57F-5C43FCE62E4E.jpg

AEA51100-985C-4F22-8A2D-C69A7AC52C03.jpg

0581DE0B-E03C-449C-9BE9-5BBF184A0C1E.jpg

915A7036-B6E2-4091-B2A6-70673830E4CF.jpg

From the inside, all the rivets look like this

342B1D1E-0384-4D9D-B8BF-9C46166671E9.jpg

I am assuming and rather hoping that I can simply drill the rivets out and when it comes to re-fitting, use rivnuts in the way you have. I will however, need to obtain some bolts to suit.

I am guessing that there is also a possibility that I will need to drill the holes out a little to use M4 rivnuts.

mrfirepro

would it not be simpler to replace like for like???

If you wanted to use a rivnut solution I would make sure you can get the screws first as most are corroded and snap when trying to remove. There are two different types.

this one for the front and side

P1040496_666x500.jpg

these are the ones that go through the rubber strip behind the sunroof glass.

P1040501_666x500.jpg

you will also need some M4 fibre washer

P1040545_666x500.jpg

Clarky3rdNut

Aha! I see now. So they're unique bolts that incorporate the spacer/trim fixing point.

Originally I was going to replace like for like and that's why I asked if anyone knew what size/type of rivet is used as standard on my model. Perhaps Farmer may be able to help me aquire them or find out what sizes they are.

As for using rivnuts, I think it will now be tricky to get it right unless I can find the correct bolts as you have shown above.

I did rather like the idea of tightening bolts over using a rivet gun though. I'm a bit worried if I'll be able to get rivets tight enough to create a seal

Anyway. I really do have to thank you again for your assistance on this. Even if I am a little miffed with Peugeot for changing the fixing method!

timoth123

I've recently removed a sunroof from a track project I'm playing with. Most of the bolts and bits came apart without damage. Happy to send them over to you if you need. Could always go the same route as me and Paul, and get them zinc plated?!

Clarky3rdNut

Thanks a lot for the kind offer Tim.

Farmer has managed to track down the original rivets that I need to replace like for like at a price I can't refuse so I'm going to give that a try.

If it all goes pear shaped then I think rivnuts and tracking down original bolts will be the way forward.

Clarky3rdNut

So these turned up today

26AC511C-6F0B-47A2-971D-5523F259B3A1.jpg

Under close inspection, they appear to be a standard size rivet with a turned aluminium top hat pressed into them to act as a spacer

CD369C0C-DDEE-4A54-A1BC-DB19D8647051.jpg

If what I believe is true, then they should be easy to reproduce.

I have the rivets for behind the glass on order from Peugeot. The fact that these are still available leads me to believe that they will be the same standard sized rivet without the spacer.

We shall see in a couple of weeks...

mrfirepro

A better solution than the screws (IMO) do you still plan to use the fibre washers??

Clarky3rdNut

I'm just a bit nervous with these compared to how I would be if using screws. I think it's because I have just one chance to get it right!

I'm not sure if fibre washers are present as standard ..at least I can't even see any remnants that there were any. despite that, I will be using them yes. Belts and braces, I don't want to give it any chance to leak!

Darrens205GTI

Hey Matt,

You didn't happen to take down the part number for the flat screws that go through the rubber did you? I'm in the process of putting mine back together (Slowly) and will need some of them pretty soon, well ok some time this year :D​

Cheers,

Darren

Clarky3rdNut

Hi Darren,

If you mean the ones that go through the strip of rubber at the rear of the sunroof then on mine they're also rivets but without the spacers. P/N: 840350

I haven't actually removed my sunroof yet. In fact I haven't even began to dismantle the car at all!

I have been gathering lots of parts though and shall be commencing shortly.

Tom Fenton

Those are machine rivets, I think you will find them difficult if not impossible to set with a manual rivet gun. If you have a spare I would have a practise away from the car first of all.

Clarky3rdNut

Well that's thrown a bit of a curveball!

I'm a long way off from experimenting but if I can't get the rivets to work then I guess drilling out the holes and retrofitting rivnuts could be the answer after all.

welshpug

They'll work, but you will need a different too to fit them

Callum

I'll be removing my sunroof frame soon so I can get the rear drainage tubes replaced, i've source some tape for the frame and also have the red fibre washers. How tight do I need to do the bolts that secure the frame down?

I've had the sunroof trims off and all the bolts were loose so I tightened them down and now can see water is coming through the seal so I want to make sure when i refit it with the new parts I don't over tighten it 

Callum

Anyone know how tight the sunroof frame bolts go? 

Richie-Van-GTi

Callum have you made any progress with this? I need to take my later sunroof out for paint but without a refixing solution I don't want to

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

cleggy

Has anyone managed to source any replacement screws? I’ve removed the sunroof and snapped a few of the rear seal torx screws