• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SweetBadger

Skf Vkjc 3868 205 1.9 Gti Drive Shafts From Mister-Auto, Anyone Ordere

Tom Fenton

I will bet that's the issue, I've been there and done it with driveshafts till I was blue in the face. Get them out and measure the fully compressed length, easiest way is put them in the lathe and wind the tail stock up then measure.

calvinhorse

I know they are too long causing them to knock

Are you saying this is bad manufacturing or the incorrect shaft?

unariciflocos

This issue with the chinese made SKF for the right side is obviously a manufacturing fault.

However apart from the slow shipping I've also had other issues with Mister-auto. I've ordered two Febi lower arms some time ago, got two different parts with Febi labels, only one had Febi stamped on the metal, installed them anyway, and the one without markings was dead witin the first kms.

Ordered another Lemforder replacement, got the same unstamped crap in a Lemforder box, sent it back, ordered a Febi again, got another chinese knock-off with a Febi label, sent it back again and ordered a Febi from a different site and finally got the real deal. Frustrating, will not use them again.

calvinhorse

Ordered and fitted a pair of skf driveshafts for my 309 from mister-auto

The long shaft was a bad fit into the diff, the splines are .1mm too big which was enough to make it a bastard to fit..

The short side I had no problem fitting but knocks so badly on right hand turns that it rattles the entire car!

Personally I'd spend a bit more money and get some better quality shafts, these certainly don't live up to the skf brand name...

Riiiiiiiight...

So I've undone the gearbox mount and pushed the engine over to the drivers side, I'd say it mane moved 3.0mm and the knocking has stopped while on the road, I'm yet to give it full beans on a hairpin but do far so good

PhilNW

And just to add to that, mister-auto were also very slow with postage.. Ordered on Thursday morning and came last thing Thursday night the following week..

I was told Tuesday and I'm sure most other companies could deliver by then

A lot of their stuff comes from middle of France somewhere with the associated travel time , seems to take a long time to leave their depot even when it is in stock.

Edited by PhilNW

hoodygoodwood

Have been reading about these new driveshaft problems with some interest as I have a pair of new shafts waiting to be fitted to my 309 once it is ready . I have dug them out of my loft along with the hubs that they will be fitted to ( blasted , repainted , new bearing and plated flange refitted )

They both appear to be OK when fitted together but because of the casting shrouding your view its impossible to see the shaft sitting against the bearing . I got a tiny piece of plasticene and rolled it into a long thin ( 0.5mm ) shape and laid it along the angled part of the driveshaft ( next to the thread ) and up onto the face that should contact the bearing . Push shaft and hub together firmly then pull apart and you can see if there is metal to metal contact .

My 'short' shaft , bought new off someone on the forums is a new in box GKN - it fits fine with no close contact on the strip .

My 'long' shaft is an SKF from Mr-auto in France and a part of the angle is touching the angled part of the flange . Ideally the flange could have had a little metal removed on a lathe but the hubs have been assembled now so its too late . Will try to turn a small amount off the angled face of the shaft on my lathe .Obviously the ideal time to check this is just before hubs and bearings etc are removed for replacement as skimming a little out of the rear of the flange would be easy then .

Once this is done its just the lengths to worry about next !

Ozymandis

Have been reading about these new driveshaft problems with some interest as I have a pair of new shafts waiting to be fitted to my 309 once it is ready . I have dug them out of my loft along with the hubs that they will be fitted to ( blasted , repainted , new bearing and plated flange refitted )

They both appear to be OK when fitted together but because of the casting shrouding your view its impossible to see the shaft sitting against the bearing . I got a tiny piece of plasticene and rolled it into a long thin ( 0.5mm ) shape and laid it along the angled part of the driveshaft ( next to the thread ) and up onto the face that should contact the bearing . Push shaft and hub together firmly then pull apart and you can see if there is metal to metal contact .

My 'short' shaft , bought new off someone on the forums is a new in box GKN - it fits fine with no close contact on the strip .

My 'long' shaft is an SKF from Mr-auto in France and a part of the angle is touching the angled part of the flange . Ideally the flange could have had a little metal removed on a lathe but the hubs have been assembled now so its too late . Will try to turn a small amount off the angled face of the shaft on my lathe .Obviously the ideal time to check this is just before hubs and bearings etc are removed for replacement as skimming a little out of the rear of the flange would be easy then .

Once this is done its just the lengths to worry about next !

Same idea as engineers blue. I just grind a bit off the hub flanges with a conical stone in a die grinder, then any shaft, s*ite or decent fits in future.

hoodygoodwood

Tried to turn a little off the angled face of the driveshaft on my lathe but the metal was too hard so had to use my air grinder on the hub flange , as the suspension is fitted to the car I crouched in the empty engine bay while a mate span the wheel , took about 0.5 MM off at a guess maybe a little more but no contact now .

Daniel306

Is this still a problem with the VKJC 3868?