• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lightflow

Can You Solve The Mystery Of The Binnacle Screw...

lightflow

In my twenties I had two Phase 2 1.6 GTi's.

Having bought another in my 40's (this time a 93 K, Phase 2 1.9) I noticed on my binnacle that the screw in the small hole above the wiper stalk was missing. Thinking back (it's been 20 years, I seem to remember a black torx headed screw in that hole... but I could be wrong.

When I removed the binnacle on my current 1.9, the clip (it's a caged nut with a spring clip which the binnacle fits into) was also missing. I have since found a clip and put it back in place, but I am now looking for the screw that secures it.

The clip/caged nut is M5 thread, so it take a machine screw and not a self tapper. It also has a small head which needs to fit in the hole rather than a large pan head.

Can anybody help me with photos that bust or confirm the myth in my head of this mysterious missing binnacle screw. What does yours have? - I am thinking original OEM - not anything which has been retro fitted e.g. spring clip/self tapping combos....

ServiceBox is drawing a blank and usual expert sources suggest a self-tapper, but I ma not convinced yet... :D

This is driving me nuts at the moment - I know it's a small point, but it's the last screw on the dashboard...

Anthony

There certainly should be something in there, but it's missing on most 205's these days or the plastic part it secures against broken when the binnacle is forcibly removed without undoing it.

From memory it's a black T20 torx setscrew but it's been a while since I've seen one still in place.

lightflow

Cheers Anthony - I am not going mad then!! It was a black torx....

Yes my dash was broken on the leg which holds the clip. I have fully repaired it with a donor dash, Q-Bond and fibreglass. The clip is back in place now. Just need the screw. It will be right. I am on a mission :ph34r:

Stu

No, you're exactly right. It's on mine, a black torx set screw that tightens from the outside through that hole...

jackherer

It also has a small head which needs to fit in the hole rather than a large pan head.

The screwdriver fits through the hole, not the screw head.

• Like 1

farmer

This is what I sent Ashley earlier, not sure if its the right one?

post-20427-0-28925200-1426679541_thumb.jpg

post-20427-0-52679500-1426679558_thumb.jpg

Edited by farmer

Stu

I don't think so, from memory its a set screw not a self tapper...

Tom Fenton

I have turned the head down on an M5 button head stainless screw before to do the same job except using an allen hex key not a torx.

mrfirepro

Definatley a machine screw, what is not shown in the second picture is the captive nut (I think it fell off...) that it screws into..

P1010531_666x500.jpg

P1010589_666x500.jpg

mrfirepro

found a picture of the captive nut

P1050813_666x500.jpg

lightflow

This is starting to unravel nicely then.

It looks like there is a consensus developing that an M5 machine/set screw into a caged nut clip behind the binnacle hole is the way it was done from factory.

The photo from Craig(farmer) looks like the correct anodised head, but that's a self-tapper.

Then the point seems to be how to get the screw/through the hole.

Kieran (jackherer) this is sounding familiar. Screwdriver reaches through and tightend/undoes the screw makes sense given how small the hole is. That is why Tom has turned a panhead button down.

For the life of me though, I am not sure how I could place a screw on the inside of the binnacle clip and get it aligned so that once the binnacle is pushed into place I could then poke the screwdriver through and drive the screw home....

lightflow

Paul - that clip doesn't look to be the correct one - I think it should be a "caged nut" on the speedo side and there should be another spring clip nearer the camera side on your second photo - that spring clip received the lug from the binnacle...

The external screw is not how I remember it should be. It should be flush (or internal) as Kieran suggests....

jackherer

My dash is apart at the moment, I'll go and take a pic.

Paul, that is wrong, the screw should be inside and a screwdriver goes through the hole to tighten it.

jackherer

post-3-0-65128800-1426696352_thumb.jpg

The cowling has a fork that goes into the clip then with a screwdriver through the hole in the cowling the screw can be tightened.

lightflow

That's it!! That's the answer - the fork is open ended isn't it. Leave the screw in place, ease fork around the screw, snap the binnacle down, then tighten it from the outside.

Got it now - I just need a short anodised M5 Torx head and that will be job done!

Thanks Kieran :D

Edited by lightflow

jackherer

Yes, exactly, the screw never has to be totally removed, just loosened like it is in my pic.

It is a slightly odd design, does anybody know if LHD 205s are the same?

mrfirepro

Kieran,

That's great info thanks, it makes a lot of sense now. Anyone got a spare fixing....?

jackherer

I tried to find it on Servicebox earlier so I could post the diagram showing it but I gave up after a while, I wouldn't be surprised if they are still available new.

lightflow

Yes I've been looking in the fasteners and fixing sections and not been quite able to identify it yet. I got my clip by buying a broken binnacle which happened to have one attached (I checked first). I was also using that broken binnacle as a donor for a fixing point.

Paul I thought you might want one - shame not to get the correct thing after all your efforts.

Many thanks to Kieran - it seems crazy but that bloody clip and screw combo has been playing on my mind since I bought the car. I think it was mainly because I could clearly remember it from 20 years ago and it has been driving me nuts knowing my dash was broken in that area with a missing piece. I had to get it sorted for my piece of mind.

Would be interested in knowing if anyone else can identify the clip in ServiceBox. It has a caged nut one side with an open ended spring clasp on the other.

Edited by lightflow

Simes

Wow I never knew all of this - but now it all makes sense.

The clip has broken on mine and therefore I araldite'd some plastic and a captive nut to then have something to screw the binnacle down to.

Without the toughened engine mounts would shake it off!!

mrfirepro

I think I can probably make that up with the parts I have, going to take it apart today and see what can be done.

Always thought that screw on the outside looked out of place, now I know. :)

lightflow

Paul - excellent - glad my mission helped you out.

As you know that is why I needed that old dash you so kindly delivered - a builder was round the other day and spotted the broken remains outside my garage and he knew it was a 205 - he was really keen to see it. Then another guy came round to drop some stuff off and noticed my car under the cover. "That's not a 205 is it mate?"....

We then had a long conversation about 80's hot hatch values finally being set on the proper footing and getting the rise in value they deserve...

This seems to be happening more and more. There was a good write up in EVO recently (I think is was - Richard Meaden) about 80's/90's hatches and the 205 GTI in particular being the next big thing...

Edited by lightflow

davey205

sorry to drag this up, anyone find a part number for this I am going to try contacting Peugeot see if they can help

lightflow

Hi Dave,

No I had no luck with my dealer getting the part number (or indeed the screw itself). I sourced a similar torx pan headed machine screw in the end, but not from Peugeot. If you do happen to find the exact one let me know!

BrenSavage

Hello all. This thread has been most helpful.

question.... on the binnacle surround, what clip/fastener is on that?

i can see the info for the “dash side” fastener, but am wondering what is on the binnacle to bind them together before tightening.

both my dash and binnacle have the caged nut clip and screw missing.

any advice or photos appreciated