• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

td_w

Fuel Sender Unit 1989 1.9 Gti

td_w

Hi there

I have been reading as much as I can and I see I need a phase 2 fuel sender unit for my GTI. I want to buy a new one as opposed to used part - the only one I can find is from Eurocarparts and that doesn't say if its for phase 1 or 2....

Any ideas how to tell? Also anywhere else I can look for a new part?

Thanks in advance

td_w

haha - I never found an answer to this one :) No one seems to have stock of fuel senders for my 89 1.9 8v, any one know what I can do?

jackherer

Second hand is the best bet, they are very reliable and not known for failing.

Ozymandis
1 hour ago, jackherer said:

Second hand is the best bet, they are very reliable and not known for failing.

I have had 2 fail one was 1992 and the other 1994.

They were the type with a big brass loose coil spring (like a bronze slinky looking object) inside an aluminium cylinder, where the spring is attached at the top they eventually break.

Take Your old one to bits and fix it.

This happened as i was 400 miles from home plumbing a house for my folks, It was an easy to fix at the side of

the road in a pleasant quiet Cornish village. It took an hour.

Access is simple under the back seat base, take it out pull it to bits, plumbers solder ,flux and blowlamp soon had it re attached, that was ten years ago its a permanent fix. The same happened to my Girlfriends 1994 car , I did the same fix and that was fine for years until the rotten shell gave up the ghost.

I had a plumber/electricians tool kit no car tools and all i needed was a punch and mallet to unscrew the nip on the plastic retainer ring and the soldering kit.

td_w
1 hour ago, Ozymandis said:

I have had 2 fail one was 1992 and the other 1994.

They were the type with a big brass loose coil spring (like a bronze slinky looking object) inside an aluminium cylinder, where the spring is attached at the top they eventually break.

Take Your old one to bits and fix it.

This happened as i was 400 miles from home plumbing a house for my folks, It was an easy to fix at the side of

the road in a pleasant quiet Cornish village. It took an hour.

Access is simple under the back seat base, take it out pull it to bits, plumbers solder ,flux and blowlamp soon had it re attached, that was ten years ago its a permanent fix. The same happened to my Girlfriends 1994 car , I did the same fix and that was fine for years until the rotten shell gave up the ghost.

I had a plumber/electricians tool kit no car tools and all i needed was a punch and mallet to unscrew the nip on the plastic retainer ring and the soldering kit.

nice one - I will take it out tomorrow, issue is I don't have any solder equipment / flux or blowlamp.....

td_w
45 minutes ago, td_w said:

nice one - I will take it out tomorrow, issue is I don't have any solder equipment / flux or blowlamp.....

Hang on a sec, why did you need to fix your fuel sender on the side of the road? Surely it only means the gauge showed no fuel?

• Like 1

Telf

Yep I'd definitely be in the 'no s*its given' school of thought if a fuel gauge packed up on a trip! :D

Ozymandis
3 hours ago, td_w said:

Hang on a sec, why did you need to fix your fuel sender on the side of the road? Surely it only means the gauge showed no fuel?

Because i was 400 miles from home in a strange rural area for 3 1/2 months and the nearest petrol station is 25 miles away,last thing I needed was to run out of fuel on the daily 50 mile commute from Truro or on the fortnightly weekend commute to Yorkshire for some sex on a weekend

Edited by Ozymandis
  • Haha 2