• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Tyres For 14" Wheels 205 1.6 Gti

Tom Fenton

Gents

I'm not far off buying some tyres for my 1.6 GTI (185-60-14)

A lot of what is available is Eco-biased stuff which isn't what I want to fit to a GTI. I am currently looking at either Yokohama C-Drive or Dunlop SP Fastresponse.

Has anyone got any directly relevant experience of these? Or a recommendation for a tyre with "sport" bias that isn't a Wanli Haida or Linglong!

Nath88n

Continental premium contact 5.

Better than the C-Drive's I had on before, never tried the Dunlops.

Tom Fenton

Just to revisit this, I have today ordered Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance in 185/60/14.

Looking at the tyre ratings these have "A" rated wet grip, the only other tyres with this are the Continentals mentioned above.

The Goodyears were £43 a piece so I will see how they fare.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Well my Goodyears have arrived, so far so good, my only criticism so far is that the sidewalls seem pretty soft. Week 18/2014 date so in 2019 when I've done 1000 miles on them it will be time for some more............

pug_ham

I've got a set of Goodyear Excellence on the rims I fitted to my 205 for doing the lakes trip a couple of years ago which I used to run on my STDT.

I agree the sidewalls are quite soft but I couldn't fault them in the time I used them & they certainly were up to the lakes trip following Ade Walker in his Mi through the corners close enough to need protection (apparently).

g

Paul_13

I've got some maxxis tyres on mine, they are pretty awesome. Only down side is the side walls are soft

Philpooma
On 6/6/2014 at 9:15 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Well my Goodyears have arrived, so far so good, my only criticism so far is that the sidewalls seem pretty soft. Week 18/2014 date so in 2019 when I've done 1000 miles on them it will be time for some more............

Tom, looking over some old tyre posts, I was wondering what the long term prognosis of the Efficient Grip Performance was from your side? 

Tom Fenton

I’d buy them again for what it is worth. Done approx 4000 miles on them.

Philpooma
2 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

I’d buy them again for what it is worth. Done approx 4000 miles on them.

Thats a pretty good test Tom, thanks

calvinhorse
On 6/6/2014 at 9:15 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Are you ready for new tyres? 

• Haha 1

Tom Fenton
2 hours ago, calvinhorse said:

Are you ready for new tyres? 

NO! There is loads left on these! When I can see the cords through the cracks in the rubber I'll consider some more :D

• Haha 1