• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Jackherer, just a thought, but you know if the pipe connections at your pinion are open/vented or bunged/air tight?

dobboy

6ehwdx.jpg

Jackherer, mines are air tight, (pipes cropped and flattened), but looking at the drawing ^, could air behind the piston cause resistance as mines is air tight?

i.e. when you turn the rack you have a vacuum at one side of the piston and it would be compressing air at the other side?

I'm pretty sure mines is really free moving when on stands but I'm going to check just to see.

Anthony

The hydraulic ram containing the piston is external on a 205/306 type rack, so you just remove the complete ram and it becomes effectively a non-PAS rack - just the hydraulic valving/shuttle part remains which isn't doing anything effectively.

• Like 1

dobboy

Ah I see Anthony.

wicked

I just fitted a ZX (2.6) rack without the PAS (coming from 3.8 non-PAS), but was also a bit disappointed. It is really heavy with 2.0T lump!

I removed the PAS/ram to get it ready for a roadtrip and did not have time+parts to convert it to PAS in one go, but it will definitely get PAS after the trip.

Edited by wicked

wicked

The pressure on the tires was a bit low.... So it improved bit, but still heavy.

Mac Crash

No, your right Jack, great car in it's own right... just kind of resent it being referred to as "Classic Mini" when it is actually "The" Mini.

The BMW car doesn't do anything that a 100 other cars won't do... but the only the Mini was able to do what it could it do in it's era, nothing replicated it.

What do people think is the best PAS rack on a 205? The OE from the late cars?

Andy

Phase two VTS rack with nearly 2.7 turns lock to lock ( thank you Welshpug) minus the hydraulic ram and with electric assistance in the column is great . Still slightly heavier than my R53 mini at parking speeds but still o.k and lovely on the move . It is heavier than the assisted 205 gti (3.2) but definitely more fluid on the move. As my eps is adjustable, I can turn down the assistance to zero( small potentiometer mounted below the rhs air vent. Without assistance, I agree with Tom. The car becomes dangerous as the steering is far too heavy for rapid steering inputs at low and medium speeds.

dobboy

New flexi fuel pipes fitted, ready for MOT, and now back in garage as it's stuck behind an 8 yard skip for a few days...............and the weather is crap anyway.

IMG_8277.thumb.JPG.964b0beb2ab0e012f6dfc90356052b03.JPG

Edited by dobboy

dobboy

A white or grey one needs to go...........

S1 easiest to let go....... comfiest and fastest by a far but hardly used. (as i keep it good)

JCW is the funnest of them and offers good comfort and is not slow.... and probably the car i'd be least careful in on a windy road.

Put lot's of work and time into the 205 but it's never used, it hopefully gains a little in value but costs me garage space.

JCW - replaceable by another Mini of the GP variety further down the line.

S1 - replaceable by an S1 or something else.

205 - would i want to replace it..... maybe, but probably only with a project 205.

Tough decision.

IMG_8276_LI.thumb.jpg.fffbae755dffffa6de37dd2828807c26.jpg

Robbiedundy

Don't sell the 205 the others are easily replaced :D

Mac Crash

Likewise, 205 is something you will miss and ireplaceable.... the others although great cars are ten a penny today and who knows what will happen now.

Use it and enjoy it, improve it, live it ;-)

Only car that has really scared me, right foot shakes when I get out of it, probably because evry time I use it, it tries to kill me.

I've had many very quick Mini's (1960 - 1970 era) but the 205 is just something very different, it's difficult to explain.

You can watch many video reviews of them online and most of them speak s*ite simply put becuase they can't really drive a car quickly.

The foreign lad (can't mind his name) was spot on because he could actuallt drive and understand it, sublime gearbox, balance the car, understand it...

The 205 will teach you things... the others on your driveway won't! my 2 bob anyway.