• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Yeah Mac, i'm loving it lol, if it's dry the roof comes off! and it can be put down or up in less than a minute. I've got the cover for the hood too, but thought better of putting it on in the scottish climate.

It's came up well, but admit you can't see the stone chips on the bonnet that i've touched up, but i'll eventually get that fixed, and also the rusty bit in the bay where the brakelines run.

I'm surprised how nippy this wee thing is, and it's no bouncy castle either and it drives well on the windy roads.

Checked servicebox and the CJ stickers/logo for it are NFP which is a pity as there is not one clip missing in the bay, even still has all the little polythene bags still intact on dizzy, earth blocks etc etc.

£410.01 - great buy!

post-23841-0-92992000-1401267949_thumb.jpg

welshpug

Jonnygoodhand could sort the cj vinyl im sure.

dobboy

cheers WP i'll PM him. Worse case the people who do the logo etc on our work vans should be able to get close to it. I'm thinking of getting it done in a grey colour scheme, the purple is too girly ish.

dobboy

Not much progress on my car this week, other than it went on the back of a trailer and off to the paintshop.

I'd previously tried to get it there via an "A" frame last week..... it didn't work..... don't even try it..... they are far too crude.

But, the guy who did transport my car for me this week, (nephews, girlfreinds, brother) had a look over my car and a listen to what i've done.

He won his class (A1) scottish road rally championship in 2012 (by a lot), in a home built enginbe/car, 141bhp 1.4 Pug 106, (his dad did all my PC'ing and the bit of welding for me).

He was fair impressed by the aesthitics and the parts chosen/changed, and say's "feck a roll cage and a bucket in it and never mind the paint!"

I explained, it's not a track car, and that i'm trying to make something half decent for the road which is capable of going round Knockhill on an odd track day...... and that i don't intend going round the track on two wheels.

Anyway, after he explained the pitfalls of how the extra weight of the 16V, my brakes, the ATB diff, and rear suspension, will all operate together, he's offered to take me to Kames (where it's quiet, but single track) and teach me how not to go into a hedge backwards. He also thinks it's likely i'll need to fit a back brake bias valve. (Fortuneately i've pre-empted this and left spare brake pipe in a couple of places on the run to the rears.)

On a more positive note, he saw the CJ and asked ,,,,, is that the 1360 version?, i said yeah, he said let me know if you want the best out of it, that's the engine i based my engine on.

dobboy

The CJ.

Not had too much free time this week, but what i did have i've put into this little darling.

Had a few decent nights weather wise, so made excuses and popped the hood back and headed for the B roads several times, sometimes accompanied and sometimes not.

I really love this little car, it is great fun. Just now it's a bit hesitant to start, (or i haven't mastered the manual choke) or, which i'm putting it down to is, it needs a cap, rotar arm and plugs etc, but once it's going it never misses a beat and is very eager to please.

Even in this CJ (which most would likely describe as an 80's hairdressers car), i'm swiftly reminded of the nimbleness of the 205 and how it wants to follow the curves and camber of the road. It really reminds me of my old 1.6 from back in the day. It might just be my age/fear, but once rolling i don't think there would be much separating them,....... apart from braking power. The braking power is pure sheet, and going down gears is a must if you plan to stop, i'm not sure you could stop in a hurry!

Our nearly new Audi A3 is now just a pain in the erse! i say get rid of it!

Anyway, between me an the GF we have now clocked up a few fun miles in it (250ish), and got some approving looks from both the oldies and the local young team!

(when parked today I heard a few comments about how much cleaner it was than the young Neds pals car which made me chuckle to myself)

Yeah well wait to you see this ones big brother when it's finished ya fud! i thought to myself.

Put a spare set of 15" SMR's i had in to get PC'd black for the CJ, but now thinking/advised they'll be too big and so gonna put a set of 14" SL's i also have in to get PC'd black...... all my gathering is paying off!, and obviously i'm getting mates rates on the PC'ing.

Workwise I removed the rusty looking tow bar and the back end is looking good now. Also removed some sort of audio warning system that was tied into the indicator circuit, and the tow bar electrics.

Went to the scrappies today where there are two CJ's, one of which has been erm..... modified, interesting that the unmodified one also had a similar tow bar and i'm now wondering if this was a popular option on them?

Got a headlight, aerial (long enough to fish with) , clip for the fusebox, and an almost new looking bonnet soundproofing for fifteen squid.

Had good weather all day, so fitted all the new bits, gave the car a quick wipe, got the roof down and headed for the clydeside with some choons blaring.

I really hope my car has the feel of this car, if not better..... it had a similar feel with the 1.9 in it, but will it have it with a cast 2.0?.....

dobboy

What's the chances of this happening..... cleaned all the windows inside and out and gave the car a wipe, and parked it up.

Went back to the car 20 mins later only to find, not a birds*it, but a (blackbirds) birds egg! splattered on the side of the window, with the shell broken up all over the front interior!

I recon a bird has stolen it from anothers nest and dropped it, or a bird has laid it in mid flight! lol

Anyway.... a couple of pics showing how the back end is tidied up with the removal of the tow bar.

A new set of plates have arrived that i ordered, so hopefully fit them tonight if the weather is dry.

I've been using a car cover (£8 off the bay) to keep the car clean overnight and it seems to be working good.

post-23841-0-52388700-1401715288_thumb.jpg

Anthony

I'd previously tried to get it there via an "A" frame last week..... it didn't work..... don't even try it..... they are far too crude.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with an A-frame and I've towed hundreds of miles using them over the years - most of that has been towing 205's too, the record being dragging one back from Thurso (a few miles from John O'Groats) to just outside London in a single hit one (long) night.

If you were having issues I can only assume that it was down to you either not fitting it properly, the towed car isn't in a fit state to be towed, or your technique is wrong. The towed car will behave differently to a trailer and you need to drive accordingly, but providing that you keep that in mind and ensure that the towed car has steering/suspension/tires in good order they are really nice to tow with I find.

The only reason I don't use it so much these days is that a friend of mine has a decent Brian James trailer that he's happy for me to use and because the cars I've needed to move recently haven't been roadworthy.

Sound like you got a good buy on the CJ though and it's scrubbed up nicely :)

dobboy

Thanks Anthony, I don't know much about A frames, but when I seen the angle one my wheels were at and how close it was fixed to the drop links I called a hault to it, and got it trailered.

Maybe it was that particular one they had, I don't know, a few days earlier they had pulled a car from Dublin to Glasgow on it without any problem but I wasn't happy with mines getting pulled with it.

Yeah the little CJ is coming along.

dobboy

Not a lot to show for this week regarding my car. But got a couple of things done.

Have decided to get my seats revamped professionally and managed to get a firm quote on what i want done/what i can spend, so the front seats are going with the back covers to follow later. I should be sending them off at the tail end of next week as he won't be available to accept from the courier and earlier. I know the guy has done loads of them and I've seen a set he's done previously in the flesh and they looked very good.

Not heard anything from the painters but might nip down one night next week and see how it's going.

The CJ

Collected a set of wheels i had had given to a freind to take to work and get PC'd on the fly. They have a bit of orange peel about them as they were bead blasted.

Thankfully the wheels for mine have been done at a wheel refurbishers and are like a sheet of glass.

These ones only cost me £40 quid to get done compared to the £200 mines cost so mustn't grumble.

Have heard mixed reports as to whether 15" can be fitted to base models without issue, so i'll just need to try them and see. I'll need to wait until i get my car back to try them out as i'll be using the tyres that are on the wheels that are on it just now.

post-23841-0-34829500-1402082188_thumb.jpg

Edited by dobboy

dobboy

Have been keeping the CJ under a car cover that i bought off the bay whilst my garage is like Steptoes yard, it really does the trick in keeping it clean, and the bottoms elasticated so it doesn't take off with the wind.

post-23841-0-98269000-1402082832_thumb.jpg

Had good weather day today so changed the plugs, leads, and air filter. The air filter was a strange one, and looked ancient, and i had to do a bit of engineering to make the new one fit.

Got a new filter and oil for it and gonna put a flush through it tomorrow but the weather forecast is cack.

Also gonna put my old 1.9 front discs and pads on as i think one of the front brakes is sticky.

Starting the car is a bit odd..... it requires the slightest bit of choke to start even if it's warm, then i can remove the choke right away.

Had a few wee blasts in it when it's been dry and sunny and all is good.

dobboy

Went and seen my car on Fri night and it's sitting ready to go into oven/booth.

They uncovered some underlying catty/fibreglass on the OS lower back quarter when sanding down, but have cut it out and welded in a plate.

They've also put some kind of treatment on any bits that might cause problems in the future.

The doors bonnet etc are all off and sitting on stands, prep'd and ready for painting too, and there are a lot more dings than i had thought that have been fixed right accross the car.

The painter said he managed to get a deal on some kind of paint, which he was surprised about and stressed was top stuff.

He showed me the mixed paint (code EWT), and we compared it to the car, and to the CJ too. It looks white, until you compare it to something that is white. Far from being white it's more a concretey/milk colour.

We also agreed what colour i want for my bumpers/kit etc, I used the back of an unfaded bit of trim to show him, and he txt me on Saturday to say he got it mixed.

So far i'm really happy i chose these guys as they seem to be trying to do the best they can and make the paint job last.

Here's how my skirts look

post-23841-0-83050300-1403419827_thumb.jpg

On another note, a guy from Peugeot was in his garage and they showed him my conversion. The painter said the guy was fair impressed which was nice to hear.

They think i'll have the car back by next friday.......

Also visited a scrappy and managed to convince the guy his two 1.6GTI seats were knacked and he let me destroy them to get two good bolsters (£5!), and i picked up an unfaded parcel shelf, headlight for CJ, and some better lecky window switches. The scrappy also has a complete "pimped" out CJ with a mint hood..... he wants £75 for it.....maybe later.

I have to have my seats delivered down south for next Fri.

Edited by dobboy

dobboy

Went over to see "happypatrol" from this forum and we had a wee blast of each others cars. He's put a load of work into his and it's looking very healthy/smart indeed, inside, outside, and underneath, and it drives great.

Had to get a shot of CJ and GTI together.

post-23841-0-58673300-1403421758_thumb.jpg

post-23841-0-90717900-1403421865_thumb.jpg

dobboy

boot floor now painted.

post-23841-0-37597400-1403611560_thumb.jpg

Bogsye

Looking good! The progress I dream of!!

dobboy

Collected the car as planned on Saturday, and to my relief i am very very happy with it.

post-23841-0-10194500-1404107492_thumb.jpg

And all the trim painted.....

post-23841-0-88304800-1404107556_thumb.jpg

dobboy

Blew the car out with a compressor, and set about the rebuild.

post-23841-0-74516600-1404107781_thumb.jpg

post-23841-0-33158000-1404107729_thumb.jpg

dobboy

Managed to crack both lips of the tailgate trim......but the painter has more paint left, but will try glue first.

post-23841-0-95830700-1404108029_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's beginning to take shape (after a full day at it), and i couldn't be any happier with the colours of trim and the paint job on them. Any little nicks were flattened and a haze of texturizer put on.

post-23841-0-24098200-1404108074_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

Can you get a close up of the trim to show what the texture looks like now?

dobboy

GLP, this photo i have at hand sort of shows it.... the bright bit is my flash, the trim has very little sheen, but you can see the texture.

I'll try get a better pic next time i'm at the car.

post-23841-0-84111800-1404134155_thumb.jpg

I also got my mirrors done in black (without texture), and the roof spoiler (not sure if he added any texture or not).

All the plastics look like new and the painter is confident it will stand the test of time.

This photo gives a better idea of the colour i went for too for the grey.

dobboy

Fitting the scuttle panel has been the most difficult job since getting the car back. I ended up running a bit of 1.5mm wire under the window rubber, and fitting it like a windscreen.

So far so good, but think i'll need to get exhaust adjusted as its sitting a bit close to rear valance for my liking.

post-23841-0-03837500-1404242707_thumb.jpg

My refurbished seat should be here on Monday, and all the interior is sitting power washed, cleaned, and treated.

dobboy

Some progress.....

post-23841-0-04575200-1404578332_thumb.jpg