• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

m@ttc

Peugeot/citroen Loom Connectors

m@ttc

found this site, a quite interesting read thought id share it with you. Lists the part numbers for loom connectors and terminals etc.

http://ryanmoore.comule.com/

Edited by jackherer
link updated
  • Like 2

SwedishBob

Thanks for the tip! :)

Ryan

Glad someone found it useful. It doesn't get a ton of hits (20-30 a month), but there's one person who's been looking at it 3 or 4 times a week since xmas.

It's a shame Peugeot are so annoying about selling the parts only in bags of 4 or 5 for the plastic housings, and of 10 or 20 for the terminals. The prices aren't great, but if you could just buy what you wanted it wouldn't be too bad, but you end up having to buy five times more than you need and the prices really start adding up. If you could buy a single housing + terminals as a set for a couple of quid then they might actually sell any of them ever.

Stu

I really wish I'd seen this before i chopped off my brown plugs because i couldn't find a pair for the engine loom anywhere. :(

given the amount of time people ask for the brown multiplugs i wonder if it'd be worth organising a group buy?

welshpug

or just some enterprising person to buy a bag and offer them for sale on the forum :)

cybernck

Perhaps you could write it in the form of an article for the website as well?

That way it would get much more hits too :).

Rob_the_Sparky

I may be buying some soon as both my sidelight connectors are knackered giving me a bit of an MOT issue! Was planning to talk to Pug last weekend but got there after the parts place closes. I don't see why a decent number of contacts shouldn't be bought, but then I'm yet to find out how much they want for them! As I have 2 kids to chase after and a TVR to keep on the road I don't get much time to play with the Pug at the moment :(

Ryan: did you ever find the part number for the 2 pin plug used on the side light? It is still missing but thought on a previous thread you said that you had found it.

jackherer

They are very expensive Rob, although I bet they are bargains compared to what you use at work! ;)

Ryan

Terminals are about 50-80p each, which is why it quickly adds up when you have to buy bags of 20 in a couple of different sizes. Although to be honest you could just use the 1mm terminals for everything as they crimp onto the other sizes of cable well enough, especially if you solder over them afterwards.

Ryan: did you ever find the part number for the 2 pin plug used on the side light? It is still missing but thought on a previous thread you said that you had found it.

2-pin white plugs aren't they? The part number is there.

Edited by Ryan

Rob_the_Sparky

2-pin white plugs aren't they? The part number is there.

Ah yeah they are, was looking under yellow, I guess that is just age discolouring mine!

Rob_the_Sparky

Terminals are about 50-80p each, which is why it quickly adds up when you have to buy bags of 20 in a couple of different sizes. Although to be honest you could just use the 1mm terminals for everything as they crimp onto the other sizes of cable well enough, especially if you solder over them afterwards.

50-80p each is very steep for a simple crimp contact but I guess they have a captive audience. Would make replacing contacts on both halves of the brown multiplug pretty expensive but an OK solution for my sidelights. If I remember I'll ask about bulk discounts but it being Peugeot I don;t suppose that will wash.

Rob

Oh and Kieran, no not that much compared to some of the stuff we use here but the budget is a bit different!

jackherer

I managed to buy some of the male crimps for the brown multiplugs from RS or Farnell a few years ago, it took ages to find them and I have since lost the part number but those ones are out there if you look hard enough.

Rob_the_Sparky

I managed to buy some of the male crimps for the brown multiplugs from RS or Farnell a few years ago, it took ages to find them and I have since lost the part number but those ones are out there if you look hard enough.

I guess you took some out and then hunted for one that looked similar rather than knowing the actual manufacturer?

jackherer

Initially yes but I figured out pretty quickly they are all by Tyco which is now known as TE Connectivity. IIRC the connector family is FASTIN/FASTON or something along those lines, but obviously 30 years has passed since Peugeot picked them out of a catalogue and the range isn't the same.

Rob_the_Sparky

Thanks, I'll have a poke around. Familiar with TE...

Edit: Well FASTON are still available, quite easily, now to check the details to find out for sure that they are compatible. That bit may take a bit longer but looking hopeful. Price per terminal is much lower but typically the MOQ is 100 parts so for a one off job not much different unless the left overs are sold.

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky

welshpug

Peugeot may have picked them from a catalogue 30 years ago, but they still used them on cars till the middle of the last decade, they quickly disappeared when they introduced multiplex and smaller gauge wiring.

Rob_the_Sparky

FYI:

I tried to order some contacts from the Pug dealer at the weekend and:

Female blade terminal for plugs

6542 22 is no longer available

6542 19 is 48p per contact and pack size of 20

I hope to compare the parts I get with the TE FASTON catalogue as certainly looks like these are the same. If this comes off I hope to order contacts and directly compare, although the catalogue certainly looks like they are the same parts I'm a bit paranoid. Generally the contacts are less than 10p each from various suppliers but MOQ is about 100, if this comes off then the price is about the same but everything will be available and you get a lot more contacts for your money :)

Rob

P.S. this may take a while as I'm a bit distracted by children, work, TVR, etc...

• Like 1

jackherer

Nice one Rob, I spent a long time going through the TE catalogues and I found it very confusing so I know what you mean when you say paranoid, there are definitely a lot of very similar looking terminals that may or may not be the right ones.

If you have to order a large amount I'd definitely be interested in some if that helps.

Anthony

If you have to order a large amount I'd definitely be interested in some if that helps.

Ditto.

Rob_the_Sparky

Right, I have some contacts from Peugeot (6542.19) and they are not FASTON parts. Almost certainly some of the connections are FASTON as I can recognise the housings but the side light style connections are not (crimp is a very different type). Not yet found the range but given that some are from TE you might expect that the others are as well, some investigation to do.

In digging about I have found this:

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/D03085-000?RQPN=AD-1522-1-CRMP-TL-PEUGEOT

It lists some Peugeot/Citreon numbers and cross references them to manufacturer part numbers. Pretty sure they aren't 205 parts but might be useful to someone in the community.

• Like 1

jackherer

Nice work Rob, sounds like you're getting somewhere, certainly further than I did :lol:

I just looked up a couple of the part numbers in that pdf on servicebox, the first one I tried (977639) wasn't listed for any vehicles but the second (653889) is a soldersleeve I think and IS listed for 205s for harness repairs! That could be useful for anyone wanting to keep everything OEM that needs a wiring fix.

Grim.Badger

I bought some of the males (6542.V5) a few years ago and still have four left, and bought the females (6542.19 and 6542.20) last year and have loads left as I haven't actually done what I bought them for! A few of the females turned up the next day, but most went on back order and took about a week, I kept expecting to get the call saying "turns out they're not available." I think I got the part number from Ryan a while back, so thanks :)

I wouldn't recommend changing the terminals on the brown multiplug though, as the wires themselves are normally badly corroded; I split one open a while back and found that the corrosion reach back down the wire for about a foot! The sensors work much better if the multiplug loom is bypassed all the way back to the dash, my oil pressure sensor even worked after changing the whole wire!

Rob_the_Sparky

Out of interest, I'm pretty sure the Brown multi-plug is a Faston type, there is certainly a type of FASTON connector shell that looks like this. Also the single pin connectors (mostly sensors) also look like they are of the FASTON type. However, at the moment the side light is my issue and the crimp from Peugeot is certainly not FASTON and the connector shell is also different. I'm wondering if it is discontinued as I've yet to find it but not giving up hope just yet...

jackherer

The sidelights and the brown multiplug are definitely the same, I just went and checked to make sure I wasn't going mad. The only difference is the number of terminals and the housing colours.

Can you post a pic of yours please Rob?

BTW I've got a vague memory of Citroen Xantias using the same sidelight bulb holder as a 205 but with a power timer connector, if that's right they would make a good replacement, power timers are sealed so should stay corrosion free for much longer.