• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

Wallby

I read it! Its difficult to reply to something like this, but its interesting to see what people are doing to their 205s.

ATK

Yeah not expecting replies as such as some of the updates are pretty boring but good to see people still on the forum, quieter since facebook groups popped up and all that!

ATK

Gave the Pug a well overdue coolant drain and flush this weekend, and solved my coolant leak - the thermo to rad hose was split slightly. New one fitted from Baker BM and all is well...for now!! 

it’s also the cars 30th birthday this month so treated it to a full machine polish! 190k miles so far on the clock

6A0EA3ED-67C7-4887-9250-E43C2D1BED35.jpeg

3363F49D-29ED-4A8D-8304-4A865A65B9B3.jpeg

• Like 2

ATK

MOT time yesterday and all well, aside from an advisory for rear fuel rubber pipe starting to corrode, so need to sort that.

Few other little jobs need looking at as still got a bit of a leak and I think it might be coming from between the block the thermostat housing.

Also got a bit of a rattle from the cam backplate which has been there for years which I need to have a look at!

And also clearly need to drive it more as only did 245 miles in the last year!

• Like 1

Banjo

She's a beauty mate. Would you consider selling please? This forum used to be great now it's dead and covered in adverts?

Edited by Banjo

ATK

Thanks bud! Hah, this one is staying with me to the grave I'm afraid!

Few jobs done this week that were well overdue:

- New thermostat housing cap, new thermostat and seal. Had a minor coolant leak for pretty much the last 6 years - now finally solved, really should have done this before!

- Replaced rubber hosing from fuel pump to pipes under car. Old ones were perishing and definately needed doing!

- Replaced oil tower and oil filler pipe. The filler pipe had split at the bottom, did an oil change, chatting away to my mate and didn't notice oil was pissing out over the floor! Baker BM to the rescue with a new pipe and all is well again.

Just about to hit 190K miles.

ATK

Time flies, new MoT last month and a pass with no advisories - washer pump decided to conk out just before but just needed wiring stripping back.

Need to do more miles in her this year but a Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet I bought last year is stealing some of the 205’s miles!

C18C1E34-844C-4E2D-8CC7-3B92B36F408C.jpeg

Edited by ATK
  • Like 3

barneys66
On 2/4/2023 at 8:34 PM, ATK said:

Time flies, new MoT last month and a pass with no advisories - washer pump decided to conk out just before but just needed wiring stripping back.

Need to do more miles in her this year but a Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet I bought last year is stealing some of the 205’s miles!

Nice!  I had a two year fling with a 1.8 and thoroughly enjoyed it; better built but nowhere near as fun to drive (but then it wasn't a GTi)

36863813216_ea9c6f0e1f_c.jpg

• Like 1

ATK

Not much news in 205 world! Booked in for MOT early Jan, and cambelt time as it was last done 10 years ago, so better had I suppose!

Added a Clio 172 Cup to the fleet this month (previously had a 172 back in 2009) which is a great mix between 205-style rawness and more modern (ish!) build. 

IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_3477.jpeg

ATK

Few jobs done this week after failing the MOT - first fail for about 9 years, so not bad.

- New cambelt, waterpump and aux belt

- Rear wheel bearing

- Rear brake hose

- Oil and filter change

- Coolant flush and change

- Handbrake adjustment

Advisory remains for a slight oil leak but not bothered about that. The MOT tester was very picky - so pretty pleased with the fail list as could have been alot worse! Had a good look underneath on the ramps and some light surface rusting here and there on the sills etc but nothing major.

Since my initial restoration from 2014-2016 I've not really had to spend a huge amount on the old girl, so the few jobs above we not unexpected - as I say every year, must use her more this year....!

• Like 1

ATK

Oh and also replaced the rather crusty metal coolant pipe in the drivers side arch!