• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

Oh and Gtechniq C4 vs Plasticare....

Plasticare wins, by a long long way. Spoke too soon re C4, it quickly faded and showed rain marks after a day.

Plasticare is simply awesome and has held out :)

• Like 2

ATK

This weekend:

Replaced passenger door trim clips and red insert.

Ran head cleaner on tape deck.

Had a bloody good thrashing drive and gave my mate a go.

Considered cleaning it again but resisted.

New rear beam, dampers all round and springs next week!

ATK

Interesting bit of info...made a spreadsheet detailing everything the car has ever had done to it by date (went through the thick folder of receipts sorting, putting into order etc).

Based on the receipts I have (which due to the amount/dates etc I believe to be comprehensive, including parts, ebay and paypal parts purchases etc)....

.....Total amount spent since car was brand new back in 1991 - £11,900 so far.

• Like 1

nveeate

Interesting bit of info...made a spreadsheet detailing everything the car has ever had done to it by date (went through the thick folder of receipts sorting, putting into order etc).

Based on the receipts I have (which due to the amount/dates etc I believe to be comprehensive, including parts, ebay and paypal parts purchases etc)....

.....Total amount spent since car was brand new back in 1991 - £11,900 so far.

Considering the age and the mileage on it, under £500 per year in maintenance and repairs isnt bad really!

ATK

Pretty good really I thought! Interesting to add it all up.

• Like 1

Daviewonder

Sod the cost, I want more photos!

ATK

More to come when suspensions done this week :)

ATK

This week:

Exhaust manifold gaskets done + downpipe fitting kit - standard exhaust now sounds great!

New rear beam (35mm drop), Bilstein B4 Dampers all round, Eibach 7001 front Springs, GrpA solid rear mounts, new standard front mounts.

Excuse crap pic - getting dark and I was tired!

New beam and suspension setup has transformed the car - simply an AMAZING difference IMO. Front needs to settle and drop a little but overall very pleased.

received_m_mid_1394536932616_0012b4aeeb3received_m_mid_1394536932616_0012b4aeeb3received_m_mid_1394536932616_0012b4aeeb3jIMAG1154.jpgreceived_m_mid_1394536932616_0012b4aeeb3

• Like 1

Wallby

Where did you get the beam from after?

ATK

R Mountjoy (formerly SSP Engineering). Did a good job I think.

ATK

Not much by way of jobs today. Swapped my dash switches around so they are the right way up, fitted a new bulb behind heater controls - nice and bright! Fitted another LCD clock - last one didnt last very long! Gave it a good clean and then went for a blast up Brecon way for a few hours - awesome afternoon for it, and the suspension setup is amazing! Onto the pics!

IMAG1180.jpgIMAG1179.jpgIMAG1178.jpgIMAG1176.jpgIMAG1174.jpgIMAG1173.jpg

welshpug

Sort those handbrake cables :P

ATK

Hah, well spotted - only the one side hangs down - always has done...cable tie it up or will that affect its operation?!

ATK

Just figured out I need clips, part no citroen 4754.13 should work, anyone got any?:)

ATK

Few jobs done this weekend. Fitted correct matching AXO rear lenses. Clipped the handbrake cables back up with the proper clips, fitted a new aerial cable as the old cable wasn't working (routed it passenger side rather than drivers side and left original down drivers side - much easier!), took off the SAD and gave it a good clean out and refitted (bitch of a job to bolt it back up), fitted a new ECU coolant temp sensor. Also fitted a nice new set of side badges and cleared away all the old Tigerseal etc, looks much better.

Also had a go at refurbishing the spoiler, mine was very very weathered and patchy. Used 200 - 2500 - 3000 wet sandpaper then plasticare. Came up pretty good aside for a couple of shinier bits on the edges! Much better overall though! Updated pics below....

spoiler.jpgnew6.jpgnew5.jpgnew4.jpgnew3.jpgnew1.jpgnew.jpg

• Like 1

Wes

my rear lights were like yours, faded and white. i would get some new rear lights, they arn't that much. i got mine from here http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/rear-light

the tint fades over time and new ones freshen up the rear and makes the bulbs brighter again.

lovely car though, i always wanted a steel grey, the best colour they did on the 205.

0272.jpg

ATK

Look great mate - I did look to buy those but my rear light units are AXO rather than Valeo so those won't fit and I couldn't source any new AXO lenses. So the ones I got were the best I could find!

Wes

the valeos come with new back plate/reflectors.

ATK

Yeah but they are a different fitment and dont clip onto axo bulb units

cybernck

Those are not faded. Even old Valeos are not faded as such. Rather, new ones seem to have much darker indicators.

Wes

But the valeos come as a complete light unit with new bulb holder reflector plate. Ready to bolt straight on.

ATK

Couple of jobs done this evening - lighter evenings are great :) Managed to fit my new vac advance. Seems to have improved the acceleration, I think. Also retracked my AFM. Test will be tomorow morning when cold again!

Still need someone who knows what they are doing to do a full setup on my engine, but done everything I can do myself so far. Coming along bit by bit and it's been a good learning curve!

nveeate

Might just be the photo, but looks like the rear window sticker you had made still has the backing plastic on it. If not, you could trim the edges back?

ATK

Need to smooth out the air bubbles with a card :)

• Like 1