• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

DamirGTI

I see , then , the obvious solution with regards to taxing newer cars living in Netherlands is : sell the Polo and keep the 205 instead as an daily drive ! B) .. seems economic sense , + new cars are kinda crap/dull and expensive to maintain anyways .

Thus personally i wouldn't mind that at all , 205 has been my daily for 18 years , and as it seems will be so in the future "till the rust break us apart" !

D

Steve205

We get 2 years NCT (mot) here in Ireland on cars over 30 years also. Annual road tax of €56 too. When car reaches 40 it's exempt from car testing..... Roll on 2029...

Stephen.

DamirGTI

Not possible over here , no matter the year the car was maid it's the same s*** system ..1 years worth MOT for all except brand new cars which think have 2 years MOT from new till they end up being 2/3 years old then it's the same , needs new MOT on 1 year expiration basis .

For older cars +30 years old , only option is to apply/register it as an "old-timer" history vehicle , then the MOT and insurance is around 50% off the usual price so cheaper but still on 1 year renewal basis ! ..

In order to get it register as an history vehicle , it needs to go to the special inspection center to get the certificate (sometimes it passes , sometimes not ..) plus the price of all this acrobatic experience getting the certificate and all the rest is really not worth the bother financially nor for mental health .. for the sake of some % discount price on yearly MOT .

But the most ridiculous thing is , when it finally gets the certificate and history vehicle title (includes special plates too) gets the valid years worth MOT , by the traffic law , you cannot really use it/drive it on a daily basis like a regular daily drive . Can drive it/use it only for traveling to-and.from "old-timer" history vehicle gatherings/festivals and similar , old car events and the likes !

Said last year at the MOT station , what the F***  is the use of all that then i want to be able to drive it daily , not periodically and hiding it for the rest of the year in the garage or on the driveway and performing visual and mental masturbation sitting and looking at it . :wacko:

D

Telf

Today I spent the afternoon trying to resolve my cold idle slight issue.

I know the easy way to fix it, buy a motor controlled air valve for the ECU to operate... 

So anyway I decided to try and refit the original SAD and see how the ECU dealt with that. Short story it didn't work!

Massively too much air with the idle showing a ridiculous lean burn at 20 on the air ratio. Fine when driving obviously as your opening up the throttle so the air leak via the SAD is neither here nor there.

Back to the sensible plan of ordering a new bit and wiring it in. I'm just being bone idle really. :)

Thijs_Rallye
On 7/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, DamirGTI said:

I see , then , the obvious solution with regards to taxing newer cars living in Netherlands is : sell the Polo and keep the 205 instead as an daily drive ! B) .. seems economic sense , + new cars are kinda crap/dull and expensive to maintain anyways . 

I've used this 205 as a daily for 3 years. I drive about 25 to 30k each year and with the current petrol prices it is practically unaffordable (almost 2€/l now). The 205 costs about 275€ tax per year. It should've been tax free for 5 years now, but they scrapped that tax ruling since our government decided these do not qualify as a classic car.

DamirGTI

True , petrol prices are insane (diesel also) ... used to run mine on LPG , think i'll repeat the process for the following years .

D

petert

Historical plates are reasonable here in NSW, Australia. I can’t speak for other states however. The car needs to be 30+ years old, standard, get a pink slip ($30) and be approved by a car club. Then it’s $60 per year for rego. You can drive it 60 days per year (log booked) and to club events. 

Driving it 1 in 6 days is exceptional I believe. I’m just getting my Mi16x4 ready and I’ll change my Nissan Patrol over as well next year.

barneys66

Some carb tinkering on Saturday - still not 100% happy with the idle but they're nicely balanced.

Autosolo on Sunday went well though - managed to remain fault free for once so very pleased with 1st in class and 2nd overall.  Tyre pressures too low so finished off a pair of fronts but was nice whilst it lasted, and reminded me of the need to fit those 309 arms sat on the shelf..

Last time I wore #13 I blew my headgasket, so it was good to put those demons to bed, but as my lucky number is 26 I'm now sure that having 13 on both sides is a good thing..

51429682067_4bd53a1e42_h.jpg

51429682342_e839fbd522_h.jpg

51430443101_56e1323fe5_h.jpg

• Like 1

keeperlit

Took my 89 GTi6  for MoT today, and it only failed on one thing after being laid up for 7 years!

Unfortunately that one thing is the roof and B pillar rust

Time for a new roof, or more likely a new shell...

I really did enjoy being out for a drive in it again. Too bad I'll have to cancel the insurance but on the plus side I'm inside the 14 days cooling off period

IMG_20210915_184005.jpg

wicked

Nice effort! 

I copied the Murray axle stands and added 2  2m-rulers to measure the toe; diff measured at the front and back and calculate the toe with excel...

Still need to do a similar back side frame to get the steering wheel really centered.

360.jpg360.jpg

Replicates the wheel with weight on it, but with freedom to do measurements:

360.jpg

Edited by wicked

SweetBadger

That looks good - I like that you can easily measure / move the tracking without the wheels on.

I used a couple of magazines under each tyre as makeshift turn plates - works well, but is still awkward to get to the track rods to adjust with wheels on.