• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

Tom Fenton
11 hours ago, 205turbo said:

added a couple of gauges to my 1.9 Td van, 

one is for boost temp and the other water temp

gauge2.jpg

gauge1.jpg

D4703201-9DC5-4710-961C-E029792FE73D.jpeg

acox99

Took it out of its winter hideout, Taxed it and so far haven’t stopped using it. 

• Haha 1

toolie72

Gave all my neighbours a laugh by cleaning my best spare timing belt covers in the garden with thinners and a toothbrush (ocd??)

Justin

Few jobs for mine...

Changed the heater matrix for a Nissens replacement - £30 on ebay. Also changed the heater blower motor for a slightly less ratty one.

I now have a heat in the cabin, rather than the warm blow of an asmathic ant! Not a bad job to do using the guidance on here.

I did attempt to change the radiator fan speed switch but due to the ineptitude of GSF I couldn't! Grrr!

Also changed the wiper motor for a 106 replacement which seems to have sped the wipers up a good bit. 

Lastly, changed the front discs and pads (standard 1.6). I had fitted Pagid discs and Bendix pads about 1000 road miles ago. Whilst up on the ramp I noticed the discs were pretty badly scored, so took the liberty of changing them for a new set of Brembo discs and pads which will hopefully fare better. I can only assume the Bendix pads have some pretty large and solid bits of metal in them that don't like Pagid discs!

Thijs_Rallye

Got some new hoses made for my heat exchanger because the aeroquip ones kept weeping. Sand blasted and painted a spare mi16 sump which is going to be assembled soon. 

Cleaned my TD pump and replaced the pressure relieve valve. Adapted the sump to the new strainer position. 

Hopefully everything can be fitted this Thursday on a lift at a mate of mine. 

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

AlexRS2782

Collected mine from Miles - enjoyed a decent drive home now it's running well again.  Thankfully didn't end up with a written off car as the muppet behind me towing his caravan looked up just in time to apply the brake and stop himself from whacking into my rear end after traffic slowed near the Winchester services.

Also enjoyed a far more relaxing / quieter trip along the M27 / M3 courtesy of the new Torque Technique exhaust - no more drone over 3k revs / or when sitting at 60+ anymore.

Booked it in for a, long overdue, full detail next week.

Waiting on a call back early next week regarding pricing for refurbing either my EXIP alloys or the current Speedlines - possibly in a dark anthractite colour or back to standard silver.

Aiming to spend some of the weekend making plans for the future of the car body / paint / resto wise. 

Edited by AlexRS2782

jeremy

Given it a bit of welly with my right foot, lots of smiles from me, and discovered my radio turns up to 35 at which point I thought the windows were about to explode :)

It's like I've rediscovered my time machine. Now I've just got to get my hair back.

• Like 2

jeremy

More from me I'm afraid! Put the lead back into the distributor cap as it decided to work loose, thankfully no traffic about. Then when I get home the drivers window motor decided to pack up. Thankfully no rain and had a spare in the garage.

jackherer

It sounds like you're getting there, there are bound to be some teething problems when you resurrect a car that has been off the road for so long but I'm sure it will settle down soon.

acox99

Got my new exhaust fitting and clearing without rattling. Had to fit a small resonator as it droned like mad. 

3045E6B9-DB38-4067-A610-398267F99DA5.jpeg

E6A30274-0C2D-4C34-A3DC-464E040C974D.jpeg

89DB5659-9408-436C-9F7E-67CF16156EEB.jpeg

acox99

Then cleaned it, took pictures for my insurance valuation and razzed it home. C40D4088-E086-482C-8D89-AB44BC4F4654.thumb.jpeg.183c3ccf8b7923bfadac431abcc6be06.jpeg

71E3833E-1E14-4528-B720-17CDC4C0F812.jpeg

65299BD5-ECD6-4AB3-A177-88F6A22702A7.jpeg

barneys66

Quick clutch adjust and once over at the workshop ready for the autosolo next weekend.  Jacking this thing up is so easy!

28362509108_aa1c2b1fef_k.jpg

Came home in the Golf though (MoT time), but not before grabbing this pic of the two together along with an S124 I accidentally bought..

28342104388_6d5ab8cf6e_k.jpg

Anthony
15 hours ago, barneys66 said:

Came home in the Golf though (MoT time), but not before grabbing this pic of the two together along with an S124 I accidentally bought..

Accidentally bought? :lol:

barneys66

It belonged to a friend in need and was cheap / I was weak / little bit drunk / had just made space in the unit, etc.  A terrible recipe for self-control.

Not sure whether to fix up or break for parts..

barneys66

Good day at the autosolo today - first in class and third overall.

Car was protesting though - dislodged the starter wire and unwound a gearbox bolt which jammed the gear change.  Thankfully both were between tests, and the bolt was retained, so no big deal.

Oh, and for those that remember the block is cracked and gummed up with Radweld, and still taking a fine punishing!

42489020002_9085ab9806_k.jpg

• Like 1

Anthony

Good work Barney, both for the win and for showing that wounded 8v no mercy :D

• Thanks 1

Gaz205

Changed my radiator, first for me so a bit chuffed! 

Easy to change it, hard to get the bonnet to close cleanly after for some reason.

Quirky old car I imagine!

barneys66

Got a free lift home yesterday, courtesy of a fractured plastic retainer on my clutch cable..

Thankfully only 3 miles from home, recovery there within the hour, and on a blat rather than on the way to the show I'd cleaned it in preparation for..

42791662962_139040d3a1_k.jpg

That was Saturday evening, so recovered to home and drove straight over to the workshop to collect the spare.

Fitted on the drive by 9am this morning, so able to make it onto the West Suffolk Motorsport Club stand at the annual Cars on the Green show..

42811931342_05db62f5e2_k.jpg

Tom Fenton

Genuine question, do you not know how to drive a car with no clutch? Put it in 1st crank on starter etc till you are rolling, then match refs to change up and down the box?

I’ve driven cars through city centres like this in the past, or 80+miles to get home. I certainly wouldn’t have waited an hour for a truck 3 miles from home!

Worth learning to do it. Maybe use something you don’t care about too much to start with! But it’s really not that hard. Once you’ve mastered it, it’s more the art of judging your distance and the traffic etc so that you don’t actually have to stop.

• Like 1

barneys66

Never tried it to be honest, Tom. 

Did contemplate keeping it rolling when I realised what had happened, but it's the town traffic round here that would have been the killer, and I was in a semi convenient place to pull over, it was a nice day, blah blah. 

Had it have been a real inconvenience I would have called in a mate for a tug (so to speak..) 

jackherer

Your 205 is still running its original BE1 box isn't it? I take it you managed to find the dowel/rod thing that falls out when the clutch cable goes?

barneys66

Correct, but I think the pedal spring helped retain it, as there it was in place when I came to a halt. 

Had a spare one of those too, just in case, and I'll get round to drilling and wire locking it one day.. 

• Like 1

NickR
On 5/17/2018 at 10:30 PM, acox99 said:

Then cleaned it, took pictures for my insurance valuation and razzed it home. C40D4088-E086-482C-8D89-AB44BC4F4654.thumb.jpeg.183c3ccf8b7923bfadac431abcc6be06.jpeg

71E3833E-1E14-4528-B720-17CDC4C0F812.jpeg

65299BD5-ECD6-4AB3-A177-88F6A22702A7.jpeg

Nice, but your spare wheel is upside down, you want to keep the face that touches the hub clean !

kenneth205xld

3 of my 205's passed the MOT test this morning with no advisory items listed.

acox99

I will bear that in mind Nick, but the car gets cleaned so regularly it never gets particularly dirty underneath Anyway