• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

Arthur
11 hours ago, 28hodge said:

@Arthur snap

Haha, same wow. You have old dash but new mirrors? 

Edited by Arthur

28hodge
5 hours ago, Arthur said:

Haha, same wow. You have old dash but new mirrors? 

Rally car sine 1988 so it will have a mis match of all sorts on it, car is a C reg 1985 so should be phase one but has the dials and not the sliders in the dash

Edited by 28hodge

Arthur
34 minutes ago, 28hodge said:

Rally car sine 1988 so it will have a mis match of all sorts on it, car is a C reg 1985 so should be phase one but has the dials and not the sliders in the dash

Mines 85-er also. Mine is also an 205, 307, C2 vts, 106, 306, kawasaki zx12,vems Frankenstein. I even have the steering wheel left, but somehow that is original. Dunno what happened there :P

Edited by Arthur
  • Haha 1

Dimi

Changed the out track rod and it turns out the slight clunk is still there. Ordered a inner tie-rod tool and when it arrives will let you know how it goes. I hope to be able to keep the rubber gaiter over the inner rod joint. It looks and feels good, I just have to slide it out carefully.

SweetBadger

Fitted a home made brace to stiffen up the bulk head.

Goes from the master cylinders to the strut brace.

have never been convinced with the conventional wisdom to weld a ‘stiffening’ plate in, as the plate is still welded to a flimsy bulkhead!

works well - doesn’t eliminate all flex as the brace still gives with a lot of pressure on the brakes, but it’s a huge improvement over nothing at all.

200A1A2D-0182-4369-ABF3-F503B46C5754.jpeg

3E41AC96-C5A2-4B98-9408-7C94D45116CA.jpeg

Type-R

Master cylinder brace is a great idea, nice one. Have you tried the brakes in anger yet?

SweetBadger
2 hours ago, Type-R said:

Master cylinder brace is a great idea, nice one. Have you tried the brakes in anger yet?

I live in London so to get anywhere where I can drive it in anger takes a while! But have just filled it up with fuel and found a spot where I could give the brakes a few heavy stops and it’s a big improvement, pedal feel much better:)

petert

I too added a brace a few years ago after the fire wall was trashed. I made a turnbuckle from rod ends and chromemoly tube.

9476FC73-658E-4CB3-8E1A-BBF5AC3A87E9.jpeg

Dimi

1.9 1993 gti. I tried looking everywhere also using search on this forum, and cannot figure out how to remove the plastic cover over the rear wiper motor. I can see some white clips in the corners and I do not want to pry further and break some unobtainium stuff.

My rear wiper motor is very noisy and I wanted to open all up and clean/grease the arms and all. See photo of the cover.

IMG_20210605_173707_1.jpg

Dimi

Created a new topic in the Steering section. Changed the inner and outer tie rod and the clunk is still there :-(

Edited by Dimi
Spelling

SweetBadger
10 hours ago, petert said:

I too added a brace a few years ago after the fire wall was trashed. I made a turnbuckle from rod ends and chromemoly tube.

9476FC73-658E-4CB3-8E1A-BBF5AC3A87E9.jpeg

Nice - looks like that brace will be lighter weight than my effort and adjustable too. I must learn how to weld!

petert

TIG is good.

Telf

Drove it in the spirit it was intended for. Ran 10 miles for fun then drove home giving all these modern bubble cars a shock as I zipped by

20210606_084641.jpg

• Like 1

Wallby

Took it to Donington Park! First time on track there for me and found it brilliant. There has been a lot of work gone into this car to get it where it is now, but the feeling after a few quick laps makes it all worthwhile!

PXL_20210622_182933093_compress78.thumb.jpg.89fe237070d960be798a6e7b88cf2060.jpg2021-06-23_09-44-23_compress85.thumb.jpg.76335f0a22c2cada938c852edbc4e447.jpg2021-06-23_09-44-14_compress6.thumb.jpg.197dddc2622a33f42cdcc3d2fb514430.jpg

• Like 2

SweetBadger

Took it racing again - Snetterton 200.

This time managed a 3rd in class, so some more silverware. Should have been at least 2nd in class, 1st was a distinct possibility, but a dodgy oil pressure sender / or connector (not sure which yet), made me kill the engine and drop a place before I realised that the engine was actually fine :angry:

Still not a bad day, and once again no spanners required. Drove it there (2.5 hrs from London), raced it, drove it home. :D Puts us 3rd in class B in the championship at the mo, and only 1 point behind 2nd.

• Like 2

AlexRS2782

Decided to get the alignment checked over further to clipping a reasonable sized crater whilst out for a drive the other day.  Thankfully everything was still pretty much spot on, with just a minor adjustment required to take out a feint drift to the left.

Not exactly local to me, but was recommended to travel down to Darren @ Wheel Alignment Solutions in Southampton and it was sorted pretty quickly.  Link below incase anyone was looking for a recommendation.

https://www.facebook.com/Wheel-Alignment-Solutions-104347145054980/

Robbiedundy

Finished upgrading the front suspension on the 205 van, gti subframe fitted with new shocks, top mounts, drop links and some old lowering springs I had spare, all it needs now is a 1.9 dturbo lump B)

IMG_20210718_183047_512.thumb.jpg.ef4b5158d8d5115defe8e54e0a5bbaab.jpg

• Like 2

Thijs_Rallye

Took the rattlebox out of hibernation today, put in a new battery, gave it a pressure wash to make it somewhat presentable for the dutch MOT. Since it has turned 30 years old this year, the MOT will remain valid for 2 years instead of 1. Still got to fix the horn, for some reason it stopped working.

wicked
29 minutes ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

Still got to fix the horn, for some reason it stopped working.

Check your fusebox; internal connection from fuse to plug... Had the same. 

Next trackday booked already? 

• Like 1

Thijs_Rallye
13 hours ago, wicked said:

Will do. Trackdays are postphoned for the next few years until I get my house and shed sorted.

SRDT
20 hours ago, wicked said:

If the rear defroster and cig lighter are also gone then it must be the fusebox, easy to fix but only once removed.

Thijs_Rallye
3 hours ago, SRDT said:

If the rear defroster and cig lighter are also gone then it must be the fusebox, easy to fix but only once removed. 

It was dodgy wiring. I wasn't getting power from the stalk to the relay, some wiggling of the loom "fixed" it. At least I got my 2 years of MOT sorted now :D .

DamirGTI

2 years of MOT :blink: ... blimey , for an car enthusiast like : a summer with the thousand July's (mind that myself personally , rather prefer winter time if even metaphorically speaking) 

... likely yet another great reason to immigrate to Netherlands from this deeply s*** packed up rabbit hole of the corrupt country (effectively colony rather than the country) .

D

Thijs_Rallye
15 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

2 years of MOT :blink: ... blimey , for an car enthusiast like : a summer with the thousand July's (mind that myself personally , rather prefer winter time if even metaphorically speaking) 

... likely yet another great reason to immigrate to Netherlands from this deeply s*** packed up rabbit hole of the corrupt country (effectively colony rather than the country) .

Damir, this 2 years of MOT is for vehicles 30 years and older. After 50 years of age they are completely exempt from MOT. In regards of corruption, don't think it is any better over here, it is just not openly corrupt (yet). Being taxed to hell and back is not much fun either :P (ie. my daily 2002 Polo TDi, costs me 315 euro each 3 months, and that is just the "road" tax).