• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

AlexRS2782

Got it back from Miles on Tuesday.  Incredible the difference a rebuilt rear beam (with new mounts, etc) & refreshed front suspension makes to the handling compared to the standard original bits that came off.  I know i'd not really driven the car properly for the best part of year thanks to CV and the failed alternator but the drive home was lovely :wub:

With all the other bits that have been done over the years since the car's been with me, the bodywork seems to be the only big thing left to sort on the car at some point now... and we all know how that can spiral out of control once you start adding more bits to the list :lol:

Edited by AlexRS2782

barneys66

Wrong thread, sorry..

Edited by barneys66

woodymi16

Fitted blingy start button and relay on my track car

BEE273DD-C98C-4288-92C4-6617B1A67376.thumb.jpeg.d486ba058a6a21b4f4fe5210113ad9b9.jpeg4F70507B-CA8F-4F4F-AEB0-BF741E9843CA.thumb.jpeg.583f682939bb7e033e3fce581ab283cc.jpeg

• Like 2

205Rallee

Refitted the  ignition switch/ steering lock after it was  adjusted by Leet205 so I’m back to everything working off one key. Fantastic job by Colin and super fast turn around.

SweetBadger

Corner weighted it on the cheap! :lol:

4 x 300kg scales.

after some fettling of the coilovers

n/s    o/s

286   295      Front

160   164      Back

That’s with just over 3/4 tank, so estimated dry weight 870kg

Couldn’t weigh it with me in the car unfortunately as the front scales maxed out.

779E6DD9-4406-4E4E-97DB-37A985BF20A1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

woodymi16
12 hours ago, SweetBadger said:

Corner weighted it on the cheap! :lol:

4 x 300kg scales.

after some fettling of the coilovers

n/s    o/s

286   295      Front

160   164      Back

That’s with just over 3/4 tank, so estimated dry weight 870kg

Couldn’t weigh it with me in the car unfortunately as the front scales maxed out.

779E6DD9-4406-4E4E-97DB-37A985BF20A1.jpeg

Where did the scales come from

SweetBadger

eBay, they were £25 a pop but have gone up since: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184562165620

were right on the limit for how much weight the platforms would take on the front wheels, so next time I think I’ll reinforce the tops with some plywood.

they’re pretty accurate, and the measurements were all repeatable. 

petert

Excellent work! What about buying two more? Two per front wheel, with a board on top?

Here's mine, with driver.

205 corner weights.jpg

SweetBadger
8 hours ago, petert said:

Excellent work! What about buying two more? Two per front wheel, with a board on top?

Here's mine, with driver.

205 corner weights.jpg

Nice 50% cross weight there!

Yes I could get another two and put the front wheels over 4 scales - did cross my mind.

The scales look like they have a sensor in each corner under the adjustable feet, so it would probably be easy enough to pull them apart and build 2 scales into one platform. If lockdown continues I may find myself doing this just for something to do! :rolleyes:

205Rallee

Swapped crap temporary copy BE1 gear knob, the perfect original exploded into four segments when parked in the sun, with a new original from L’aventure  Peugeot. Don’t bother with anything else as it was only £36 posted and arrived in a couple of days. Also changed the gear lever cover with a £10 leather one off e bay, perfect match to phase 1.5 grey with red stitching. Even the grain matched the original. 

Sent the steering ring lock off to Leet205 on here and he matched it up to all the other locks so back to one key for everything for the first time in probably 20 odd years. Super quick turnaround and a bargain compared with changing the lock set.

AlexRS2782

Finally got my backside in gear and put an order in with Pug Museum for some bits.  36 hours later the new windscreen, tailgate & tailgate glass seals arrived today.  Shame i left it too long and some bits i had on the watch list are now completely sold out and based on the reply i got they won't be back in production any time soon, so bear that in mind if anyone else is holding off ordering some parts.

Also ordered a new front number plate, from Plates For Cars, to replace my current one which has been delaminating at the edges for a while.  Should be nice to have a period correct plate back on the car with the right '90's font and, apart from the font for the dealer details, is a match for my original rear plate - plus it's the correct size to fit the bumper recess.

AlexRS2782

Tailgate seal fitted this afternoon - needed a few inches cut off as it appears they're supplied oversized.  Putting it next to the original seal from '91 shows just how much the original has compressed & shrunk over the years - even if it may not have been letting in much water i'd imagine it was probably allowing a fair amount of cold air to slip in.

Thankfully got it fitted just in time as it started pissing it down with rain 15 minutes after i shut the tailgate & locked up - should get an idea in a couple of days time as to whether that's cured another possible leak.

Hopefully be able to get the door window scraper seals fitted soon after i managed to track down a new / unshrunken set of those.

Callum
32 minutes ago, AlexRS2782 said:

Tailgate seal fitted this afternoon - needed a few inches cut off as it appears they're supplied oversized.  Putting it next to the original seal from '91 shows just how much the original has compressed & shrunk over the years - even if it may not have been letting in much water i'd imagine it was probably allowing a fair amount of cold air to slip in.

Thankfully got it fitted just in time as it started pissing it down with rain 15 minutes after i shut the tailgate & locked up - should get an idea in a couple of days time as to whether that's cured another possible leak.

Hopefully be able to get the door window scraper seals fitted soon after i managed to track down a new / unshrunken set of those.

I would look at getting the bakerbm replacement scraper mouldings when they are out they will be a lot cheaper 

AlexRS2782
On 2/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, Callum said:

I would look at getting the bakerbm replacement scraper mouldings when they are out they will be a lot cheaper 

TBH i did alright with the cost of the ones i obtained - found them listed on Gumtree as NOS to fit the front doors of a 5 door 205, but when i checked the part numbers on the packaging they were a match for the 3 door.  Managed to get them delivered for the same price of what was 1 single side from Pug Museum (when they were available).  Offered them up to the car the day i got them and there's no shrinkage so looks like i did well there.

Looks like the tailgate seal is doing a good job too - snow cleared enough today to have a good check and no more water in the boot, and the amount of condensation that used to form on the rear screen & windscreen is now well down on what it was.

• Like 1

Spesh
On 2/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, Callum said:

or buy 106 ones that fit perfect 

AlexRS2782

2 more weather seals ordered / delivered from Pug Museum (the ones that go on the body inside the front doors) after they came back into stock - good to have those as replacements if i do ever get the car painted,

Set of PS3's also ordered / delivered - once i get those fitted / balanced on the EXIP's that will be the decent weather wheels sorted and mean i can use the current Speedlines for the winter.

Edited by AlexRS2782

Reebmit

Carried on fitting the 3J plated Diff, Satchshift, lightweight flywheel, prepping for my modified machined -2.5 degree front uprights to arrive back from Allan.... all on the Track/road Mi..... :-)

Ozymandis

I fitted this lot to My Mrs, mint sunny day diesel.

And then ended up fitting a new breather pipe from the rocker cover, a new radiator, new thermostat , new heater "matrix", and making a stainless cross pipe from the radiator outlet to the block coolant inlet manifold. 3 of the thermostat housing M7`s snapped and the 4th unwound the threads out of the housing, which meant M7 helicoils. It was a busy day, I changed the engine and gearbox oils, all  filters and the glow plugs whilst I was there.

The radiator i used was a Turkish Kale brand one, it was copper cored with 2 vertical braces in front and at the back of the core, its the most original looking one i can find for an early car.

P1030833.JPG    

Edited by Ozymandis
Shiraz!

AlexRS2782

EXIP alloys & PS3's fitted on Tuesday - thanks to Fordingbridge Tyre & Battery for that :)  Make for a nice period mod and fit in with the dealer kit quite nicely.

Also booked it in for some paintwork in mid May to deal with the, quite badly faded, Miami Blue paintwork on the upper half of the driver & passenger doors and possibly get the lower rear bumper repainted too.

Spencer

Purchased a new battery and spark plugs, and started tracking down everything else on my punch list.

Steve205

Put petrol tank back on after sanding/schutz. Waiting on clutch cable... Still must source 3 wiper arm nit covers... Getting there though

IMG-20210413-WA0006.jpg

Telf

I've bought something a bit different

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1617536079915_6784438050135235001.jpeg

• Like 2

barneys66
Just now, Telf said:

I've bought something a bit different

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1617536079915_6784438050135235001.jpeg

Nice!  I see / hope you didn't sell the 205..?

Also, didn't you have a Triumph in too?