• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

bacardincoke

Being a sucker for period bits got a proper Peugoet sunroof deflector on eBay... Came less two of its three clips and the rubber seal, plus a bit scratched but had all it's bolts / plastic nuts, so not much effort with the polisher has it like new. Had a spare rubber from a Golf MK1 deflector and made some clips from aluminium. The pre-fitted holes in the sunroof tray made it all very straight forward and easily reversible, though I love them (and practical too).

Changed out the Momo to an Indianapolis Formel that I've had for years. Being an older three bolt one it's probably more of the early 1980's era than the (not too different) later versions, but I love it too and lets face it Italvolantis are just so much better than Momos!

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Formel.jpg

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Had the passenger door lock re-keyed to match all the rest... a one does all car again.

Done by Leet205 (Colin) from the forum - Excellent service, fast turn around and not hard to pay... highly recommended if you're looking it done yourself.

Wallby

Not what I've done, but what someone has done to me, a flatbed transit reversed into the back of my car yesterday and drove off! Luckily my neighbours CCTV has caught it all on camera, you can even see him get out and check for cameras on my house! 

I was planning on paying the company a visit today and see how they react. Any thoughts on how would be best to handle it and best way to repair?

IMG_20200714_194655_compress63.thumb.jpg.a7ed2271fe751e79ba4304970147d393.jpg

Tom Fenton

I would first go to a bodyshop you trust and get a quote to paint a tailgate and swap the glass over etc etc. Then visit said company with a copy of a quote and of the CCTV footage and suggest they need to sort it out before you get the police involved.

barneys66

That sucks!  Do you not want to get your insurers involved?

Wallby

Just got back from the company who's driver did it, they were very appolgetic and are going to sort it. They even came out with me there and then to a bodyshop close by (which are decent) to get a quote and booked in. Happy with that, although it may have been a different response if I didn't have the video.

I'd prefer to get it done without going through the insurance, as my premium would probably go up next year because of it.

• Like 1

Bogsye

Glad to hear that it went well. Still frustrating, but could have been worse. 

AlexRS2782
1 hour ago, Bogsye said:

Glad to hear that it went well. Still frustrating, but could have been worse. 

Echoed my thoughts tbh - ideally shouldn't have happened  but nice to see the company take responsibility for their driver & the damage caused without any arguement.  Rare to see nowadays.

barneys66
2 hours ago, Wallby said:

Just got back from the company who's driver did it, they were very appolgetic and are going to sort it. They even came out with me there and then to a bodyshop close by (which are decent) to get a quote and booked in. Happy with that, although it may have been a different response if I didn't have the video.

I'd prefer to get it done without going through the insurance, as my premium would probably go up next year because of it.

Glad to hear it.

Similar thing happened to my ex-wife's classic Mini years ago - it was only the proximity of a burger van that provided the merest hint of a witness (not forthcoming but gave the name of the courier company).  Knowing I couldn't prove anything but had to try, I subsequently rang them up and threatened them with leaving the scene of an accident and they admitted liability there and then.  I guess that might be why your third party was so forthcoming, plus they pay massive insurance premiums so probably wont make a jot of difference to them.

I'm always a bit nervy when I hear people not using their insurers, but if you know the bodyshop will do a top drawer / guaranteed job and you can trust the company will pay whatever bill they're presented with, then it's an acceptable risk.

Tom Fenton

Good outcome.

Philpooma

Turned my freshly rebuilt engine over on the starter, to prime the oil pump for its maiden “start up”.

Happy with the speed the oil pressure came up, just need to add some fuel in the tank now and see if she starts.

DBE32525-A828-4DAB-81A3-942140A1C170.jpeg

• Like 1

m@ttc
On 4/28/2020 at 10:04 PM, Bogsye said:

Dusted it off, mounted it up, and put it on it's side!

49831192976_66a41f991e.jpg

Starting the restoration (yet again)

Brian

Good luck

• Thanks 1

DSYKES5500

The DAS6 Pro polisher came out of hiding today, it came up OK! :)

20200719_192153.jpg

20200719_192229.jpg

20200719_192642.jpg

Mac Crash

Drained engine and gearbox oil, removed driveshafts ready for engine removal, think I will invest in buying my own engine crane instead of borrowing things all the time ;-)

Is this serviceable? (inner boot fell apart on removal) or better to buy replacements when the time comes.

1CJZqEW.jpg?1

LgIrkjG.jpg?1

Edited by Mac Crash

welshpug

if you haven't lost any rollers it'll be fine, mark where the tripod is so it goes on the same splines again then knock it off, slip a new boot on and reassemble.

Bogsye
20 minutes ago, Mac Crash said:

Drained engine and gearbox oil, removed driveshafts ready for engine removal, think I will invest in buying my own engine crane instead of borrowing things all the time ;-)

Is this serviceable? (inner boot fell apart on removal) or better to buy replacements when the time comes.

1CJZqEW.jpg?1

LgIrkjG.jpg?1

I'm no expert on c-v joints, but I agree with you on the engine crane - I hired one to take the 205's engine out. That was fine until I took it back to the hire place and the wind caught my car door and made a small dent on the car parked beside me. With honesty being the correct policy, by the time I sorted that out I'd have been better off buying a second hand one.. These days my mate keeps his in my garage as he's short of space, so that's improved matters. Sorted for the 205 engine going back in one day, and used it for the Cerb' recently. Win, win!!

Wallypug205

This week I will be mostly looking at it and wondering when will you come to life

bacardincoke

Put a non-1.9 bulk head relay box in, in readiness for the gubbins that go with hardwiring a dash cam.

The dim-dip relay's already long gone with the rest of the set-up and the remaining horn relay fits perfectly in it's original position with the new bracket obviosly designed to go around it.

relay boxA.jpg

relay boxB.jpg

• Haha 1

DSYKES5500

I've been using AutoGlym bumper snot today. Good stuff and smells alright too :)20200724_164041.thumb.jpg.7198b0678f15d8d26819c10c53c67fad.jpg

20200724_161452.jpg

AlexRS2782

Collected my EXIP's & centre caps after refurbishment / powdercoating.  Considering the age of them & wear they've come up exceptionally well tbh.  Couple of photos below.

Not the best weather today to show them off, but they're essentially a dark satin grey, and due to the nature of the finish in some lights / angles they look quite dark, in others much lighter, and in others have a feint purplish flip / hue which is difficult to photograph.  Held one up to the car earlier on and it seems to go nicely with the arch mouldings (so long as they're treated not faded) and as a result the centres of the wheels still have their definition from a distance - which would have been lost if they were a darker gloss or solid black.

Can't wait to get them on the car in a couple of weeks :) 

2026115459_2020-07-2716_02_50.thumb.jpg.4867ba6cf901548b35c81c911a32450c.jpg

381556730_2020-07-2716_03_00.thumb.jpg.af5390c04afceed5b1eacb5cdabaf291.jpg

907057825_2020-07-2716_03_31.thumb.jpg.29d0bea2b34db40a63b098f3c0c74dc8.jpg

303558759_2020-07-2716_03_48.thumb.jpg.93ae7ac5e5a4b7b7140b8a8382c0508c.jpg

• Like 1

Ozymandis

Took 2 broken studs out of some  torsion bars, cleaned up the welded splines , and then noticed the words "BASE" carefully written on them by Tom.

Whoops they are diesel ones. I should pay more attention in future.

P1030583.JPG

Wallypug205

Made a video of it started and sent it off for welding and a paint job lol

Wallypug205
On 7/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, bacardincoke said:

Put a non-1.9 bulk head relay box in, in readiness for the gubbins that go with hardwiring a dash cam.

The dim-dip relay's already long gone with the rest of the set-up and the remaining horn relay fits perfectly in it's original position with the new bracket obviosly designed to go around it.

relay boxA.jpg

relay boxB.jpg

Wow how did you get your wiring to look so good? 

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Sorry, just seeing this... Nothing exciting, just cloth tape and split corrugated tubing. You can get that in all sorts of diameters to suit

bacardincoke

Fitted one of Alex's updated coin trays (original lid) with the black flock... looks factory and works perfectly.

newtray.jpg

newtray1.jpg

• Like 3