• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

barneys66

Autosolo finished after only 6 of 20 runs thanks to clutch release bearing.

Pushed offsite and recovered home..

48282065737_fd5fa440ee_k.jpg

jackherer

That's bad luck. Were there any warning signs beforehand or did it just fail suddenly? Weren't you talking about fitting a clutch a while ago?

barneys66
8 hours ago, jackherer said:

That's bad luck. Were there any warning signs beforehand or did it just fail suddenly? Weren't you talking about fitting a clutch a while ago?

Not much - walked away from it whilst running and heard a feint, unusual noise which I couldn't locate, did another test and it shifted fine. Drove round to the next test and the noise was considerably worse so I retired. 

Drove back to the paddock, loaded up and headed for the main gate, having trouble shifting, and within half a mile it locked up and stalled. 

I think the clutch was getting low so was planning on doing that over winter, plus considering a lightened flywheel.. 

Any recommendations..? 

Tom Fenton

Locked up and stalled sounds bad. I’ve had plenty of knackered clutch release bearings in my time but all that happens is they get horrendously noisy until the clutch won’t release. Still can drive the car just shifting carefully without the clutch. Better get the box off and see what’s what.

jackherer

Yeah that's not good. Gearbox coming loose maybe? I just pm'd you.

barneys66
On 7/15/2019 at 8:13 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Locked up and stalled sounds bad. I’ve had plenty of knackered clutch release bearings in my time but all that happens is they get horrendously noisy until the clutch won’t release. Still can drive the car just shifting carefully without the clutch. Better get the box off and see what’s what.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, jackherer said:

Yeah that's not good. Gearbox coming loose maybe? I just pm'd you.

Thanks both - it may be my terminology; I was slowing for a speed hump, dipped the clutch, and it didn't disengage so stalled the engine.  It then wouldn't turnover so I assumed it had jammed.  Locking up may have sounded a bit dramatic..!  It could be pushed soon after though, and it did start up for the PAS to manoeuvre onto the loader, so who knows.  The recovery guy says the bearings can break up and get jammed in the fingers of the clutch, preventing it from disengaging...??

I lost a bellhousing bolt some time ago, one of the top ones, and did check for separation but everything looked okay - I'll check again when I get it over to the workshop.  Stupidly had the car recovered home, but then I had no space at the workshop, so that's the first hurdle..

ScoobyJawa
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, barneys66 said:

Bugger!  Literally just ordered one of those, for a leisure battery admittedly.

Would be keen to know if it's at fault - can you test the output..?

CTEK fine.  Bosch S4 battery - garbage :)

• Thanks 1

Telf
On 7/15/2019 at 6:30 AM, barneys66 said:

think the clutch was getting low so was planning on doing that over winter, plus considering a lightened flywheel

Barney I have a hardly used clutch and standard flywheel sat in my lockup if you want it. I took it off the car during the build. It's done maybe 2000miles

• Thanks 1

barneys66
16 hours ago, Telf said:

Barney I have a hardly used clutch and standard flywheel sat in my lockup if you want it. I took it off the car during the build. It's done maybe 2000miles

Hey Paul - sent you a pm.

AlexRS2782

Received the universal centre caps i'd ordered from eBay in the hope they'd do the job on my EXIP alloys.  Gave up on the 3D printing option as the amount of investment that would have been required in scanning / printing isn't justifiable considering it's for an alloy wheel centre cap.

Turns out the eBay jobbies are pretty decent.  They're the right sort of dimensions as the EXIP ones, fit pretty well / tightly into the centre bore & when painted should do the job ok.

Link to the ones i used - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-wheel-center-caps-universal-rim-plastic-4x-centre-hub-cap-54-49-5-no-logo/292390547724

Pic of one fitted:

1.jpg

Time to start looking into getting the wheels refurbed now.  Already decided against going the diamond cut route so will probably go for either silver (in a similar colour to the standard o.e wheels) or maybe an anthracite that's a bit darker but still gives enough definition / visibility of the centre spokes.

I did spray paint one wheel with a Miami Blue centre just to see what it looked like - not sure i can go that far down the retro modding route as it was rather noticeable :lol:

karabas

I hope blower will work again with this brand new controller..!!

Bought from eBay.

IMG_9952.JPG

chris 417 mi

Bought another one :D Laser Green gti-6 k reg ! means now i have a white base model shell to get rid of though :rolleyes:

DSYKES5500

Today's little job was: Removed the front screen wash reservoir, cleaned out the new ecosystem that was inside it and cleaned it up the best I could on the outside. I used Bilt Hamber Surfex HD APC which really seemed to eat at the grime.

20190817_195743.jpg

20190817_201418.jpg

Doc 205

On a negative note, sent my Diesel off to the big carpark in the sky, following a horrendous MOT fail...

1739B521-B1CC-44DE-90F7-52D96B55BEF1.jpeg

Doc 205

On a positive note, showed my Gti at a small show north of Edinburgh...

6855671D-FD54-431D-BE86-38E349821F7B.jpeg

91D9F390-9174-4076-B9A8-EE4786366321.jpeg

Edited by Doc 205

karabas

This is first shower after 2 months of in-car work. Parking lights, wiper motor, boot lock and some more left on the list.

IMG_9985 copy.jpg

IMG_9982 copy.jpg

Doc 205

Figured out why my hazards weren’t working. Need to get a crimping tool and a spade connector now. Anyone know the correct spade connector size for the hazard switch?

938B2E11-9B5C-48B8-B326-20484DE7C5D9.jpeg

steve@cornwall

Finishing off it's latest face lift after a couple years of neglect/abuse. 

IMG_20190626_143218.jpg

IMG_20190905_190802.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

chris 417 mi

Finally got to use this fabled wurth trim dye everyone's been on about, and yes it does make a difference !

Just wish id have had more time to do a proper job and take the trims / bumpers off to give them a good coating ( job for next year ).

Pleased with the results :)

back 1.jpg

bumper 1.jpg

church 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MrStock

Looks good!

• Like 1

AlexRS2782

Ordered a new heater matrix on Monday night from MisterAuto - delivered today.  So that's shipped from France & delivered to me in 2 days - yet some UK retailers were quoting at least 1 week delivery times and that was evidently from UK stock & for the same product - madness.  Hey ho.

Next step is checking the ignition wiring loom condition / connector into the barrel and see if it could be with being changed if it might be a contributory matter towards my occasional non start issue (as other wiring related things have been sorted).  As far as i can tell from the info online it seems the O.E connector has a "Y" fitment whereas all the new ones sold online by Neat, etc, all have the "X" designed for aftermarket barrels.  So i guess it might be a case of sourcing a decent original loom / connector or based on prices just bite the bullet with a brand new decent brand aftermarket barrel & ignition keys.  Although obviously i'd prefer to keep everything on 1 set of keys.

Telf

I swore at mine alot and threatened it with a new owner.

• Haha 1

205Rallee

Managed to finally gather the courage to remove the dashboard cowl and replaced the instrument and heater control knob bulbs. They died about ten years ago but I lived with the problem rather than risk breaking the plastic. Luckily it all came apart and went back together again very easily. I think 30 years of being kept in a dark garage has stopped the plastics fading/getting brittle. It’s very rare that anything goes to plan on these old cars so the next job will no doubt turn into a nightmare...

• Thanks 1

steve@cornwall

Just stared at the empty space where it has lived for nearly 17 years.

Yesterday it left for a new home. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1