• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

AlexRS2782
11 hours ago, chris 417 mi said:

Opened the garage door, Looked at it, cried at how much needs to be done in the coming months and shut the garage door again :D

I know that feeling well - done it many times over the last few years with my Mk1 Focus RS. 

• Haha 1

Tom Fenton

Fitted an underseat sub to my laser 205, I removed the standard head unit last year as I was fed up of tinny music and cassettes! However a modern head unit has simply shown up the oe speaker size/positions. Pleased with this bit of kit, it fits lovely right underneath the passengers seat, still leaving room in the rear footwell for a passenger to put their feet.

Also went to a local car show at the weekend, managed to get both a child seat and the pushchair in it so it’s the first time my little girl has been out for the day in the 205.

5D1D279D-9330-4EE6-BDA7-C9B7157F1B94.jpeg

18136F10-3B52-4428-86AA-C2ACA0A2F3B0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

chris 417 mi
15 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Fitted an underseat sub to my laser 205, I removed the standard head unit last year as I was fed up of tinny music and cassettes! However a modern head unit has simply shown up the oe speaker size/positions. Pleased with this bit of kit, it fits lovely right underneath the passengers seat, still leaving room in the rear footwell for a passenger to put their feet.

Also went to a local car show at the weekend, managed to get both a child seat and the pushchair in it so it’s the first time my little girl has been out for the day in the 205.

5D1D279D-9330-4EE6-BDA7-C9B7157F1B94.jpeg

18136F10-3B52-4428-86AA-C2ACA0A2F3B0.jpeg

Hopefully be doing this with my project next year, keep the updates going mate your build thread is a good read. 

speno

Fitted my tiger alarm 

20190610_160634.jpg

mmt

Yesterday my “new” GTI6 was started for the first time. I bought it on a pallet totally and completely disassembled. Started at the First turn of the key. Sounds really good. Flauless - not a drop of oil, coolant or petrol where it should not be. Due to go to the rollers in a couple of three weeks time. 

A7CAD575-A943-4F60-869E-4A4E95E706BC.jpeg

mmt

F0C64D64-2DE0-40CA-8CC6-1A06D415F764.jpeg

karabas

Water pipe housing outlet and attached lines are replaced.

IMG_9736.JPG

AlexRS2782

Took delivery of the following over the past week or so:

- New fuel pump retaining ring from Tom Fenton as the fuel pump will probably be being sorted later this year.

- New speakers for the front & rear - nothing fancy just a set of Kenwood shallow fit speakers that will slot into the o.e locations.  KFC-E1365's for the front & KFC-E1355's for the rear.

- New head unit - £30 for a Kenwood KDC-BT500U headunit that was brand new but ex display.

- A pack of trim clips so that i can remove / refit the interior plastic tailgate trim panel - it's been rattling around the last couple of years as i think most of the original clips have broken.

Also had a better look at the wiring for the o.e stereo wiring and have realised some the wiring for the rear speakers isn't in the best condition and will probably need replacing too.

Discovered that the cost of replicating the centre caps for my EXIP wheels via 3D printing isn't necessarily going to be cheap.  Printing a batch run of caps themselves doesn't price up too badly, but it's the cost of getting the cap properly scanned, then prepared / tidied for printing, etc, is where the £££ lies.

SootySport

Looked at the pug today, thought I need to do some work on it then went down the pub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AlexRS2782

Managed to track down a set of old stereo removal keys I had lying around from an old car so decided to pull the old Kenwood tape head unit that's been fitted since I bought the car.

Not surprising it wasn't working at all at times / working on & off as it had an amount of corrosion around the rear of the unit where it looks like water / moisture has been getting in contact.  Another leak to check for or possibly heater matrix i guess as there was also traces of moisture around the wiring harness.

Plus the o.e plastic connector plug that links the factory loom to the Kenwood head unit had certainly seen better days.  It was so loose they'd been cable tied together in an effort to stop them parting ways - which clearly hadn't worked.

At least with some rain due today I should be able to see if there is water ingress around the windscreen seal / scuttle panel

jackherer

It'll be the heater matrix for sure, it's like they were designed to take the stereo out with them when they go.

MrStock
On 6/14/2019 at 11:55 AM, mmt said:

F0C64D64-2DE0-40CA-8CC6-1A06D415F764.jpeg

That looks awesome!

AlexRS2782
4 hours ago, jackherer said:

It'll be the heater matrix for sure, it's like they were designed to take the stereo out with them when they go.

Yep.  Went back out to the car a couple of hours ago after some rain and found a tiny droplet sitting on the aerial lead in the void behind where the head unit used to be.  Wiped it off the cable and confirmed it was coolant rather than rain / water ingress.  Can't be leaking much so probably just the odd drip from a small pin hole or split somewhere but i'm fairly sure my car's still on the original matrix & pipework so that's probably not bad going.  I knew it would end up needing to be replaced at some point as it's one of the few bits over the last 10 odd years i've not touched / replaced.

jackherer

It's not a bad job as long as you ignore the haynes manual!

Porter87

I drove it to work! :D

769607BE-914C-4DC8-9D0A-A8C3DB46223C.thumb.jpeg.a85d54122a8041a8409e2cbad64be1e2.jpeg

• Like 2

mmt
On 6/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, MrStock said:

That looks awesome!

Thanks. It is awesome:-) a lot of hours spent during the winter. 

Doc 205

Lowered the idle speed on the carbs and took it for an hour and a half drive. By far the longest drive I’ve done so far, and on a warm day. Didn’t overheat, or break down, so I’m pretty happy. Received the usual thumbs up on the motorway and obligatory guy at the petrol station asking if it’s a 1.6 or 1.9 and letting me know how he used to have one and regrets selling it. 

0F257693-DCE9-4FD3-BC01-EF38C70AC940.jpeg

mmt

Sounds awesome. 

• Like 1

Doc 205
1 hour ago, mmt said:

Sounds awesome. 

:D cheers. 

steve@cornwall

Pushed it backwards down the country lane to a place it wasnt blocking the road when it suddenly died without warning. Catastrophic ignition amp failure. Luckily I carry a spare.

Use it every day and the old bus always gets me home.

AlexRS2782

Took it for a decent long run on Monday and it ran perfectly - hasn't done that in a while.  Went to do the same today and at first it was very hesitant to start.  Eventually it started so decided to have a nose under the bonnet, having a look for any issues, loose wiring, leads, etc, and accidently rubbed against the main HT lead that's central on the dizzy.  As a result i got a very nice electric shock which woke me up :wacko:

Think i'll be investing in a new set of leads as the last time i had that issue & got a nice shock was on my R5GTT back in '99 when one of the leads had got some damage and was arcing out.

Tom Fenton

A very quick clean and then packed up ready for the Peugeot Festival

2E047617-DFB2-4558-882D-5D1E2A27716A.jpeg

• Like 1

chris 417 mi
2 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

A very quick clean and then packed up ready for the Peugeot Festival

2E047617-DFB2-4558-882D-5D1E2A27716A.jpeg

Hoping to see this in the flesh :) 

Telf

went for a drive - stopped. woudnt start. faffed around for ages as it just wouldn't crank. thought sod this Ill call the AA and get it towed.

Sat for an hour. AA tip up - checks the starter solenoid signal - yep 12v when I turn the key . tries to start it again and it bloody goes. F**king car!

I had the solenoid wire off and refitted- burnt my hand to hell and it wouldn't go- he comes along and voila!  No idea I assume ive got a poor crimp on the terminal tag.

Got home and it starts fine

I thought all this BS was behind me