• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

205Rallee

Took my Rallye out this afternoon for a New Year's Day run to Keswick in the Lake District. No other old cars out, but we enjoyed loads of revs, some pops and bangs and squeaky brake pads. First time it's been out in the winter since 1996, but nice and dry so easy to clean off the salt when we got home.

IMG_1007.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mark5

Sunroof handle glass sunroof fitted .rear wiper and tailgate trim panel installed. Slowly puting all trim back on after had roof and door and quarter panels and tail gate resprayed back in june last year. 1.9 gti 205. Charcoal gray.

woodymi16

Removed the rad to get it leak tested 

1A037121-E601-4117-BC79-A51AAD7E0A39.thumb.jpeg.27252934fa4db3ccd8468e8180271291.jpeg82224B42-6C7C-46C5-8B3E-7AC1DECB4215.thumb.jpeg.dd4aa9ddc0a30c344529e9f0f967c40c.jpeg

Philpooma
3 hours ago, woodymi16 said:

Removed the rad to get it leak tested 

1A037121-E601-4117-BC79-A51AAD7E0A39.thumb.jpeg.27252934fa4db3ccd8468e8180271291.jpeg82224B42-6C7C-46C5-8B3E-7AC1DECB4215.thumb.jpeg.dd4aa9ddc0a30c344529e9f0f967c40c.jpeg

Thats a clean looking engine bay Graham, very nice

• Haha 1

Philpooma

Removed the rear axle to do some freshening up of the chassis

1156169E-CB19-4A12-B8C2-72F7BAD8485C.jpeg

Richie-Van-GTi

Dropped mine off at the welders for the first stage of the bodywork, won't see it for about 4 weeks now

Philpooma

Harvested another boot floor from a donor car my friend was scrapping.

Removing a boot floor in one piece is a nightmare......

F6C9D506-8AFD-480C-9953-83910D0AFE46.jpeg

• Haha 1

SweetBadger

Fitted a replacement nissens radiator (after putting a hole in the original fitting a gearbox).

Word of warning - they come with two threaded holes for a fan thermo-switch. One in the usual 205 location next to the top hose, one bottom left of the rad next to the bottom hose...

Not realising this, I wound the plastic blanking bung out of the top thermo-switch location, wound in the 205 thermo-switch in it's place leaving the bottom hole open (rad only comes with one threaded bung, which you're supposed to move to blank the unused hole).

Proceeded to pour in fresh coolant, and watched it pour straight out of the bottom of the new rad, all over the floor! :angry:

• Sad 1

Callum

Removed and refitted dash to trace a water leak, also stuck felt in inside edge of dash and shroud for extra sound proofing and used single sided foam 1mm tape on mating surfaces 

20190119_085416.jpg

woodymi16

Cleaned and oiled my air filter and refitted my rad after having a new core fitted

5C33949A-898F-43B9-B907-EFDEE9AE2880.thumb.jpeg.c3457aa55a7136c3fb643b154acad543.jpeg33606AEC-64FD-42AE-9B2E-310A9A09BBAE.thumb.jpeg.2a7a23d633b5fbbfe560df4c847fdcc7.jpegE9726461-5AE9-49A8-916B-5339A7505FCD.thumb.jpeg.44d8ba16852e849c213b2d3529c0929c.jpeg

Doc 205

Picked up my 205 from having it's new Jenvey intake manifold fitted. Carbs are now sitting flatter. Tonight's late night tinkering session will involve changing the air filter for small single-trumpet efforts, and then seeing if my auto bonnet fits on without hitting the throttle linkage. Fingers and toes crossed! It's going to be tight.

Doc 205
10 hours ago, Doc 205 said:

Picked up my 205 from having it's new Jenvey intake manifold fitted. Carbs are now sitting flatter. Tonight's late night tinkering session will involve changing the air filter for small single-trumpet efforts, and then seeing if my auto bonnet fits on without hitting the throttle linkage. Fingers and toes crossed! It's going to be tight.

Air filters and auto bonnet fitted successfully (including new bonnet catch, which was a bit of a pain). Happy boy! No more nasty bonnet bulge and racing pins. 

• Like 1

AlexRS2782

Took my base model non opening rear windows to be tinted to get a close match to the standard fronts - hopefully chose the right shade as I had to do it on guesswork as the car still isn't running yet - went for a "Twilight" tint which should be quite close - didn't want to go too dark and end up looking '90's Max Power.

Got home from collecting the windows above and discovered a swimming pool behind the rear passenger seat.

Looks like the recent cold snap has finally finished off the sunroof frame seals & the opening rear window seals.  Judging by the squelching there's water under the carpet / sound proof material too so clearly getting in nicely.

Time to get an idea of costs on getting that sorted (as well as sort the non running car).

Callum
39 minutes ago, AlexRS2782 said:

Took my base model non opening rear windows to be tinted to get a close match to the standard fronts - hopefully chose the right shade as I had to do it on guesswork as the car still isn't running yet - went for a "Twilight" tint which should be quite close - didn't want to go too dark and end up looking '90's Max Power.

Got home from collecting the windows above and discovered a swimming pool behind the rear passenger seat.

Looks like the recent cold snap has finally finished off the sunroof frame seals & the opening rear window seals.  Judging by the squelching there's water under the carpet / sound proof material too so clearly getting in nicely.

Time to get an idea of costs on getting that sorted (as well as sort the non running car).

I have water ingress to so I've removed my carpet, the sound proofing was ruined so I binned that but newton commercials sell new stuff also my headlining is out as the rear sunroof drains need replacing. I sent a screenshot of some foam tape to th thread you quoted me o you'll also need new m4 fibre washers to go under the shouldered bolts 

Edited by Callum

Doc 205
17 hours ago, AlexRS2782 said:

I have the same issue with my sunroof.

I figure my three options are:

1. Don't drive it in the rain (near impossible in the west of Scotland)

2. Silicon seal the sunroof with clear sealant (I appreciate that this will be anathema to the purest. While not a purest, it doesn't sit well with me either)

3. Fit a new rubber seal (I'm guessing this will be a fairly involved process, so need to look into a bit more carefully. Will probably end up going this route)

Tom Fenton

Rebushed a spare AMC Mi16 throttle body I had. It went so well I took the Weber one off my rally car and did that too. Good as new now, all the slop gone out of the spindles.

130A2E58-24CF-491E-9FDB-9BA5C93D9C68.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Callum
On 2/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, Doc 205 said:

I have the same issue with my sunroof.

I figure my three options are:

1. Don't drive it in the rain (near impossible in the west of Scotland)

2. Silicon seal the sunroof with clear sealant (I appreciate that this will be anathema to the purest. While not a purest, it doesn't sit well with me either)

3. Fit a new rubber seal (I'm guessing this will be a fairly involved process, so need to look into a bit more carefully. Will probably end up going this route)

Where is it leaking?

Doc 205
12 minutes ago, Callum said:

Where is it leaking?

Not actually sure. It’s the tilt kind, not the sliding one. It had been in a garage getting some work done and they’d left it outside for about 3 weeks, and when I picked it up the rear foot wells were full of water. 

Has been garaged since, so no more water has got in. I’ve got various (more fun) jobs to do on the car, and will try to get to the leak at some point down the line, followed by sorting a couple of electrical gremlins. 

Rock Lobster

Finally found the reason for it running stupidly rich. Removed the vac hose from the fuel pressure regulator to find it pumping out petrol.

No wonder it was going through so much fuel, it was horsing into the inlet manifold!

jackherer

It's lucky you caught that before it hydro-locked a cylinder!

acox99

Starting cleaning and opening up the the throats on a spare cylinder head and improving the radius on the short side today. Looking to improve the pick up and torque by giving it a bit more compression & 3 angle seats. I’ve already modified the backs of the inlet valves and slimmed the stems down slightly. I will be very happy if I can get near to 1.9 power out of a 1.6. 

2E733DEC-FD59-410C-8FC3-23632A35C0BB.jpeg

E332D899-D268-4CBD-8C68-D7E3A55C5316.jpeg

Doc 205

Removed driver’s side bucket seat. Fitted seatbelt. Period driver’s seat to follow. C’est Bon!

Richie-Van-GTi

Drilled and tapped all the snapped studa on the shell, drilled the sunroof off and fit rivnuts ready for refitting, finished stripping the last of the small bits ready for the body shop on Monday

• Haha 1