• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

AlexRS2782

Took delivery of the third Magnex manifold I've owned since I bought my GTI back in '08.

Sold the first one in '09 on the basis of "i'm not modifying the car".  Bought the second in 2011, after realising i'd now modified the car more than I originally planned, but then sold it in 2014 to someone on here who was desperate for one for their build, and now I've bought a third one to go with the new exhaust that's being done in the coming weeks.

Not a bad find for the what it cost, as it's in pretty decent condition and can't have been used on a car that long as the springs look brand new.  At least it solves the problem of replacing the original d/p on mine that was modified to fit the OMP exhaust system.

woodymi16

Replaced my old fuel pump with a Walpro

5AAA5253-F520-423A-9EBB-1B2E3443111A.JPG.1b6abb95ee169c0fcc62102766b196a9.JPG

MrStock

How did you get that ring so clean? Or is it a new one?

woodymi16
On 06/04/2018 at 10:34 AM, MrStock said:

How did you get that ring so clean? Or is it a new one?

Yep new one from Tom

barneys66

Got the second in class pot at the first round of the 2018 autosolo challenge today.

Horrible, wet day, and a couple of driver errors meant not the best result, but still lots of fun!

27449181258_a3446ba42e_k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AlexRS2782

Started prepping the car ready for collection on Thursday and moving it down to Miles.  Shame it cant drive down of its own volition, but considering this is the first time in 9 & 1/2 years of ownership that it's had to go somewhere on the back of a flatbed i'd say that's pretty good going tbh.

Also surprised myself by finding a brand new oil pump & chain for my 205 GTI that i'd forgotten i'd bought, back in the first year of ownership, and stored away in the loft.  For some reason they were mixed in with some bits for my Focus RS - not sure why.

barneys66

Picked up three sets of barely-used Michelin PS3s for the princely sum of £180 - should see me through this year :D.

40562367865_e79969fc53_k.jpg

MattCPR

Past couple of days to be precise.

Wiring, lots of wiring. 

Things that wouldn’t work but now work:

Rear fog

Reverse light

Nesrside side light

Both front driving lights 

Rear wiper motor

Front wipers painfully slow, not wiring but seized spindles. Now fixed.

Painted scuttle trim and wiper arms and put it all back together with new wiper blades. 

Had interior wet vac’d and cleaned. Looks lovely. 

A9CD2D7B-0353-45E2-A96C-ED0EE5E79DFD.jpeg

F35857D2-ADEA-40C3-AB42-9228DDD351F8.jpeg

mechanicalrepairs

Sold one of my projects on eBay, was pretty chuffed with how it all went, these cars have some great followers.

wont be selling the other anytime soon.

carl 

Anthony

With spring finally having sprung, I dragged one of the 205 from it's prolonged winter slumber, re-insured it (a whisker over £100 FC - bargain) and then sailed through it's MOT with no advisories.  Rewarded it with a service and replacing the suspected under-reading oil pressure sender - it's now gained about 2 bar across the board and now subjectively looks to read about what I'd expect.

DSC_0578.jpg

Looking at the MOT certificate, I only did 2500 miles in it last year which is bordering on criminal - it's no investment-grade concours example so deserves to be used and enjoyed whenever the opportunity arises.  The pleasure in these cars is driving them after all.

It was also interesting driving it back to back with my Xsara VTS, which has taken the 205's place in the storage shed of much shonky French tat while I decide what to do with it.  It's certainly no quicker and the pops and spluttering of Jetronic remind you how much engine management has improved in the intervening years, but the 205 feels so light and nimble by comparison, so eager and so immediate.  The glorious sunshine pouring in the open sunroof does wonders to beat the last of the winter blues too :)

• Like 2

AlexRS2782

Popped down to Torque Technique to pay for the new exhaust system & take the old OMP system away.

Looks very nice and with a simple 2" straight cut tailpipe positioned centrally in the lower cut out of my dealer fit rear valance.  Looks much more O.E as the old OMP system was designed around the standard rear valance so sat too high in the lower bumper.  Should be much quieter too being a 2 box system rather than the 1 box & straight through centre of the old OMP setup - no more earplugs for Miles every year come MOT time :lol:

Turned out to be a bit more expensive than planned in the end, once the labour's accounted for, but unfortunately the Magnex manifold i'd picked up revealed an internal crack / blow in the collector, where the 4 branches meet, when the car was fired up and needed fixing.  TT have done a great job of cutting that all out, replaced it with a brand new section and put it all back together, so at least it's now future proofed.

Hopefully the car should be moving onto Miles early next week to get the rest of the cars issues sorted :)

Only bad part of the day was some of the crappy traffic around Salisbury / Stonehenge, etc.  What is it about decent weather that brings out the worst driving standards in some people?  Judging by the state of some of the cars parked up at the side of the road, most of the accidents appeared to have been completely avoidable had people paid more attention rather than dinging into the back / side of other cars in queueing / slow moving traffic.  The best one was on the Salisbury bound side of the A36 where a builders truck tried to get out of lane 1 from behind an HGV and drove into the side of a BMW 1 series, but then kept edging the car until he'd wedged it into the barrier in the central reservation - WTF - probably also not the best thing to do when there was a fully marked Police car just 3 cars further back in the queue - they didn't look particularly impressed either.

Simes

Fitted some poncy Magnecor leads, cleaned up the main earths.

about  to go outside and apply  another coat of gtechnik g4 on the front bumper.

lots more to do.......600 miles last year!

Krash67

Halfway through tidying up the interior.

IMG_0827.JPG

• Like 1

Fallowsnz

Just took my gti off the road for winter luckily i've just got the xs on the road, saved it from the scrap heap late last year. they're very rare here in New Zealand.

DSCF2691.thumb.JPG.4aadb85d49ddb9c852880162e8f599ad.JPG

Thijs_Rallye

Dropped the tank to reconnect the breather hose and welded a new flange to the centre exhaust pipe. 

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

Simes

Gtechnik'd all the bumper trim.

welshpug

not mine, but I repaired the side repeater wiring on both sides of a 205, chewed up by mice!

20180421_173805.jpg

Thijs_Rallye

Made me some detcans.

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

woodymi16

Fitted a new offside indicator bulb, a new earth on the front washer pump and in return got a fresh MOT.

jackherer
3 hours ago, Bakes100 said:

First wash and trip out since I resprayed it!

26930609167_0c594b70fd_b.jpg20180429_115056 Mod by Stuart Baker, on Flickr

Very nice!

My 205 was in exactly the same place as yours in that photo just last week, I missed the turning for Jayar and had to turn round.

woodymi16

Suspension set up today

536CB39C-B5B9-4936-AAC0-A5BC1F82B5B9.JPG.f995b74c7f40b241d3637d5a5d3541b5.JPG

acox99

Drove it for the first time this year and decided within 30 seconds that the new exhaust I made up needs a resonator as it drones like mad between 3.5-4.5k and it’s doing my head in already. 

205turbo

added a couple of gauges to my 1.9 Td van, 

one is for boost temp and the other water temp

gauge2.jpg

gauge1.jpg