• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Fitting A 205 With A Citroen Xm Turbo Engine

Steve

Ok where to begin.... I'm very lucky to own a classic 205, to which I've fitted mi16 2.1 cams 45's and a megajolt. To me its

well rapid, but alas 12 to the gallon and emission problems every mot.

At Easter this year we decided to do a "top gear" 500 pound challenge to the nurburgring, we bought a 185 celica and they bought a rover 200 brm. Anyway it was fantastic fun so much that we're returning next Easter ...phew

This time i'm hoping to take the 205 fitted with a xm turbo. the aim of my project is for reliability and stealth.

The project is well under way with only the gear linkage causing major issues.

welshpug

sod the turbo, I'd buy a proper ecu and you'll be back to 40 mpg easily if you use the right mapper with the 16v engine.

pugdamo

You need to bend the L shaped linkage down and then the longest gear linkage i put an s bend in it where it fouls the turbo.I have no pics though im afraid,it was just a case of trial and error when i did it,i believe Some people have removed the ball from the L shaped linkage and refitted it pointing downwards.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.Good luck with the rest of the build.

• Like 1

Simes

12mpg!!!! Problems with emissions, over fueling!

Check the mapping.

Steve

You need to bend the L shaped linkage down and then the longest gear linkage i put an s bend in it where it fouls the turbo.I have no pics though im afraid,it was just a case of trial and error when i did it,i believe Some people have removed the ball from the L shaped linkage and refitted it pointing downwards.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.Good luck with the rest of the build.

Thanks pugdamo the gear linkage is sorted now I'll put some pictures on soon showing the build in various stages hopefully it will be some help to somebody.

The car performance is still very good but much lower down the rev range especially the torque, kinda miss the frantic 16 v revving ( 8000 rpm) but I love the midrange of the turbo.

Really recommend this conversion, but you will need some fabrication skills for the exhaust down pipe.

Edited by Steve

Steve

Bit of an up date to the turbo built, i think i've approached this build from a different way than most other 205 turbo conversions i've seen on this forum. Unfortunately my first collection of build photos have been mislaid, I hope the remaining photos can help somebody out in this very rewarding build.

Steve

I drilled a second hole in the engine mounting (ground the mounting so the mounting nut fits correctly) and did the same on the battery/ gearbox support. This moves the engine /gearbox assembly forward approximately 15mm The top mount rubbers will have to be packed out at the rear because of the new bolt position.

Steve

This picture shows the removal of the head lug at the rear of the engine (cam belt side). This allows the turbo pipework to sit as close to the engine as possible, which means it does not foul the servo :)

Daviewonder

You wanna be careful as it looks like some of the filings have gone into your turbo.

Steve

The steel pipe on the turbo is a piece from the original XM exhaust. it fits perfect.

Steve

You wanna be careful as it looks like some of the filings have gone into your turbo.

Cheers Dave there was loads of rag in there first, had a good check after wards though mate :)

1275934_615587928529942_1320322544_o.jpg

Note the radiator.

1939403_615587875196614_408660114_o.jpg

Radiator and intercooler all fitted :)

1618329_615587755196626_407578289_o.jpg

1278128_615588468529888_118500096_o.jpg

1961048_615588375196564_800162138_o.jpg

10005783_615588338529901_1742544409_o.jp

1939668_615588291863239_684557049_o.jpg​

1396834_615588221863246_33851323_o.jpg

1278128_615588178529917_1104998664_o.jpg

1277642_615588515196550_1547389794_o.jpg

Stealth :)

James Cornell

That looks amazing, I would love to fit a beefy engine into mine and keep it looking stock...money and lack of time have dictated I stick with my leaky 8v for a bit longer :angry:

Cracking work, you're going to have some fun at the ring with that...

• Like 1

Slo

Have you fitted a t piece on the cooler to inlet pipe for the idle circuit?

Steve

Have you fitted a t piece on the cooler to inlet pipe for the idle circuit?

I drilled a hole in the inlet pipe and fitted an old air coupling adapter to it. The project was achieved on a very tight budget, just got in from a run out to buxton, the car is very usable.

Highly recommend the diesel gearbox :)

Steve

That looks amazing, I would love to fit a beefy engine into mine and keep it looking stock...money and lack of time have dictated I stick with my leaky 8v for a bit longer :angry:

Cracking work, you're going to have some fun at the ring with that...

Altering the engine mounts and a Honda civic type r radiator make this a very doable conversion. If u have a friendly welder to make a down pipe you can use the standard exhaust.

James Cornell

I remember seeing a down pipe made out of box section once to fit a big engine into a mini, not pretty but it did the job and you would never know until it launched...in a squealing plume of tyre smoke :-)

• Like 1