• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Plumbob

[Car_Restoration] Scruffy But Original 1.9 Gti - Restoration

Plumbob

Right! I'll keep it short!

I visited the bodyshop today and they've finally got cracking with the respray! There was rather a lot of filler in the passenger side rear quarter so they stripped it all out, fixed the dent and now it just requires a thin layer of filler rather than the huge amount that was there before.... Few bits done on the doors too so all in all looking good!

3F7B75DA-5209-4DBB-B6EA-93186839AD5C_zps

1F4FEC2C-1926-46B6-9913-EF8A668C922B_zps

2B0381E0-D824-435F-966A-619435AC24D0_zps

EAF5DD86-6202-416B-9A55-E745DF03B9B5_zps

5CF0394D-D447-47A7-A219-B55B7DDB63FB_zps

• Like 1

Plumbob

After seeing a load of 205's at Goodwood it got me in the mood to do a couple of jobs. So this afternoon I've painted the hubs that Allenallen refurbed for me and had the 399th attempt to paint my rear beam. I know you're thinking I should strip it, get it blasted and powder coated, and deep down inside I know I probably should too, but it's a good beam in good condition, and I don't want to muck about stripping it for the sake of a nicer paint job.

I tried and failed to use some Hammerite "direct to metal" aerosol a few weeks back, God knows what I did wrong, I buzzed all the old paint back to bare metal, did about 5 or 6 thin coats (of yellow) as directed and it barely covered the bare metal, then in frustration I did a "heavy" layer and the runs were unbelievable! The whole thing looked sh**e so I've stripped it back again and had another go but I'll use some bog standard grey primer and some cans of normal yellow and red paint this time. Fingers crossed I won't balls it up again!

00599E78-E422-462A-A289-1FC3065F36D2_zps

4832B0F8-CC9A-47DA-BAE6-B6DB930486E5_zps

Edited by Plumbob

Tom Fenton

I don't know here you got the beam but to be honest how do you know what the condition is, if it hasn't been to bits?

Plumbob

I don't know here you got the beam but to be honest how do you know what the condition is, if it hasn't been to bits?

I got it from alexcrosse on here, who I believe got it from a guy called Cameron (dirty word on here I understand), it was described as "very little miles". Its not locked solid like my old one, didn't creak when I fitted it to my car to try it out, and no 'orrible camber on the rear wheels...

I guess if i'm honest i'm a bit scared of taking the thing to bits. I've done most bits on a car before but never a beam like that.

Tom Fenton

If it's been done recently then it should come apart easily and all being well need a couple of seals and some new grease. At least then you know where you are with it.

Plumbob

Ah bloody ell! okaaaaaaay... haha :P

I'll have a look at the beam rebuild guide and see what I think....

speno

It's easy takes me about 2 mins

This is how it goes ....

pick's up phone Dials Toms number

Tom I need a beam

:P

Plumbob

Give Tom a ring for me will you?

• Like 1

Plumbob

Got a call this morning from the bodyshop! It's done! Woohooo!

2F09BBC0-7A52-4CAD-81D1-43BC6BF5D80C_zps

AF864601-DBB6-4F59-8F06-C63DBE1F9AB6_zps

Edited by Plumbob

Plumbob

Got a few bits done on the odd weekend that I've had available since getting it back. Doesn't look like much but it all takes time! Fitted the front struts and refurbed hubs, got the new indicators in and had a test of fitting the headlights. Most of the little bits of the engine bay are back in and the wiring is all rethreaded.

Had an unexpected day off today and so I fitted the new brake lines around the petrol tank then refitted the tank and filler neck etc... Fiddly stuff that took me some time but it'll be worth it in the end. Not many photos as it's usually too dark but I've got a few.

Also had a few more parts re-plated, shunt box bracket is a mess to be honest but it's better than it was.

6ECBADB4-5739-458E-8F12-62BBE232CE0B_zps

91433A9A-682C-486B-B4D0-837A9AF92851_zps

062283CF-F2D6-48C1-AF19-9CB4465575C5_zps

8F022D63-B693-47C4-8C0A-6EA735110B01_zps

Edited by Plumbob

credowan

Looking good mate I'll have to pop over sometime soon look round

Gary

Plumbob

Looking good mate I'll have to pop over sometime soon look round

Gary

No problem pal

Plumbob

Coming along......

E20321C5-489A-4B15-A7AB-B59AD45806AC_zps

4883B466-A910-4278-9896-BDF8E05C3ADE_zps

99BFA7FB-C2C7-413A-A455-9D43653A1DBA_zps

D0240E50-0E99-49A6-9423-B3D28B5C7F20_zps

• Like 1

dobboy

I envy you building it up, i took great pleasure in doing mine.

You get a lot more volunteers to help too! Lol

Plumbob

Rear beam and brakes done! (Except the handbrake cable)

E523BA04-1157-403C-B790-05D7E7D9C181_zps

42574AAF-614B-4D57-8BF4-A247D82A7A19_zps

dobboy

Plumbob, how are you piping up the back brakes?

(I have the brembo max disks on the front of mines too, they seem to work great.)

Plumbob

Plumbob, how are you piping up the back brakes?

(I have the brembo max disks on the front of mines too, they seem to work great.)

I'm going to pipe it in the standard 1.9 way. I've got a pre made set of copper nickel lines from Automec. The braided lines that you can see on the photo were on the beam when I bought it and I had originally planned to use them....

Then, I was laying under it the other day trying to figure out a safe route for them and couldn't.... No matter how I bend them around I can't see how they won't be in danger of getting crushed or rubbed away so I'm gonna use the normal four flexi's and a short length of hard pipe.

The fronts certainly look nice! Hope they work wel!

dobboy

Cool, i was meaning are you doing two pipes to the back with compensators, or one without with a T.

I can tell you i've not had any back locking up problems with single pipe without compensators, which i half expected.

I'll need to get the finger out and start doing the changes i want to do to mine, seeing others progressing is getting me in the mood lol

What box you using?

Plumbob

Oh! And there's me banging on about that other random stuff. Haha. Sorry!

I'm just gonna go for the std twin line with compensators still. I've read a lot about it and I can see that most people say it's fine without them but I'd rather just put them in and forget about them.

Plumbob

Oh, on the gearbox front I'm using a 1.9 box which I've put a Quaiffe diff into.

Or do you mean what make of tool box do I have? If so its a Kennedy! (little joke there)

dobboy

I've got the 1.9 box on mines just now with a Quaife too, and i'm changing the box asap.

The car isnt what it could be with the 1.9 box on.

Me and a freind had our cars side by side, only difference really being his has cams and a 6 speed, mines probably better exhaust. He left me standing!

The gears are very long. I have a good video if you'd like to see what i mean. Dont get me wrong it still feels good, but when you know it can be better....

Vts box i've got for it btw.

Edited by dobboy

Supersport2

Have you plated the stuff yourself?