• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DRTDVL

Ew Conversion Guide - Is There One?

SRDT
13 hours ago, DRTDVL said:

With the EW series engines, is it ok to run them at around 20 degrees vs the original 15

Originally it's 18.5° not 15, that's why you ended up around 20°.

I don't know for the others but I can't see the images.

DRTDVL
2 hours ago, SRDT said:

Originally it's 18.5° not 15, that's why you ended up around 20°.

I don't know for the others but I can't see the images.

Thanks for letting me know about the images not working, Google drive is playing up with its file sharing again, I'll sort that out later. 

I got the 15 degrees from Sandys Embrace the EW thread, he mentions it at the bottom of the first post. 

DRTDVL

I can't edit the old post, so sorry about the double up - if a mod wants to delete the old one feel free.

The 205 gearbox stud has worked a treat and the engine is basically completely level:

20200921_161725.jpg.ff80e838d372880d02cb645de04cd8f1.jpg

With the EW series engines, is it ok to run them at around 20 degrees vs the original 15, I've had a look and mocked up a mount that allows for the exhaust to clear the tunnel basically.

205 vs 206/307 (i can't remember which one is in the image below) mount, there doesn't appear to be much difference, except for the subframe mounting orientation:

20200816_110248.jpg.6e9fc1e1cebe9ede850bc71f3abb07bf.jpg

205 mount in place with engine hanging from Satchell top mount and 205 gearbox mount, the isn't anyway the factory mounts will work:.

20200816_110349.jpg.ba18c1a963c7dddc6fc622b01cfee666.jpg

I hacked up a couple of the spare mounts and made this monstrosity, just to test with:

20200921_162232.jpg.8a2dc204adbcf25aca1e930f92cc435e.jpg

this has the engine sitting about 20ish degrees and the driveshafts look good, it also allows for the exhaust to fit in the tunnel. The manifold is the gti180, with a high precession 3inch drain pipe i had laying around as a clearance indicator:

20200921_164440 (1).jpg

On 1/16/2012 at 4:32 AM, Sandy said:

... The cranks are mostly interchangeable with XU ones. Bore spacing identical to XU and valve angle/spacing as good as identical. The engine sits at 15 degrees inclination (XU 30 degrees). ...

Edited by DRTDVL

welshpug

I would keep it as close to original as possible, look at the angle of the gearbox stud to see if its correct, moving away from this is the same as the old tilting the Mi16 which was  a bit of a bodge, puts the shafts at odd angles and tips the oil further from the pickup

welshpug

looks like the collector flange of the manifold is well away from the bulkhead, just the downpipe angle to alter.

Gaz7612

What coolant hoses are people using for the EW conversions please? 
I’m getting a Radiator custom made, so the two at the front of the engine aren’t a concern. 
But what have people used for the hose at the rear? Header tank, heater matrix and engine!!

it’s an EW10J4S engine 

thanks in advance.