• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

Emerald M3Dk To K3 Upgrade

jackherer

How worthwhile is the Emerald M3DK to K3 upgrade? The main benefit I can see is self mapping with a wide band lambda but I'm not sure how useful that will be, I do have a wide band but if it's mapped well and nothing changes then surely it isn't necessary?

It used to cost £30 - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=70108 - but it is £180 + shipping (there and back) now which is quite a jump! Is it worth the money?

Is it just a firmware upgrade or are there hardware changes too?

Simes

I never bothered as I wouldn't use the newer features.

Anthony

Personally, I don't see the benefit on a simple ITB setup where you'd just want a single map that worked.

The self-map fuelling feature doesn't seem to work very well in reality having tried it when trying to get a half decent base map a couple of years back, and would only ever be an approximation anyway - it's not going to be a substitute for a proper map done on a dyno / RR.

The three selectable maps could be more useful for some applications, as could CAN bus, but for a typical N/A 205, an old M3DK would be fine IMO.

I'm not sure if all the K3 features are yet enabled in software either - they certainly weren't for ages after release.

For £30 I'd probably have got it upgraded, but for best part of £200 I don't think that I'd bother personally - probably be better selling it 2nd hand and picking up a used K3/K6 as replacement if you really needed the features. AFAIK only ECU's after a certain serial number are upgradable, so a it might be a moot point if yours is very early.

jackherer

Mine is late enough to upgrade, confirmed by Emerald. I'd like to hear how they justify the huge price hike, I took another look at the specs and the number of ignition and injection drivers varies so it looks like there are hardware changes but 500% extra can't just be down to the price of transistors rising!