• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

Peugeot 205 Stdt Talk

forbeslongden

Hey there guys,

Since selling my GTi and buying an STDT I've become fascinated by this particular model, I'm aware that production was only for 8-9 months in 1993/1994 wasn't it?

Now, I've got a L-Reg example which I thought was the only registration mark they were on but I've seen this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_jS4ucxRYk

Looking at DVLA vehicle check, this bad boy isn't for this world anymore but my question is, has anyone else got an M-reg STDT?

Also, are there any other colours aside Green, Grey and Gold?

Edited by forbeslongden

forbeslongden

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

I want it so badly :( I've never seen an M plate, thanks for sharing this :)

lfallgti

The original dealer must have had that sitting for around 2 years surely??

Very late models had grey carpet and plastic inlet manifold.

The original dealer must have had that sitting for around 2 years surely??

Very late models had grey carpet and plastic inlet manifold.

forbeslongden

Funny thing is, the year of manufacture is 1995.... What an oddity.

dcc

Not quite lee, you're not far off the truth, but not ALL later models had the plastic inlet.

forbeslongden

If I had the funds available plus a garage I'd buy it and keep it safe :)

lfallgti

Not quite lee, you're not far off the truth, but not ALL later models had the plastic inlet.

The red carpet alone would make it at least 2 years old before it was registered though wouldn't it?

According to this websites timeline.

Why did some but not all have the plastic inlet?

forbeslongden

If the DVLA vehicle check reveals that it was manufactured in 1995 and it was registered in March 1995 does that mean it was actually made in 95' ?

I'd be interested to see the date clocks on the plastics to see if it says 95.

Also, could we have a mod change the title to late GTi's and STDT's?

Edited by forbeslongden

lfallgti

DVLA could only designate the plate from the date of registration not build date though?

The VIN number referenced through Peugeot would reveal more I'd think.

willis

The ad does say rebuilt engine so who knows who by and what parts were used which could explain the inlet. I find it hard to believe (though not impossible) it would have been standing around for 2+ years but the red carpet is very strange........

ORB

You'd be amazed what's laying about at dealerships! I happen to know where there are THREE unregistered 206 GTi 180's

We have a 207 GTI THP 175 that's never been registered.

welshpug

are they going cheap 0li? :lol:

• Like 1

ORB

Our 207 is not for sale, it's the irmsher one that Peugeot used for the motor show around 07/08, gull wing doors etc etc.

The 206's are actually with Peugeot amoung other stuff on distribution

Anthony

Something doesn't add up with that 95/M plate 205 at all in my opinion.

• Given that it appears to have a non-CAT engine / Jetronic management, that suggests that it was manufactured prior to August 1992. If it was manufactured after that date, it should have a CAT engine and Motronic management.
  • The regular Phase 2 interior backs that up, as the late 205's (typically when the CAT became mandatory) had the so called "Phase 2.5" interior with the grey carpet/console and late patterned door cards
  • It is what appears to be Steel Grey, yet has a red/black interior rather than green/black that it should have
  • It appears at a glance to have been resprayed, so possible that Steel Grey isnt the original colour (although engine bay looks to match)
  • It doesn't have the strange blanking plug arrangement above the OSF strut top that late 205's usually do (my 92/K reg does for example)
  • It's hard to tell from the photo, but I can't obviously see the mounting holes for the 3rd brakelight on the tailgate that I think the very late 205's should all have

Certainly not impossible that it sat around unregistered for years - all the 309 Goodwood models were made in 1991 and yet there are some registered on a 1994 L registration for example - but something doesn't seem quite right with that car and if I were going to look at it myself, I would certainly be checking all the paperwork, the VIN plates and the car itself very carefully.

It is possible that it's genuine and was just an odd "parts bin special" spec, but seems more likely in my opinion that it's not quite as original as the seller is claiming as there's too much that doesn't appear to add up.

lfallgti

That's kind Of what I was getting at. There seems to be too many variables for it to be genuine.

Wouldn't it have a steel grey colour stamp near the slam panel if it was original?

Is it possible it was originally a diesel?

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Do we reckon it's actually a Steel Grey STDT that's had GTI parts transplanted to make it appear as an extremely late model 1.9? Since both cars share the same body shell it'd be pretty simple to donor suspension and engine + interior parts into an M-reg STDT wouldn't it? Certainly not cost effective, but possible?

Also, you could declare to the DVLA that it was in fact a 1.9 GTI once the work was carried out right?

forbeslongden

Fuel filler cap doesn't look right........

Also, doesn't the centre console carpet look a little bunched as well and not very flush to the floor carpet....

Edited by forbeslongden
  • Like 1

Anthony

Possible, yes, likely, no.

It would be pretty much a complete reshell including wiring to turn an STDT into a GTi, and even then, it would still say "STDT" on the V5C.

The centre console carpet looks OK to me at a glance - they often don't look to sit quite right, even on cars that I'm reasonably convinced are original and unmessed with.

Fuel filler cap (or at least the trim insert on it) is from a base model, hence the "slats" on it rather than being smooth.

If it is (or was originally) Graphite Grey then it would make more sense, but it looks far too light to be Graphite in the photo - typically Graphite looks nearly black in the shade, whereas that is still very much grey.

forbeslongden

It's such a strange little thing.... It's a very striking vehicle there's no two ways about it but 1995 seems so late..... I could maybe understand mid/late 94/M but early 95/M just seems so late but obviously not impossible because there it is!

willis

I believe slam panels started off black in early phase 1 cars, then cream/beige for the majority of the cars production but then returning to black at the end.

Edited by willis

willis

This could have been sprayed/replaced however as there's no stickers on there.

ORB

Interesting, the reg will not search through Experian or Glass but it will through MyCarCheck app.

I want the Vin to spec check it.

lfallgti

Interesting, the reg will not search through Experian or Glass but it will through MyCarCheck app.

I want the Vin to spec check it.

Please somebody help this man! i'm intrigued now.

Maybe it was flood damaged, hence new interior and different engine???

forbeslongden

Could we email the seller for more details about it?

It could very well be water damage though.... I'm ripping the carpet out of my STDT today because where it's leaked water through the sunroof it stinks of Ganga in there for some reason, either that or the previous owner was a dealer ;)