• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

306 V6 Will Not Bleed!

welshpug

Pressurise coolant to 1.4 bar and use coolant rather than pure water and the boiling point will be higher.

I'd get a two speed single fan setup, the 306 rallye had it, possibly several others, saves making up the wiring, just plug straight in.

dave205

Ive got wiring and relays here so will just knock something up, quickly. Its simple enough to do

TooMany2cvs

Most of the ones i have in that picture read 92.5-97 on them, which seems very high considering boiling point is only 100 degrees!

Except it isn't. Add coolant, and the boiling point raises. Add pressure, and it raises further. In the sealed environment, the proper mix shouldn't boil until probably somewhere approaching 110deg.

dave205

What would you mix it? 50-50 or something?

allye

The purple band item is the lowest temp. 10-15mins it will get boiling hot like this easily at a stand still. They heat up even quicker than a 6, I'm going to have a larger volume one made to cure it full stop.

Could this be simply a case of it over heating due to no fan?

TooMany2cvs

What would you mix it? 50-50 or something?

Depends what you've bought. If it's ready-mix coolant, then neat. If it's concentrate, then 1:2 or 1:1. Read the bottle...

Using neat water's a really bad move, even in summer, unless you need it for whatever race/track-day regs (coolant's slippery when spilt). It's not just "anti-freeze", it's also anti-corrosion, as well as raising the boiling point.

dave205

I havent bought anything yet :). Ive been using water just to test, i'll fill it with proper coolant when i know the system is good.

Can you run pure coolant like some cars do in these v6 engines?

dave205

Fitted myself a 14" slimline rad fan tonight, re-fitted the front end. I filled and bled the system from cold, started it up and coonected the fan up once the temp gauge hit 80 degrees, the fan isnt properly wired yet just slung on there as a test. It ticked over for 15-20 mins approx with out even making the header tank hot.

I then took it for an enthusiastic 1-2 mile drive with the fan off, and it still didnt raise above 85 degrees, so think once ive got the fan switch fitted and filled it with anti freeze it'll be sorted...at long old last!

I feel stupid now, i think ive been so worried theres a problem ive over looked the small stupid points! :/

• Like 1

welshpug

They run fine once moving on the road, but sit still and they make a lot of heat!

allye

They run fine once moving on the road, but sit still and they make a lot of heat!

Amen to that! They are worse than a 6' by far, mine actually over heated on the way back from Pugfest in traffic. Had to pull over.

dave205

Yeah its taken a while but i got there in the end! :)

• Like 1