• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

New Loom

burr_2000

i am needing some advice on re-wiring my loom. The car is a track car so only need the basics to make it road legal. i had a look through brumsters informative build http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=128931 and thinking of doing pretty much exactly the same as what he did in the wiring diagrams, only difference is i am using a TU3 engine.

i also was having a look at cameron's drawings aswell http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=96431 . i am using a DTA ecu and bought a dash 2.

i am struggling to get my head round the fuse box/relay board bit. if someone has made there own loom and got rid of the bulky old fuse box could show me pics or wiring diagrams.

Any help appreciated,

cheers Neil

petert

This is how I did one recently. Everything mounts on a piece of 3mm aluminium plate, the same size as the original ECU. +12V is supplied to the fuse block, which has 3 fuses, controlling 3 relays - fuel pump, ECU and injectors. Power was supplied separately to the ignition system, but you could run that off the injector relay as well. Better still, add a fourth fuse/relay for the ignition. That's it, other than stop lights and wipers.

It's better and more convenient to mount the plate in the middle of the firewall however, where the heater matrix use to be, if track car only.

post-2864-0-54750000-1378205739_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

brumster

Glad to find my wiring diagrams useful to someone!

I have used a Wurth TRM module in another road-going kit car; this does a lovely job of providing a factory level of features but in an aftermarket option. But they're not cheap at just shy of £100, unless you can blag one as a free sample if you're in the trade. It sounds like that would be overkill for a track/race car though, so I'd go more along the lines of Peter's route. As a rally car, mine had to remain road legal.

If you DO want to go the Wurth route, I have extensive diagrams and plans but they are all scribbled on paper at the moment. My idea was to draw it up nicely in Visio but I've never got round to it :)

• Like 1

burr_2000

thats a nice simple setup peter!

To race in my class it has to be road legal, i am in the process of going through my spare loom and trimming it down like your drawings brumster, even though some of the numbers are confusing at points. i am thinking of getting one of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fuse-boxes/auto-marine-blade-terminal-fuse-box and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Way-Splash-Proof-Automotive-Relay-Holder-Box-4-5-PIN-/170659276225. i am just wanting it as simple as possible but my concern is still the making up of the new fusebox/relay part. Once you add up some parts i might be better with TRM module, can you maybe send me some info.

brumster

I'll scan the designs in.... ;)

Have a look at the data sheet on the above page. The TRM has 2 9-pin relay holders so, from your perspective, this would cover a flasher relay and a wash/wipe relay which I would think is all you really need.

The rest are just conventional relay switches - various sizes/ratings, some are double-pole (K107), most if not all are configurable via jumpers to be either switch-on-live or switch-on-earth. Just tally up the circuits you need on your car with the appropriate fuse ratings and relays. You should have plenty on there for your needs - I used this for a Lotus 7 road car so while pretty basic in terms of electrical requirements, it's probably not dissimilar to your needs. No electric windows, no heated rear window element, etc :)

Edited by brumster

Tom Fenton

Vehicle Wiring Products are very good, I've been using them for 15 years, added bonus for me is they are not a million miles away so if in urgent need I've called in there a couple of times.

However another firm Polevolt are as good if not marginally better, they do just a smattering of useful automotive specific plugs etc that Vehicle Wiring Products don't list.

brumster

I use VWP quite a bit, but sometimes there's a few things it's worth shopping around for - lights, switches, relays in particular. I think VWP have got comfortable now, and their prices sometimes reflect that :)

%0
  • Like 1

petert

Painless do a very nice relay/fuse block if you want something more commercial.

burr_2000

is there any other version of a wiring diagram, I am not filled with confidence with the haynes one. for example the speaker wires are labelled on the diagram 220 and 221 and whats on the wire is 211 and 212!?

petert

If it's a track car, pull everything out and start again. For example, the Painless relay/fuse board I speak off, is fully pre-wired and labelled. You just need to terminate the ends.

burr_2000

have you got a link peter, cant seem to find it on there website? i think it would be expensive option

petert

Download their PDF catalogue and have a look at page 18/19. #50005 is one I was thinking of, but as you need indicators, horn etc., #50003 may better suit your needs.

Edited by petert

burr_2000

ah ok thats $550, maybe a tad expensive. i have sent a request for a free TRM device so hopefully that will come off. i might still try pick through the mess of wiring for the moment and if no luck i might start from scratch with stand alone fuse box and i only need 3 relays dim/dip,indicators and front wiper. the engine bay wiring harness is no probs because the TU3 had hardly anything going on its just the mess of wires on the inside that causes more confusion than needed.

burr_2000

im confused with the wiring diagram 3, it shows there being 2 wiper relays (98), my fuse box only has 2 relays plugged in and there's certainly not a 6 leg relay. can anyone help clear this up. i have found the 4 leg dim/dip relay in the engine loom. i have a 3 leg relay in the fuse box which is for the indicators and the other is a 4 leg which i think should be the wipers but does not correspond to the diagram.