• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

Be3 Gearbox Oil Filling Techniques

Henry Yorke

I know the BE3 has a filler hole on the side of the box and you shoud fill it with 75W80 oil to a point where it is level with the bottom of the hole (approx 1.8 litres). However if I buy a 2 litre bottle from Peugeot of the Total stuff, it will not come with the little spout necks like a 1 litre bottles. A standard funnel will not easily fit in, unless I squeeze a pipe on the bottom of it and bend through 90 degrees.

Can you remove the reverse switch and fill vertically from there with a funnel and a pipe??

What do other people do to get oil into the vertical hole?

Paul_13

There's a black plastic nut looking thing on the top of the box. Crack this off and I use a petrol funnel from halfords (the orange one with the flexi spout)

• Like 1

marksorrento205

I use a funnel I bought from Halfords years ago (as it has a small enough end to fit in the hole), remove the breather port on the top of the box (19mm) and the level plug in the end cap. Fill to over flow with the car level = job done :)

Edit: Beat me to it :lol:

Edited by marksorrento205

Tom Fenton

As above fill through the breather on top. I usually just put 2 full litres in.

welshpug

pop the car on full left lock and whip the level plug out, place a drain tub under it, and stick your oil through the breather as described above.

BE 5 speed capacity is 2 litres, however if filling from wet you'll likely not get the full 2 in.

chipstick

Agreed. I unscrew the breather at the top and use a funnel.

You'll often find the level plug will begin to dribble when there's a little bit still left in the 2L bottle due to some oil remaining in the box. Ensure you're on a level surface.

allanallen

I usually pour at least 0.2 litres all over the loom/gearbox/coolant hoses etc when I'm doing it so I end up with the perfect amount in the box, fact! :P

• Like 3

johnnyboy666

I tend to pour 1.8 litres on the drive and about 0.2 litres down my sleeve!

• Haha 1

Henry Yorke

Cheers guys. I came in, located the plug, took a pic and then popped back on here only to see Paul had posted the same! Not wanting to waste a perfectly good pic, here is mine!

post-3457-0-12862000-1375463046_thumb.jpg

I went to Peugeot today and bought their BV 75w-80 oil (part number 9730 AA) which was 10.60 + VAT for 2 litres with a PSC discount

post-3457-0-77032500-1375463239_thumb.jpg

I'll be funnel hunting later as I had a petrol one at some point.

S@m

9730AA? should tell them to order VOL142 instead - Costs dealers £2 less per bottle!......although the retail price is higher which is a massive pisstake.

Another thing worth noting is its always cheaper to get two 1L bottles rather than a single 2L bottle (9730A2) - another quirk of peugeot pricing.

Edited by Sam306

chipstick

If you can't find your funnel - get your scissors out and draw a circle on some laminated card ;)

Henry Yorke

I got 2 single litre bottles according to the invoice and that was the part number on it :s

I removed the breather plug. Is it meant to just be a plastic plug with a hole in it?

post-3457-0-01862200-1375469955_thumb.jpg

So I then concocted a long funnel out of two smaller ones

post-3457-0-98551300-1375469944_thumb.jpg

As predicted, it glugged at the start and poured some oil down the sides into the casting :( I was trying to put the first litre in without removing the side drain plug though. Once this was removed, the air could come straight out and it poured fine.

I used a spirit level on the slam panel to get it level and it took exactly 1.8 litres

post-3457-0-88565500-1375469957_thumb.jpg

One lap around the block revealed that my binding on full lock problem was still partially there :( More testing needed, but a thunderstorm came and I put it back in the garage in a sulk

chipstick

There should be a small white plug cap on the top of it.

Obey_R

I find a length of hose is just as good as a funnel. Cut a slit down one end and open it up to pour into.

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi
On 8/2/2013 at 6:14 PM, Paul_13 said:

post-12999-0-68584300-1375463608.jpg

Right I'm off to get one of these :) 

DamirGTI

Too posh !!

Just an bog standard funnel with an piece of clear hose attached on works no problem .

D

• Like 1

pug_ham

Whatever you get, you'll still need to be careful & fill it slowly or oil will come out of the breather plug around the funnel spout if you try to fill it too fast.

g.

• Like 1

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

thanks guys :) 

Just started doing it really carefully. it's not as easy as I thought with the 30 degree engine tilt. I had to take the battery out just to be sure. 

I have put in 1.5 litre overnight to see if there are any leaks with sump drains under the drain points.

How much is the capacity? I'm just looking in the Haynes and it is not immediately apparent. Hopefully I'll find it somewhere. 

It is so so long ago since I drained it out I just can't remember how much came out. 

DamirGTI

Between 1.9 to 2 L , 75W-80 .

Myself i always refill with 2 L .

D

• Like 1

pug_ham

it's been filled before & not stripped down so you know it's actually completely empty, around 1.8l should see it trickling out of the fill/level plug hole in the end cover when you car is sat properly on level ground.

g