• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
0ption2

Plastic Whirring Type Noise When Turning Right

0ption2

OK, this is turning into a bit of a poser......

Bit of backgroud, 8v 1.9 gti with twin Dellorto 40s, Catcam 182 camshaft and vernier pulley, Maniflow 4 branch manifold and exhaust system.

My car has developed what I can only describe as a plastic whirring type noise when turning right. The noise does not seem to be engine speed dependant and dose not happen when turning with the engine off. It is present whether changing lanes or on full lock at the same volume.

I recently removed my standard exhaust set up and replaced it with a full Maniflow system and manifold. Prior to the exhaust replacement this noise was not present.

While I had the manifold off I took the opportunity to replace the speedo cable which was causing wild wobbles on my speedometer.

After buttoning these two mods back up the noise started.

I've had the dash off and clocks removed with speedo cable disconnected and test driven the car and the noise is still present.

I've also double checked the manifold for leaks and rechecked all the bolts incase it was a leak causing ticking.

It also doesnt seem to be anything snagging on the alternator.

My last option (to be investigated tonight) is the timing belt fouling the plastic cover although I can't see why this would suddenly start happening and only when turning right?

Any advice or experience of similar issues much appreciated!

welshpug

how low is it running and what wheels+tyres do you have?

0ption2

It's lowered about 35mm on Gaz coilovers. Currently on 1.9 speedlines with 185/55/15 Toyo TR1s.

Anthony

Not the exhaust manifold or exhaust touching the shell when cornering? It's surprising how much movement the engine and exhaust has!

0ption2

That was another thought I had, Anthony. The flange on the Maniflow system does foul the heat sheilding under the car and contacts when engaging gear. The noise seems to be very isolate to the drivers corner though; not under the car and is very "plasticy" if you know what I mean? I'll try wrapping the flange to see if it stops though. One more for the list tonight!

jackherer

The cambelt cover was my first thought when I read the title, I'd have a look before you run it much more in case the belt is damaged.

I've had random faults develop after working on cars that couldn't possibly be caused by the work that has been done, it's frustrating as you go through what you've done and find nothing.

ALEX

Had a similar noise with my Gti, has your's got power steering?

mine was noise from the PAS when under load,.

0ption2

I know what you mean jackherer! Home now so investigations about to commence.

ALEX, where about in the PAS was yours? I did have PAS but removed it when I converted to carbs. I've still got the PAS rack though wi all the pipes disconnected.

0ption2

OK, update.

I got the top part of the timing belt cover off and took it for a test drive. It actually sounded a bit better but not quite gone yet.

Looks like the bottom bit will have to come off now......grrrr......