• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
p1234

Gti6 Running An Emerald Problems

p1234

As above, im running an Emerald ecu on a gti6 engine in my 205,

Its a newly built engine, I took it out on its first track day for a bit of testing a few weeks back which ended prematurely when the fan belt snapped and flew into the timing belt resulting in 10 bent valves. Anyway, that problem is sorted now but I noticed a drop in power on 1 of the few laps I got in that day, like it was running low on fuel or the fuel pump not being up to the job.

With the car being on the rolling road for a few hours being mapped before hand showed up no issues like that im thinking its not fuel related.

I was getting the car ready today for a spin on track on Monday and took it for a quick blast, same problem again with a lul in power at high revs in 1st. Picked up a new Xs coilpack....same issue, new plugs, leads etc, no help.

I'm wondering is it ecu or sensor related now or has anyone come across this problem before.

The engine ticks over perfect and revs up fine.

welshpug

check the ecu, see if its picked up anything.

Anthony

If it's a fairly repeatable fault, take a drive with a laptop plugged in and the ECU in logging mode, and see what the sensor readings are looking like.

(I think the latest K6 ECU has a proper logging mode, but the original M3DK and K3 certainly needed the laptop plugged in at the time)

If it's completely random and very sporadic then it might be a pain to find, but if it's particularly at high revs then fuel pump or filter sound plausible, as that would starve the engine of fuel and make it feel quite flat and down on power (but typically be fine at idle and low load/revs)

p1234

I presume I can download the emerald software from there site? I bought the ecu second hand off here in a throttle body package so came with no info.

Ill also need a connector wire as mine got broken somehow on the rolling road.

The car did run around the same power before with the same tank and pump setup, but ill upgrade the pump for starters and take it from there, it seems only to happen at high revs and what I thought might have been only when hot but happened constantly in high revs in 1st from cold ish today. The bit of road around the warehouse isn't long enough to get it out of 1st. I cant take it out on the road.

Looks like the heart ache continues!

welshpug

have you got a wideband lambda?

• Like 1

p1234

Standard lambda sensor welshpug, used before when I had the bodies running on a standard engine.

Caddyshack

I can see where welsh pug is going...get a wide band on there and see if it runs lean at that point as that could be fuel starvation. You should change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure regulator, maybe look to replace the fuel pump and maybe look at the possibility of a swirl pot.

Dave Walker runs emerald and is a legend, either get the car on his rollers or email him, he is quick to respond and very helpful

petert

Does the Emerald have a data logging function? Can you count and see trigger events?

I can't see how a narrow band sensor would be any use to you. I wide band would allow you to view a more useful range of AFR's.

p1234

Thanks lads, ill get the ecu hooked up to the laptop and start with fueling.

Ill do some research on swirl pots, ill need to built a bulkhead if im going down that road.

welshpug

not if you stick it under the boot floor.

p1234

With its main aim of being a rallycross car for next season id be thinking the less parts outside the car the better, unwanted objects can find there way past guards sometimes but ill have a look at all ideas.

Thanks for all the help lads, ill keep yous posted.

Edited by p1234