• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jolly Green Monster

Whats Considered The Best?

Jolly Green Monster

Ignoring cost whats classed as the daddy ecu for a 205?

petert

MoTeC

Jolly Green Monster

Find the motec mapping software very unuser friendly and clunky.

brumster

Question is, what does "being the daddy" entail?

Best for me would be the features that I need with the support I need, with user-friendly software, at the lowest price.

I won't pretend I've played with the likes of MoTeC and DTA, but from what I've seen so far, Emerald takes the prize for me. Having used EFI Technologies extensively (I have it on my car), it might be the preferred choice of lots of racing teams but the software on it is abysmal. Emerald might not have fancy connectors and a golden casing :) but it's feature list is impressive, it doesn't charge for expensive CAN adapters to map it, the support is friendly and excellent and the price is good. I'm sure OMEX and DTA (and other newer makes) can compete too, maybe close on price, but I've very little experience of them so won't comment.

If "daddy"="most expensive and gold looking" then MoTeC is definately the daddy :) !!

Edited by brumster

chipstick

Ring your chosen mapper and when you've introduced yourself quickly get on to the question of 'which ECU is the daddy'. After a WTF stall they will probably state their preferred brand and why it's favourable for them.

• Like 1

brumster

Indeed - that's another factor I forgot. "What does the person who's going to map it prefer to work with" :P

Jolly Green Monster

Will be mapping myself and tempted to use what I prefer but never been done to my knowledge on a 205. So was curious what the opinion was from you guyd.

Simon

brumster

What do you prefer? Any reason why you think it wouldn't be suitable? Surely from an engine management perspective the type of car it's going into is pretty meaningless? What I mean is, just because it's never been done in a 205 doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea....

welshpug

download the softwares and have a fiddle.

rallyeash

Jolly green monster maps cars for his job. Mainly turbo i believe. He mapped my Impreza :-)

• Like 1

Jolly Green Monster

Ideal world syvecs would be great but cant see the r&d time and expence worth while.

I bought my 205 to do some track time, rather than taking the racecar round, learn the track in the 205 etc then learn to drive it in the racecar knowing the track already.

I wasnt intending fitting an ecu but..... I struggle not being able to play.

Simon

welshpug

baffled why you are asking if you're a mapper :blink:

Jolly Green Monster

Asking because I wondered whether majority use.

Seems a lot of talk of omex which isnt a bad route, for the cost.

petert

Find the motec mapping software very unuser friendly and clunky.

Not meaning to be rude, but you're probably not capable of mapping it yourself then.

Jolly Green Monster

Not meaning to be rude, but you're probably not capable of mapping it yourself then.

lol, so if you go and test drive a new car, and its lefthand drive and you find that ackward and unnecessarily unuser friendly does that mean you can drive any other car that works in the same way as many others?

I can name 7 ecu makes off the top of my head that use the same mouse and keyboard key presses to do the same functions, motec choose to be different (maybe its an Oz thing, although Link are in similar location and choose not to use same as motec, oh Link make that 8 ecu makes).

In my humble opinion the motec is a powerful ecu let down by the user interface software..

Simon

Jolly Green Monster

baffled why you are asking if you're a mapper :blink:

I map another make of vehicle full time, I dont intend mapping 205's other than my own, this is my first post on the forum, normally you ask something like this on a forum and you get either no response, or someone trying to sell you their used ecu.. so its been impressive to get so many responses.

I dont see going to a massive exercise cost and timewise to sort something when within the vehicles I map there are specific ecus which are not available on anything else.. thought it worth the question.

Maybe I shouldnt have bothered.

Simon

Jolly green monster maps cars for his job. Mainly turbo i believe. He mapped my Impreza :-)

lol busted..

Jolly Green Monster

What do you prefer? Any reason why you think it wouldn't be suitable? Surely from an engine management perspective the type of car it's going into is pretty meaningless? What I mean is, just because it's never been done in a 205 doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea....

Alcatek is a subaru specific ecu, there is a universal one whcih it is possible to make a loom for but would need the firmware altering to add the 205 crank wheel etc or change the crank wheel.. syvecs again could be done but its an expensive ecu and unlikely to be the market within pug etc to warrent their r&d so would be all my own time to sort on making a one off..

welshpug

just download dtaswin, emerald or omex software and have a play, any of their standard systems will do what you need, S40, 600, K3 etc, they're all around the £5-600 mark.

the badge on the car matters not to which ecu you choose, only how complex the engine is, obviously if you were choosing someone to map your chosen vehicle you would go to someone with decent knowledge of that engine, usually someone who builds and maps, like Sandy Brown, builds pugs and fords, some honda, also maps for John Read who builds Vauxhall and ford, the Millingtons who obviously build the diamonds,.

Jolly Green Monster

just download dtaswin, emerald or omex software and have a play, any of their standard systems will do what you need, S40, 600, K3 etc, they're all around the £5-600 mark.

the badge on the car matters not to which ecu you choose, only how complex the engine is, obviously if you were choosing someone to map your chosen vehicle you would go to someone with decent knowledge of that engine, usually someone who builds and maps, like Sandy Brown, builds pugs and fords, some honda, also maps for John Read who builds Vauxhall and ford, the Millingtons who obviously build the diamonds,.

have used omex, emerald before and had a look at dtaswin fairly sure that was on a saxo... will take another look

welshpug

Many mappers will have their favoured systems as has been mentioned, I know Sandy and JRE tend to use DTA on their own builds, Dave Walker obviously only does Emerald as he is Mr Emerald :lol:

Track and road not far from you are Omex agents IIRC.

Jolly Green Monster

Did an exige on an emerald and there was a minor issue with it and Dave was very quick to get it sorted when I spoke to him..

brumster

It sounds like you've kinda answered your own question really. Sounds like the ones you use/map are very Subaru-specific or too expensive, but you've had positive experiences with Emerald and OMEX. So I would pick whichever one ticks your boxes in terms of required functions, cost and your personal preference on the mapping software.

I must admit, without wanting to put you off on your first post, I was thinking along the same lines as Welshpug when it was revealed your a mapper yourself - an odd question to come from someone already in the business ;). No matter, welcome to the forum, apologies if we sound 'abhrasive' ;):D

Jolly Green Monster

It sounds like you've kinda answered your own question really. Sounds like the ones you use/map are very Subaru-specific or too expensive, but you've had positive experiences with Emerald and OMEX. So I would pick whichever one ticks your boxes in terms of required functions, cost and your personal preference on the mapping software.

I must admit, without wanting to put you off on your first post, I was thinking along the same lines as Welshpug when it was revealed your a mapper yourself - an odd question to come from someone already in the business ;). No matter, welcome to the forum, apologies if we sound 'abhrasive' ;):D

yes I think I have.. lol.

I can see that but was just thiking out loud with regards to the 205 specifically.

petert

My only other advice then is to use sequential fueling and tps/map blending if your engine and ecu has the capability. You see a lot of modern engines on here that only run multipoint. I'd want the following:

4 fuel outputs

4 ign outputs

at least four PWM outputs

at least four AVI inputs

fuel by tps

ignition by map

user programmable RPM points (32)

user programmable load points (32)

user programmable AFR table

VE tuning

CAN bus

and a digital input for a flex fuel sensor

etc.

Edited by petert

Jolly Green Monster

Bit over kill though for my current needs but then it always ends up feature creeping so maybe I just fit a syvecs.

Got a flexi fuel sensor to set up on a syvecs tomorrow.