• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ian010778

1.6 Xu 8V Starter Motor

ian010778

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well - it's been a while since I've posted.

I've just took the fat bodied starter and solenoid off my standard 1989 1.6 8v as it has given up and I need a bit of advice about a replacement please.

Looking through the past threads, I see that the slimline Valeo is probably the one I need to go for rather than directly replacing the fat body unit I have just removed. However, I can't find a part number anywhere on the forum - can anyone help with the Valeo part number for the slimline unit and maybe a Valeo stockist in the Leicester area please? The Valeo website sent me to a dealer that clearly states 'Bosch only' this morning :-)

I've also had a look on Ebay and the following remanufactured units have returned from the same seller but I'm unsure as to whether the slimmer unit is the one I want or not as the units are not oriented the same way in the pictures. Also, although they're not very expensive, I'm just not sure about remanufactured - would I be best to go for a recon'd original Valeo rather than a remanufactured?

Fat bodied unit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-INC-GTI-NEW-STARTER-MOTOR-1-6-1-9-1986-1991-/300556091961?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fa8a0239

Slim bodied unit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-INC-GTI-NEW-STARTER-MOTOR-1-6-1-9-1991-1996-/280383292994?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4148258642

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Ian.

ps - I'm sure that it's the starter I need to replace as I've tested all the usual and the starter's definitely knack'd - plus it's about 10 years old and seeing as I've gone to the trouble of getting it out (without removing the radiator or manifold) I want to replace it and the solenoid anyway.

sub205

Both of them fit your engine.

Personally i prefer the slimer ones. They have a planetary gearbox and are much lighter. You do not need the additional mounting bracket in the middle of the engine.

Refurbished or not ... don't know. I have seen several big starters failing in the last 10 years. Only one of the slim died in the car of a friend. Personally i never had any problems with these.

ian010778

Cheers,

After a bit of cleaning and testing it seemed to work ok in the garage so its back on the car now and it merrily started this morning - I'm just waiting now to see how long it goes for as I'm probably on borrowed time with it!

Ian.

Miles

You'll find that allot with the big bodied ones, Bench test and they are fine, Add heat and thats when they start playing up, I think thats why most just get a coat of paint and sent out again when recon and all the issues, Slimline ones are the best, again I;ve had 1 of these fail compared to loads of the early type