• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bovien

All New Parts, Still Vague Steering

S@m

Cheers Anthony, so it might be worth fitting since i have it lying around, would be a mild improvement. Just need to remove the PAS bits.

Callum
On 6/17/2013 at 10:19 PM, dave richards said:

if it is the standard manual rack check the spring and piston behind that puts pressure on the pinion as i found mine was stuck and no pressure being applied this gave a similar situation to the one you describe with free movement in the rack

Where is this? 

JeffR

If the 205 is similar to this 405 rack, it's behind the metal cover circled.

Steering Rack.jpg

Callum

Okay once I remove the cap how should it look it in there? If it is dry do i need to pack with grease etc.?

JeffR

It's been quite a few years since I serviced the rack but basically behind the cover are one or two spacing or centralising washers, a spring which pushes against a circular nylon block shaped to the back or the long rack.

Yep, lubricate with as much grease as you can get in there.

Be extra careful on re-assembly as I found it was easy for the centralising washer (or spring) to not align properly which gave me a nervous feel through the wheel.

• Like 1

ArthurH

My son and I are in a similar position of trying to find some play in his rack - so the previous advice is very useful.  Regarding the plastic cap: it has a big chunk missing.  I have seen other photos on this forum of similarly damaged caps.  Exhaust heat?  Is it there to keep water out?  Should it have grease packed underneath?  Are replacements available?

IMG_20190117_150925870.thumb.jpg.2528d371a5b3b304acf11c5c6b31fc26.jpg

ArthurH

Also, what is the function of the plastic bush closest to the camera in the above photo?

hoodygoodwood

Plastic close to the exhaust can crack like that , its just a protective cap to stop water getting into the mechanism - replace it if you can find another one . The plastic piece on the end of the pinion I have always assumed is just a guide to aid assembly of rack and steering joint plus it fills the hole in the U/J and stops a build up of dirt etc .