• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge For Testing

notamondayfan

My Mi16 is worrying me slightly, the stop light and the oil pressure light is coming on.

When I last drove the car from my old house to the new house, there were no problems, no warning lights, even through the oil got up to temperature. Now the car is sorn and parked in the garage, and when I started it last the warning lights came on at low RPM (the gauge is still showing good pressure, but the stop light is flicking on. Should the stop light be either fully on / off, as this is a gradual on / off?).

The engine hasn't really done much mileage since it was rebuilt 5 years ago, but want to check the oil pressure properly just so I know if I'm dealing with a mechanical problem, or an electrical fault.

Anyway, I've seen this kit for testing the pressure. I'm not really interested in fitting a permanent kit in the car, so this looks ideal. The only thing is what adaptor would I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS-MECHANICAL-REMOTE-MASTER-ENGINE-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE-TESTING-KIT-WR-/121108782405?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item1c32a55d45

Cheers,

Dean

S@m

You would need either a 16x1.5 or 10x1 adaptor to get a reading from either the stop light switch or pressure sender hole respectively.

Generally, if the stop light is acting up but the pressure gauge isn't (or vice versa) then the fault is electrical - so confirming the pressure with a mechanical gauge is absolutely the correct thing to do.

Edited by Sam306
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

I have got a test gauge with a 10x1 test point go go where the gauge sender fits on the alloy block. If you cover the postage and a couple of pints you can borrow it.

notamondayfan

Hi Tom that sounds great. I won't need it for a week or two yet but I'll drop you a pm once I'm ready. just gotta finish off the garage then I'll be readyto start on the car.

Cheers,

Dean