• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hudson

Mi16 Megasquirt Help Needed

hudson

Can anyone tell me wether i can use the standard mi16 tps with mega squirt if not what tps can i use to retain the standard plenum the car is used for road rallys so it needs to remain a peugeout item i also presume i can use the crank sensor and fit an air temp sensor into the airfilter side i was thinking of using a 106 one is this also ok.New to all this aftermarket engine management so any advice would be greatfully recieved

hudson

Also the unit i have bought was mapped for a zetec could this map be used as a base to get started and if it could what would i need to change to get it running i pressume the crank sensor could be different so what value would i put in to change this

Anthony

You can't use the standard 1.9 Mi16 TPS as this isn't a variable pot but instead a glorified on-off switch.

I'm not sure if there's anything off the shelf that will fit, but I made a simple bracket and adapted a GTi-6 TPS to fit when I converted an 8v (which uses the same TPS) to run Emerald. Indeed, I've got that TPS and bracket spare if you need one that you're welcome to for postage costs and a beer.

Ford use a 36-1 flywheel and Peugeot use a Motronic 60-2 flywheel - a trigger offset around 117 degrees should be in the right ballpark from memory.

Crank sensor is fine, coolant temp sensor is fine, but you'll need to buy an air temp sensor as the original Mi16 one is inside the AFM (which you'll be ditching) - plenty of other 90's Peugeot models will have something suitable. I used a GTi-6 air temp sensor for example as I had one to hand.

Anthony

Oh, and I've changed the topic title to something slightly more meaningful than "help needed"

• Like 1

pugpete1108

The sensors will need calibrating in mega squirt as they are slightly out, my clt sensor is about 10-15 degs out the what is showing in megatune.

Is that crank angle you are talking about Ant? As I'm only running 63 on my 60-2 setup.

Anthony

Actually, looking at it you're right Pete - Emerald, DTA etc are 117 degrees ish but Megasquirt appears to measure it differently.

Various suggestions for trigger settings here - worrying they're all quite different for the same flywheel though!

hudson

do you have a base map by any chance for the mega squirt i could maybe have please

pugpete1108

I could probably dig one out for my old engine (xu10j4rs) that was running well on a narrowband.

My current map is far from ideal so wouldn't offer that.

You need the whole msq or just the vex fuel table?

Edited by pugpete1108

pugpete1108

Actually, looking at it you're right Pete - Emerald, DTA etc are 117 degrees ish but Megasquirt appears to measure it differently.

Various suggestions for trigger settings here - worrying they're all quite different for the same flywheel though!

Yeah they are saying its tooth 20 under the sensor at tdc which is true but i was under the impresdion you count the second missing tooth as the first tooth ( if that makes sense??) so 21 would be under at tdc, well that's how I've done it. I'm also using timing based not trigger return as it ran like w@nk using that.

Also using a 85 deg crank angle whereas I'm only about 63-65

Edited by pugpete1108

hcmini1989

For the tps you will need to either modify one to fit or there were certain 405`s with a proper potentiometer i think graham (Pug_ham) could possibly give you a part number off one i think it was him that had one or maybe anthony above i cant remember .Your easiest solution is to fit a gti6 manifold they look like a standard plenum so would be hard for anyone to argue that it wasnt standard.

As for a base map i had a copy of one of pete`s early maps for my mi16 (1.9) and it was way out on the fueling due to his being 100cc more .Your best bet is to buy a wideband and fit a knock sensor then the megasquirt will pretty much set its self up via autotune .Then get the fine tuning done at rolling road place.

If you are completely stuck when im next at my parents i will go on my old laptop and see if i have my old map.And email to you.

hudson

Thanks for all the help guys ive hopefully sourced all the parts this week with a view to getting them all fit this weeknd then having a go at getting her running ill keep you all posted

petert

Because they may use a different tooth offset. For example, 92 deg with a tooth offset of 3 is the same as 102 deg with a tooth offset of 1. Try and keep the trigger angle as close as possible to the total advance. I use a trigger angle of 49 deg with a tooth offset of 11, a total of 115 deg.

The most important thing is to verify the software with a timing light.

Edited by petert
  • Like 1