• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adie205

[Engine_Work] Mi Rebuild From A Total Beginer, Smoking Engine

adie205

happy days, cheers mate. big sigh and grabs a beer

adie205

Far too long since I posted an update, busy at work blah blah blah but I have made a bit of progress.

Its now all fully stripped and loaded in the van ready to drop off at the machine shop on Saturday morning. It all went really well, mostly due to research from here and that wicked xu guide, a must for stripping.

Didn't find anything too scary few scratches on both outer bearings but nothing major at all, to be honest really pleased with the shape of the bottom end considering its 23 years old. the only tricky bit was getting the liners out! they didn't want to move but took it easy and slowly they came out.

Anyone reading this I would recommend always double checking the order they come out and the correct way round, nearly did me on a few occasions as easy as it sounds you must be really gay about it.

on assessment of what was causing the problems I think it was the combination of a totally knackered HG and valve stem seals as the rings look great and the liners are all the same with no scoring, but the machine shop will have their say

I have spoken to the machine shop re options, they seem big fans of 3 angle seats, decking and lighting and balancing the fly and crank but lets see how the money looks.

Fingers crossed for Saturday, think I'm going to end up a lot lighter!

Cheers

Adie

Edited by adie205
  • Like 1

adie205

So its been at the machine shop for two weeks now getting cleaned and tested, first thoughts are great. Crank has been tested to be fine so has been polished, liners are all good only a slight lip so will be getting honed. Simon says the oil ring on the pistons is gone so that might explain the smoking. Head is in good shape with only a few bits of corrosion down the channels. The stem seals were all knackered, was impressed with the bit of tool they used to get them out! took them the same time to remove them all as it did for me to get one out badly!

Just waiting for a breakdown of costs and a quote for lighting and balancing the crank/flywheel and decking

Well please so far, planning getting it decked but I wasn't aware that you have to mock the engine up to do it so this will put the project back abit but hey.

Hope to get some pictures up soon.

Cheers

Edited by adie205
  • Like 2

calvinhorse

Great thread! Enjoyed reading that :)

adie205

Staggered to see that last post date July 2013 wow where has that time gone? And that's far too long to be without my pug.

Not going to bore you all the life story but the big developments are I know have a house with a garage that's fixed up ready for the pug, hopefully this weeks it's getting moved from the shipping container to just outside my back door with power, kettle blah blah can't wait.

The engine bay is all painted up ready, all engine auxiliaries tarted up, the engines still at the machine shop - yeah taken ages but happy it was kept warm and safe whilst things have been on hold.

So game on target summer, nice to see nothing major seams to have happened in the pug world and great to still see lots of familiar names on here.

Is it me but are mi's getting sparse?

Thanks in advance for the flood of stupid questions which will follow once I pick the spanners up again

kyepan

did you deck it and get the liner seats recut so all is good protruderance wise?

Tom Fenton

Ade, offer still stands mate if you want me to help you build it.

adie205

what an offer tom, can't say no to that mate 1 million thank you's

All decked and cut so with the combo of that and tom I'm not stressing over protrudence

Cheers

benny205mi16

Hello,

Out of interest did you use Gardias engine services for the machining work?

Thanks

adie205

Hi sorry for the delay, no I used Simon at automotive services only round the corner and would highly recommend him very pleased with his work and a good deal

adie205

Have taken a leap foward

Wont bore you with the sob story but due to life getting in the way and the fact that I had left it far too long to rebuild since dismantling the engine. Looking at rebuilding it was making me go crossed eyed! Im not the sharpest tool and had completely forgotted how it came apart, yeh the manuals help massively but gaining the experience and guidance from an expert was needed.

On wednesday I loaded up the trusty berlingo with a shed full of bits, picked up Paul Higgs en route and paided the patron Saint of 205 a visit and took him up on his kind offer.

We measured it all and built the block up in a night.

A very big school day for me learnt so much, the devil is in the detail - found a whole new level of clean.

I really cant thank you enough Tom for sharing your knowledge attention to detail patience with an idiot.

We all have to start somewhere and learn from others, this is what the pug community is all about and having a bloody good laugh along the journey.

Whilst I was at Tom's I was stupid enough to let him take me out in Paul's Turbo. The only feeling I can compare it to is that of an airplane taking off, Im lucky enough to have been in some fast motors none of which compare to the bonkersness of that thing. Bit much for me but what a weapon!

Right back to the garage to get the cambelt on, engine in this week MOT at the weekend :D

See you at Pugfest.

• Like 2

Tom Fenton

Great stuff mate you are very welcome indeed. The machine shop had done all the hard work really along with you being very thorough at getting all the parts required. All I had to do was do up a few nuts and bolts really ????

Be great if you can make it to Pugfest in the car hope to see you there!