• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stu8v

Who's Doing The Best Deals? Dta S40, Omex 600 And Emerald K6

stu8v

Looking towards buying an ecu and loom in the next month or so and wondering who is doing the best deals at the moment.

Ideally I want an ecu with base map and a loom I can tailor to my particular needs.

I'm looking at the above brands as they seem to have the best reputation and mapper familiarity.

I have looked on the 2nd hand market but given the issues with 2nd hand electronics and people asking near new prices I've decided to go for a new setup as much as it pains me....

welshpug

Martin Fox, aka MEF Motorsport, does DTA and any bits and bobs you might need like comms leads, standard sensors Jenvey bits etc.

stu8v

s

Martin Fox, aka MEF Motorsport, does DTA and any bits and bobs you might need like comms leads, standard sensors Jenvey bits etc.

His ebay stuff seems expensive compared to others though, Ill google to see if he has another site.

You know if he has a base vts/gti6 map?

welshpug

Dan and myself got decent prices, Dan just rang Martin and ordered over the phone.

Ebay stuff looks to be the same price as anywhere else :unsure: either way we got it for less than that...

stu8v

Less than 500 for the dta s40 ecu everywhere i've looked.

JRE etc etc

Although looking on MEF site he is approx the same.

Where would I start by getting a base map though?

Mapping time isnt cheap so may be better value getting something more expensive but a closer starting point Omex?

Who knows?

welshpug

I'm sure someone on here can sort you something to get it fired up :)

Sandy sorted a basic startup for me and Dan, should think the same one would at least fire up for you but would need a bit more work than we would as we're on 8v.

daza4

If you want an honest opinion then i will help you out with just a different style of answer so here we go......

I bought weber alpha ecu - couldnt find anyone local to me to map it (it was old by then and had been superseded by a newer easier to map model) - a kms ecu came up for sale so i jumped on that - likewise found someone but miles away....

Moral if the story

If you have a local mapper to you or prefered person who is going to know what they are doing mapping wise (as per your quote their time is expensive) ask them what they prefer ecu wise & go for that!

For example if you were to buy a dta but the mapper prefered omex - for the £50 reduction in price for the ecu you may end up spending 2 more hours having it mapped than if the mapper was using software he was familiar with.

I hope this makes sense as i have struggled myself.

i have my car mapped by sandy now, he likes Dta, i have a dta on my car. Simples. Oh and mine also cane from mef ;)

• Like 2

chipstick

As above. I'd start the other way and first of all think who you want to map the car, and ask them what brands they prefer to use.

Batfink

You can spend more in travel costs and mapping time than you will on the physical ecu.

j_turnell

Worth giving Northampton Motorsport a call as they are Omex dealers and map cars for Pug1off so used to lots of 205's with various setups.

Batfink

Pug1off don't do mapping, they use Northampton motorsport

j_turnell

Think that's what i said isn't it...

Batfink

Sometimes I can't read

kyepan

if it's dta they come with a base map pre loaded, we started mine on that after setting up the crankshaft trigger wheel settings, and a few other bits, then wiped it by accident and started it on the 2.0l vauxhall XE base map instead, granted it needed leaning towards off a bit to run happily, but it drove.

dta swin software has a wide variety of pre loaded base maps

stu8v

if it's dta they come with a base map pre loaded, we started mine on that after setting up the crankshaft trigger wheel settings, and a few other bits, then wiped it by accident and started it on the 2.0l vauxhall XE base map instead, granted it needed leaning towards off a bit to run happily, but it drove.

dta swin software has a wide variety of pre loaded base maps

As it stands DTA is looking favorite at the moment.

The mapper reccomended it too, so it looks like a starter :-)

Next month maybe....?

daza4

Mines on order already ;) waiting for a large parcel to arrive anyday ! Good choice!

spikster

DO NOT USE NORTHAMPTON MOTORSPORT.

I took my car there, spent £600.00 and drove out with the car no further forward.

It went it for a geometry alignment, they said there was something wrong with the rear axle, I asked them to strip and inspect, they said it was the splines in the trialing arms, so they got some GTI6 ones, still had a problem.

I wouldn't take my push bike there yet alone leave them with my ECU.

BTW I am running an DTA S60 which was mapped by Steve Grenald, my car will not be going anywhere else, if you want the best, you have to travel, or settle for second best.