• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HERMAN

[Trackday_Prep] Herman's 205Gti-6

HERMAN

I thought I would do a small project thread on my car.

It is a E Reg red 205 Gti that I converted to a gti-6 a couple of years ago.

The car was given a lot of attention at that time.

This is a short list of some of the jobs done the 1st time but the main thing was I never got the car painted properly.

Xsara VTS engine and box conversion. Original engine was on it last legs when I brought it.

I repainted the engine bay (With rattle cans) not bad but not great.

I made a new engine wiring harness as I could not find a GTI,6 loom good enough and while I was at it made a custom loom for the whole front end.

The front suspension was striped,rebuilt, painted and new bolts ect.

The rear beam was scrap so another was brought and fully rebuilt with grease nipples added.

All new brake lines in Kunfer,braided flexes, Rebuilt and sealed callipers.

Battery into the boot with a fia master switch in the dash.

The body work on the car was in good condition except for a bit of bubbling on the drivers rear arch and the front panel where it joined the wing. The rot was cut out and new metal welded in.

This was were I got a bit lost with the way I wanted the car to look. I made the mistake of painting the bottom half of the passenger side and rear valance dark grey (Anthracite). This was done because I did not want to have to try to match the red when I got round to the drivers side. It looked crap in my eyes but I had done it and all I wanted to do was get it on the road and try my lovely 6 engine out. So the drivers side bottom half was done with red rattle cans. Which looked OK but it is not a great paint match and has suffered with stone chips. Serves my right for cutting corners and not getting the car painted professionally.

So after a few years using the car and doing a few track days the car is now being stripped for a full shell respray.

During this time its also getting a roll cage, Xsara vts rack, Adjustable pedal box. Flocked dash. Polly windows. Race seats and harness and any thing else the the funds allow.

Photo's to follow.

Cheers

Neil

HERMAN

P1020484_zpsaa062614.jpg

P1020479_zpse436e468.jpg

See what I mean about the 2 tone paint job.

DSCF2995_zpsa2691120.jpg

Engine bay just before I started to strip it.

DSCF2362_zps53ae978a.jpg

suspensionbits_zps1aed48ba.jpg

Suspension bits all nice and painted. I bet these will need doing again.It has got some Gaz rear shock's now and will have some Gaz coil over eventualy.

subframeandrack_zps03c7a613.jpg

Neat brake pipes or what?

Edited by HERMAN
  • Like 1

EZ Tutty

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

If you need an extra pair of hands for anything feel free to give me a shout mate!

Brake pipes are neat!... mine look like they've been bent over someones knee :-\

leemundo

The engine bay looks really neat already mate so if Thats anything to go by the rest of your work should turn out looking ace. Best of luck with it looking forward to seeing the progress

mechanicalrepairs

Looks lovely. Nice work.

Carl

BlueBolt

I can't believe how tidy those brake lines are!!! And how tidy the engine bay looks too!!

I'll be watching for more updates!!

HERMAN

The weather is a little warmer in might have to get out in the garage and do a bit.

HERMAN

Had an hour in garage last night and removed the seam sealer of the sill. Heat gun scraper and a course wire wheel on the angle grinder.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/HERMAN205/85BE6E43-7E9E-4EA3-8A04-B4F6DCCE42FE-507-000000DDFDE8C5B8_zps2e6ac54f.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/HERMAN205/C145263E-1080-40DB-9539-72B08FC084AA-507-000000DE01D7B729_zps2d9fed7a.jpg

Edited by HERMAN

S@m

Gotta love those fuel line fittings!

HERMAN

Really struggling to find any enthusiasm in this weather.

• Like 1

camgti

Engine bay looks ace mate! How di you connect the braided fuel lines to the fuel rail?

What car is the wiper from?

Cam

HERMAN

Hello Cam the fuel rail was a conversion I did my self. It involved cutting the barbed end of the rail and silver soldering (Brazing) on a couple AN-6 fittings on. I could not find any AN -6 fittings that would do the job. All I could find was the type that you would weld on to a catch tank or similar so I got AN-6 steel blanking plugs and drilled them out to the same size as the rail. I can do this for you if you want. Just send me your rail and I will do it for you. I would charge you the cost of the fittings/ return postage and little extra to cover the gas and solder.

I am not sure about the wiper linkage. I believe that it is just a single wiper conversion kit. I was already on the car when I got it. It is made by Storm if that helps.

Neil

HERMAN

Sorry Cam I forgot to mention you can get the hose and fittings from Powers on this forum and I think you get a forum discount. See his web site http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Torques-U-K

Neil

GWtaylor

Hi was the suspension powder coated or just sprayed?

HERMAN

Just spray paint. So its needs doing again now. I painted the rear beam in hammerite spray paint and that is still ok. Its just a bit expensive to do the whole lot it hammerite. I am thinking about powder coating it all this time round thought.

HERMAN

Latest update is I have a body shop lined up for the respray. I have done a deal with the guy doing it. He has a very nice ford Anglia with a Vauxhall red top engine fitted that he wants wiring up. Which is my kind of job and in return he is going to spray my car.

I just need to finish stripping it.

I plan on removing all the seal sealer under seal.

HERMAN

Been removing the old seam seal under seal this morning

C4F7E23F-E6E1-49BB-AFEC-18C86E22766A-351

7D6E1CA9-20D5-4B12-B97F-34A05393126C-351

4551DDD0-8071-4E4C-930C-A2B1B06A9864-351

1082BF96-A3DE-4B49-B13B-239B60B27D01-351

this mignt need sorting though. I am thinking sand blast and treat the rust?

FBC890B9-C5A6-4B80-B7B0-771221B5EDB1-351

Edited by HERMAN

MiniGibbo

Awesome start for a journal..!!

With the car being so clean its surprising to see that last photo..

Tom Fenton

For that last bit there was a guy on here who was selling some very good reproduction laser cut/folded repair pieces for that area, well worth the money.

• Like 1

HERMAN

cheers Tom

HERMAN

Thanks Tom set ordered.

CosKev

Looking good Neil.

Proper job removing all the crap Pug underseal.

Its terrible stuff for holding water and letting the metal rot behind it.

• Like 1

camgti

THanks so much for the offer. I will take you up on it for sure. Unfortunately Im in the middle of opening a new business and dont have and spare chase about. WHen the times right and your still up for it Ill get in touch and get it done.

Thanks Again

Cam