• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aronw2004

Sill And Panel Rust

aronw2004

Hi every one. can any one suggest the best way to tacle the rust i have uncovered. thanks

post-23300-0-52684300-1359224699_thumb.jpg

post-23300-0-56192300-1359224735_thumb.jpg

post-23300-0-42803500-1359224808_thumb.jpg

DamirGTI

If you plan on keeping the car , id inspect further and cut all rusted areas and weld up .

Possibly an rear half section of sill will need to be cut out , cleaned up and repair section welded on .

Or you can do a "patch welding" holes .. but do make sure that you clean off rusted areas as much as you can .

Damir B)

Slo

Cut out any areas of rust/rot in the sills, there's no point derusting it there as you will just be removing the steel making it thinner and in the end, within months it will just rust back through exactly the same as that. Fresh sill for my vote you can patch the rear quarter if its quite bad but make sure you stonechip the inside/rear and waxoyl the sill as it will rust again from the inside out.

ally7th

I would chop the sill off, chances are the inner sill assembly will need some work done

might as well do it all at the one time

matt.f

Looks like the quarter has been filled before to me.

As said best way is to cut it out

aronw2004

Thanks for oll the advice.

Is this quite normal for its age??, E reg

Iv been looking at it again today from the inner side behind the panle. The inner sill looks fine from here, but i can see right into the sill. How dose the rear quater panle join to the sill then? Is it welded there? if so, how do you weld the new sill to it.

There is a verry good garage nere to me, he has been building and rally preparing these pugs for many years. What would be a decent price for this sort of work.

It seems thas some work has been done to the bottom of the pillar where it meets the sill. can i get a pree-made plate to weld over this?

1 FAT PUG

you have got to think there knocking on abit now, if that was a ford there wouldnt be anything left of it.... after being a fiew years old :lol:

Edited by 1 FAT PUG

aronw2004

i know. my transit is a 57 plate and iv already had the sills and arch sorted 18 months ago!! Ridicilous!!!!!!!

aronw2004

Decided to patch the rust holes temporary for now and prime it with Kurst and Zink oxide primer. Can’t bear thinking about not to driving it at the moment, only got 7 weeks left on the tax then it will be sorn for a few months while I sort it out properly.

Also it will give me time to source some body panels.

Where is best to get them from. Can I get a pre made plate to patch the bottom of the b pillar anywhere?

post-23300-0-26185100-1359585678_thumb.jpg

post-23300-0-85660000-1359585740_thumb.jpg

• Like 1