• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Uberderv

[Engine_Work] Peugeot 205 Hdi

Uberderv

Hi all,

I have been planning this for a long time and actually started it ages ago. Due to funds and mostly a lack of time it takes me ages to get owt done. So with a buffer of a couple of years I have enough to hopefully keep people interested :-)

My 205 is a black GRDT with Gti trim, Gti suspension (base hubs) and a lovely beige interior with poverty spec dash. I like its complete lack of electrical gubbins. The original engine was an xud7t which is a non intercooled 1.8td engine. With only 70odd hp you would expect it to be a complete slug but it was suprisingly quick (in diesel terms).

I ran the engine on WVO for 50,000 miles as it had the well known Bosch pump on it. By the time I rolled it into the bat cave the engine had 180k on it and was still going strong so a real thumbs up for the Xud7t.

DSC00005-1.jpg

DSC00001-1.jpg

DSC00002-1.jpg

So its replacement engine is the DW10td common rail engine known as the 2.0l HDI. It is used in many different models/makes but the one I am using is out of a Citroen Xsara. I bought the engine off Ebay for the bargain price of £56, it came in 3 boxes as the previous owner had let his apprentice 'tinker' with it.

I set about getting things nice and clean-

Sump removed exposing the chain driven oil pump-

DSC00992.jpg

Oil pump removed to gain access to the crank/pistons-

DSC01000.jpg

You can see from the following pics that the pistons have a very special shape as the tip of the injector sits in the middle of the bowl. Fuel is injected via 5 holes in the tip of the injector using immense pressure (1350Bar)

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

Edited by Uberderv

Uberderv

So with the crank exposed I could remove the pistons and inspect the rings etc...

DSC01001.jpg

You can see from the pic below that the piston has three rings-

DSC01003.jpg

With them stripped apart and cleaned I could get the rings into the cylinder bore to measure the gaps. Everything seemed to be within spec so I made a tool to clean the cylinder bores up and got everything refitted.

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01016.jpg\

Also gave the block a good scrubbing and a lick of black paint-

DSC01019.jpg

Edited by Uberderv

Uberderv

So with the lower part of the engine all spic and span it was time to move onto the upper part. The cylinder head was stripped and cleaned ready for gasket matching to the manifolds-

DSC00551.jpgDSC00554.jpgDSC00976.jpg

DSC01030.jpgDSC01027.jpg

The exhaust manifold had a large build up of soot and also appears to be quite restrictive. A new gasket was bought and the manifold matched to it-

DSC00949.jpgDSC00954.jpg

After a session with some grinding stones and a shot blaster its looking alot better-

DSC00956.jpgDSC00957.jpgDSC00967.jpg

The same was done to the Cylinder head-

DSC00964.jpg

Once the excess aluminium was taken off to match the gasket I smoothed it back into the head. The 8v head already flows well so all thats required is gasket matching. The inlet side has a special shape to promote swirl so the same was done to that.-

DSC00980.jpgDSC00986.jpgDSC00985.jpg

Edited by Uberderv

Uberderv

More to come soon :-)

• Like 1

calvinhorse

More Now!!! :D

Has this been done before? Is it possible?

dcc

I think Hilgie put a 2.2 hdi into a 205 :)

Daviewonder

My 1.9 had a 2.0 HDI fitted when I bought it, soon whipped that out though as it had thrown its belt.

Looking forward to seeing this progress :)

rallyeash

Look forward to progress. I wanted to do this to a rolling 1600 gti shell a few years back but never did.

DaveW

Better off with a xud turbo lump surely? hdi is quite complex tho easier to tune.

Uberderv

It might be easier to put the Xud9 in because its pretty much the same engine but I have a fair bit of experience with the Hdi. The electrical side is the main area that needs adapting, the actual engine fits on the same mounts. The only things that needed 'trimming' was the rubber mount on the gear box side, the master cylinder and the exhaust down pipe.

The Hdi is just as easy to tune, 205hp is my target which is achievable with the right mods. Mr Lars Lybker has done this conversion using the 2.0 and 2.2 with brilliant results. :-)

DaveW

All about getting a good clutch that can handle the torque.

Uberderv

Yes the clutch is a tricky one, I have not decided which one to choose yet.

So, the inlet manifold is next on the list for gasket matching, it also had a connection attached to it for boost pipes. Usually an inlet elbow from a 110hp Hdi is used to fit an intercooler but due to the angle of the engine it would mean cutting a hole in the bonnet for it to fit.

So this is the elbow that is used off the 110hp. As you can see it has a smaller opening for the EGR system.

DSC00302.jpg

As you can see its quite long and has another port on it for the EGR system. So I cut the barbed section off the end and shaped it to fit into the standard manifold.

DSC00970.jpgDSC00981.jpgDSC00983.jpgDSC00982.jpg

As I dont have the equipment to weld Aluminium I used stuff called Easyweld which if used right works really well and creates a very strong bond. Fitting this onto the manifold allows me to have the boost pipe facing any direction I want which will be a big help later on.

Edited by Uberderv

Uberderv

With most of the work on that side done it was time to start rebuilding the engine. I painted the sump and got it fitted onto my rolling engine stand ready for the head.

DSC01031.jpg

New gasket- DSC01038.jpg

Head on and tightened down in the correct sequence-

DSC01035.jpgDSC01045.jpg

Now it was time to start fitting the manifolds onto the rear. You have to fit the inlet first as the bottom row of bolts sit inbetween the exhaust manifold. I sprayed the inlet in black BBQ paint which gave it a nice mat finish-

C9055.jpg

C9054.jpg

You can see in the first pic the tiny exhaust side of the turbo. It is very restrictive and will be upgraded to a VNT turbo at a later date. The turbo has been stripped and matched to the manifold, I also slightly enlarged the wastegate hole. Any casting marks were smoothed and finally it spent a good while in the shot blaster.

Finally I started to make a new intake for the turbo out of stainless-

DSC00013-1.jpgDSC00169.jpg

:-)

Edited by Uberderv

welshpug

any chance of a link to the full size pics rather than just the Thumbnail?

omega

dont you have to be a wireing god to make these run ?

welshpug

dont you have to be a wireing god to make these run ?

yeah, same as the Mi16.

Uberderv

Arrgh balls, are the pics not getting bigger when you click on them? To get the engine running you need to de-immobilise the ECU and connect up the relevant power leads etc... With it de- immobilised you dont need to use anything else except the engine loom.

The main headache is splicing it into the existing loom. I am sure your all aware what 20yr old Peugeot wiring is like...... trying to read the ID on the wires is a reet PITA :-)

Uberderv

With the manifolds etc.. back on I started to rebuild the front of the engine. Fitting the fuel pump, Alternator, oil cooler/filter coolant hoses etc was pretty straight forward. I did need a fair few bits to complete the build so it worked out cheaper to buy another tired engine for parts.

Luckily for me I knew a bloke selling one so I drove down there and picked it up-

DSC00049.jpg

Got a fair bit in the car that day as you can see :-)

Before fitting the injectors I removed the nozzles and cleaned them by removing the inner needle and forcing a strong alkaline (BBQ Cleaner) through them.

DSC00043-1.jpg

DSC00044-1.jpg

DSC00046-1.jpg

Here is the engine with most of its gubbins back on-

DSC01039.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

The last pic I was fitting a new water pump and tensioners etc.. then the belt would go on and set to the correct tension. Next on the list is to tackle the wiring.....

danboo89

Looking good. What have you done with the old TD engine ? I'm currently after either a 1.8

D or TD engine cheers.

Uberderv

Sorry mate I just kept a few bits off it and scrapped the rest.

kyepan

excellent thread, good work, look forward to seeing more!

johniban

looking goood, you will be very lucky if them injectors will work tho, your not ment to take them apart on the 2.0 hdi engine

welshpug

why not? :lol: there's lots of stuff you're not "meant to" take apart...

how do you think they are remanufactured? :D

Uberderv

I am with Welshpug, I am not meant to stick a HDI into a 205 either :-)

The nozzle is the least complex bit, its precision made with five 0.15 micron injection orifices and a matched needle but all I am doing is flushing them out.

I think the upper part should be left well alone.