• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

JamesE

So How Do I Change Door Glass?

JamesE

I've done a search and Ive read the Haynes manual but I'm concerned as to how I actually remove the glass.

I need to change mechanisms and glass.

I undo the bolts on the door but then how do I actually remove the glass from the mechanism? I've read threads that suggest using a screwdriver but how is the glass actually fixed to the mechanism?

I really don't want to be stuck without glass in the door!

Cheers in advance.

Baz

Undo bolts and push mechanism into the door, slide the rollers out of the windows sliders which should be pretty easy & withdraw the mech out of the bottom hole of the door, then drop the window into the door, remove the window rubber(s) and pull the window back up into it's aperture whilst slightly twisting it and it'll come out.

It'll all become clear as you do it I'm sure.

GLPoomobile

From memory, at the base of the window pane there are two metal brackets that are bonded to the glass. These bolt to the mechanism. All will be clear once you get in to the door and have a play, believe me.

It can take a bit of farting about. Once you've got the brackets released you need to drop the mechanism down and try to lift the glass free and ease it out upwards, angling it away from the door frame as you pull it out the top of the door. I think you need to release the guides as well, to help things along, and these are just bolted to the door skin (again, it's obvious).

Been a few years since I've done it mind.

Simes

Have a bit of 1x1 handy to act as a prop inside the door, kind of like your third hand.

GLPoomobile

That's a good point Simes. I duck taped the glass in place (all around the window frame) whilst I was working on the mechanism, and then pulled the tape away once I was ready to lift the glass out.

Baz

You mean duct tape!! :P

Edited by Baz

Henry Yorke

It is pretty easy.

There is a metal channel at the bottom of the glass. The mechanism has two rollers that go in this that work in a scissor style movement.

$(KGrHqR,!pgE7BcvjGEHBO1mkfnTgQ~~60_12.J

Unbolt the mechanism from the door frame and the rollers can be slid from the channel. Be careful the glass does not just drop.

Lower glass into the door

Remove the rubber from the bottom of the window frame.

Push glass up and at an angle and it should just lift out of the door frame from the outside of the car

BlueBolt

The trouble comes when you're putting it back together in my experience recently. If the metal channel that the window sits in is too tightly shut then the window won't go into it. If its too loose, the window won't lower with it when you're using the new mechanism to lower it.

Also, make sure you get it in the right place as else the rollers will come out of it when lowering or raising the glass.

My channel that the window sits in on my drivers window was very corroded!! This has caused me no end of problems with the above, and as a result I will now be using some tiger seal to attach the glass into place!!

GLPoomobile

You mean duct tape!! :P

No no. I couldn't afford any of that at the time. So I got duck tape from a pound shop. Not sure what it was made of though :unsure:

JamesE

Thanks for all the replies - lol took me about 90 mins as I was very thorough cleaning and regreasing everything that moved.

Something I was dreading and wasn't actually that bad. Think my main concern was from not being able to see how it worked untl I'd committed myself!!!

To anyone considering doing it, it's pretty straight forward and Im a bit inept with a spanner :D

• Like 1

Ryaner
On 1/19/2013 at 8:57 PM, Baz said:

Undo bolts and push mechanism into the door, slide the rollers out of the windows sliders which should be pretty easy & withdraw the mech out of the bottom hole of the door, then drop the window into the door, remove the window rubber(s) and pull the window back up into it's aperture whilst slightly twisting it and it'll come out.

It'll all become clear as you do it I'm sure.

Hi all - I’m trying to remove glass. Electric window fully up with duct tape in place, all nuts off and the circled bolts are not moving - almost feels like they are somehow fixed from other side. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Ryaner
14 minutes ago, Ryaner said:

Hi all - I’m trying to remove glass. Electric window fully up with duct tape in place, all nuts off and the circled bolts are not moving - almost feels like they are somehow fixed from other side. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Just managed to get passenger side out with tips from an earlier post reply. Thanks