• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Help In Setting Up Emerald For Cold Starts

feb

Hi guys,

It seems like the Emerald is not working correctly for cold starts and I have to crank the car 5 times before it starts.

I then have to keep my foot on the gas for 1.5-2 mins before the car is able to idle by itself.

I am aware that without a SAD or ICV I can't expect miracles but the above process is cumbersome and means my wife will not use the car.

Could someome from this forum help me set it up or do you recommend any garage (that won't charge a fortune) where I can leave the car for a few days or a week to sort this out?

I don't expect free work, we can sort something out. Btw, the car is in UK.

Cheers!

Edited by feb

Anthony

Where in the UK is it? Still down with Miles or over in Reading?

The issue is that it is relying on the Emerald idle stablisation to allow it to idle from cold, and for some reason, that wasn't kicking in when I had a quick look when I was over in Germany. The usual reason is that the TPS values aren't correct, but that looked to be alright so it wasn't clear why it wasn't working.

If it's nearish me and I can have the car for a period of time then I'm happy to have a proper look and see what's going on. With that sorted and working, the car starts and idles fine, as it did when you picked it up from me the first time :)

feb

Yes, the car is in Reading.

I remember when I first picked it up from you, you had set it up well and it started on the first attempt but somehow the Emerald is not "listening" anymore. Not sure why.

Once it has started and after warming it up for 1.5-2 mins is fine. Also warm idle is perfect.

I'll check with the "boss" and PM you.

Your help is much appreciated Anthony! :)

Edited by feb

chipstick

...means my wife will not use the car.

borat.jpg

• Like 3

feb

LOL!

I'd rather she uses the 205 than the Forester ;)

Simes

I've not done mine - I did start but I never have enough time to spend on the car over successive cold days. I have all these grand plans of recording the changes on the Emerald when I make them as noted in the instructions but well.......................

When it was on the GTI-6 plenum with ICV it was far worse cold.

I get around it by (not driving this car) holding the throttle down for a bit and with a bit of hand brake / riding clutch etc it warms up quite quickly and is fine, i don't have an ICV.

I suppose you could say a bit like driving a standard 8v with badly set up SAD!! :D

My wife has driven it in an emergency but when the temps are below 5deg and it's sat there for a month it is a bit of a pain.