• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
opticaltrigger

8V Megasquirt Tps And Stuff

opticaltrigger

Hi guys,It's my first day over here in "aftermaret engine managment" but it seemed like the right place to put this.We have a project thread over in "trackdays and race prep" and are just starting to get to grips with the MS2 instalation.

I have never worked with this system before and would realy like to ask you guys that have for some advise on a few maters.

I have done some searching but I just cannot find a definitive answer on the matter of the TPS sensor which is required to be mounted on the 8v XU9JA throtle body.

Does anbody know ?, Is there a TPS out there which directly fits on in place of the factory throtle switch and what is it ? Or is it a case that you have to make somthing fit and if thats the case what is considered the TPS of choice ?

Also guys I need to ask, with regards to the coolant temp sensor.Can the original Jetronic (blue plug) coolant temp sensor be used ?

And what is considered the done thing with the sensor for intake air temprature, i.e. what sensor do people like for this and where is considered the best location for it ?

Any thoughts on this would be great

All the very best

O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger

welshpug

TPS:

Aa standard ZX 1.9 8v volcane unit can be used, as can the 405 1.9 SRI and the BX GTi, all three and likely a few more used the same throttle body with a full potentiometer rather than a two position microswitch.

from memory the spindle was shorter on these engines but otherwise the same, a little trimming to its length and the TPS should fit fine.

CTS: the blue two pin bosch unit is quite a commonly used one for aftermarket ECU systems, also happens to have the same resistance range as the later Jaeger produced green temp sender.

IAT: similarly a bosch item is one I have seen used, the one on my ZX volcane MP3.1 inlet pipe is a screw in item that I have seen again used with aftermarket systems as its fairly easy to integrate, location is typically between the filter and throttle body, however if you are running forced induction its probably wiser to read directly from the intake plenum.

After all that though, it doesn't matter one bit what you use if you can program the ecu to see what resistances/voltage it should see and what temperatures those parameters occur.

Anthony

Aa standard ZX 1.9 8v volcane unit can be used, as can the 405 1.9 SRI and the BX GTi, all three and likely a few more used the same throttle body with a full potentiometer rather than a two position microswitch.

It needs to be later 405 SRi / BX GTi with MP3.1 management - earlier ones with Jetronic use the same TPS as you've already got.

opticaltrigger

Oh thats great Welshpug,what more could I ask for.Thanks very much mate I now know exactly what I need to get for it.

It is turbocharged so I will take the manifold off and thread it for the sensor

The part thats puting me off to be honest is having to unwrap the exhaust manifold to weld the lambda boss in.I just cant stand that stuff, itches for days.

Thanks again, and all the best

O.T.

opticaltrigger

Thanks Anthony, just got that I will keep it in mind when I go for a trawl through ebay.Saying that it might prove to be easier just to go to my local parts factor and try to pin down some part numbers for it all.

All the same thanks for all that guys

O.T.

pugpete1108

The ms units can be programmed to run any air or coolant sensor (it's a bit of a faff but can be done) mine seems to run fine using std pug items tho

Tps: I'm using a std gti6 but then I'm using a gti6 engine so can't really comment but it just needs to be a three wire potentiometer as its calibrated during setup of in megatune.

Edited by pugpete1108