• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Jemehan

205 Fuel Pump Choices

Jemehan

Hey guys, i was just wondering, those of you who have track cars, Did you uprate your fuel pump?

What kind of pressure in a fuel pump is good to use (normal pumps on 205s i believe run at 3 bar) and what is excessive and possibly cause damage?

Baz

Walbro 255

• Like 1

mang

Walbro 255 I have two :-)

allanallen

I run a walbro 255 as well. Standard pump will run higher than 3bar, it's the pressure reg that reduces it to that. That in turn means you can't really have to much pressure unless your regulators knackered.

The pump doesn't really need upgrading as such even in a high powered car, it's the fuel surge that causes problems. Most folk use the standard pump as a lift pump to a swirl pot and then an in line external pump from the pot to the engine.

Al

chipstick

I run a walbro 255 as well. Standard pump will run higher than 3bar, it's the pressure reg that reduces it to that. That in turn means you can't really have to much pressure unless your regulators knackered.

The pump doesn't really need upgrading as such even in a high powered car, it's the fuel surge that causes problems. Most folk use the standard pump as a lift pump to a swirl pot and then an in line external pump from the pot to the engine.

Al

I think I am going to have to explore this avenue. Was a shock when I got down to roughly half a tank on track and hit a brick wall when the fuel wasn't being picked up for a split second.

allanallen

I think I am going to have to explore this avenue. Was a shock when I got down to roughly half a tank on track and hit a brick wall when the fuel wasn't being picked up for a split second.

Yeah it's s*it, some cars do it worse than others. I'm sure I've read in the past that later tank/pump combos are better but I've no experience of this myself.

Anthony

Seems to be very random in my experience, rather than an early/late thing.

Good example is me and a friend both had '89 Phase 1.5 205's. Mine was happily lapping with less than 1/4 tank (light coming on) with no surge, whereas hers would start to starve with still 7/8 of a tank showing on the guage (which is probably about 3/4 in reality). Both cases with me driving, so similar speed/style etc.

One other thing worth pointing out is that some fuel pumps, particularly Phase 2 ones, seem to suffer with age/mileage and flow considerably less than an apparently identical one. Not usually an issue on an 8v, but often very evident on even a standard 16v conversion, let alone a tuned one.

mang

Walbro 255 I have two :-)

With a swirl pot because mine was getting fuel surge bad :-)

welshpug

Agreed with Anthony, mine would lap Llandow on the orange light without issue!

I checked with Sandy what they would flow and its high 200's, however as mentioned surge becomes an issue before flow.

Baz

Dan Taylor & have been discussing this recently, he thinks earlier pump/tank combos are the best, i always thought it was later ones but never had a problem as long ans the tank matches the pump & vice-versa!

Had an issue in a '92 car at a trackday at Cadwell a few years ago where i had starvation with anything under half a tank, which turned out to be just a load of crap in the bottom of the tank, so i guess this can be an issue too!

chipstick

Mines an '89 and the half tank rule is exactly what I experienced. Was fine until it got to about half a tank and that's when I experienced it. Had a word with wes205mi in the paddock and he mentioned fuel starvation at around that mark. I think I only popped 10L and when I went back out it was fine until it got to about half way again. I should give the tank a clean out perhaps and see what crud resides in there.

Para

How is this Walbro 255 pump in comaprison with standard GTI one ? Will I notice the difference ? Will the car use more petrol ?

• Like 1

allanallen

How is this Walbro 255 pump in comaprison with standard GTI one ? Will I notice the difference ? Will the car use more petrol ?

You'll notice no difference in performance or mpg If you simply swap the pump

Para

So where is the point of this upgrade ?

dcc

25yr old dieing fuel pump vs 6 month old new item.

• Like 2

Para

You can still buy new Bosch fuel pumps for our cars... .

allanallen

So where is the point of this upgrade ?

I use a fabricated tank with a sump so I need to use an external pump. Other people, as they've mentioned use them along with a swirl pot to cure fuel surge.

Baz

You can still buy new Bosch fuel pumps for our cars... .

And how much are they??!

welshpug

http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/uploads/130_Fuel%20Injection%20Pump%20Application%20List%202013.pdf

looking on there, if the original pump is a Bosch 0580 310 015 or 003, ITP 328 is the Hi Pump kit, ITP246 is the FSE "motorsport upgrade"

I believe this is phase 1

if its 0580 464 993, they don't list anything, which afaik is the phase2.

if you're building a fuel system running an external pump then something as used by the 405 would be suitable for rubber hoses, 0580 464 070, OTP017 or FP603.

amusingly if you need a 405 one, you can get it from a dealer still for the same price as aftermarket, £55!

Edited by welshpug
  • Like 2

Matteo

So, no Walbro replacement pump is available for phase 2 Bosch 0580 464 993 ? :unsure:

welshpug

on the Glencoe listing yeah.

however having the part number of the bare unit now it should be easier to find a replacement.

found a Peugeot Citroen part number for it but its not recognised on either serviceboxes.

for the earlier one its:

96 182 650 99 00 055 000 1450 97 96 103 453 1455 09 96 1082 650 96 103 45180 96 103 45380

Anthony

There's definitely a Walbro that'll fit in a Phase 2 pump housing, as I had one on one of my previous 205's - the receipts went with the car though, so can't say which model it was.

Jemehan

I have just received one today for my ph2. Looks like a little wiring to work out on top of the pump, but you can take all the components from the Bosch one and fits straight on the walbro. I got a walbro gss342, advertised for mr2 but they all seemed the same so I got this one, ill be fitting it in a bit...

Para

And how the fitting went ? Did you had much work ? Is it working fine for you now ?

mastakilla

Just today I have fitted a walbro 255hp in my ph1 1.9

fitting it has been not so straightforward as I had to saw away the inlet of the canister, make a hole where it previously was and let the outlet tube of the pump pass through it.

whatever the kit you buy with these pumps I don't think you will be ever able to just drop them in place of the original bosch unit as the bosch has the outlet in the middle while walbros have it offset.

the pump ran fine, quiet and no fuel surges as I was experiencing before, then died in the middle of nowhere, but it was due to a faulty alternator ...I'll let you know how it goes in the long run