• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[Misc_Work] My New Ride - Goodwood With Lots Of Cylinders!

allye

Pipe down Daniel. Finally got around to doing a update from pester from some guy in Lyme Regis!

So, where to start, I returned to the UK 4 weeks ago now, had 6 complete days spare which I thought would be plenty.....ha!

First job was to fit the rebuilt beam I had picked up from Roon, he assures me it has had new shafts as well as the normal rebuild, albeit with a dodgy paint job! I also fitted a BBM solid mounting kit as I'd heard nothing but good reports about them. Getting the old bushes out was a arse. Oh and the sandwich mount! Slight scary.... I ended up killing one stub axel, then one damper bolt wouldn't budge no matter what so I had to pop down to Miles to get those two for the new beam, new bearings also went on - wow they are pricey.

IMG_3719_zpsdb767692.jpg

IMG_3720_zps1296c89e.jpg

IMG_3721_zps1ac90391.jpg

IMG_3722_zps26993785.jpg

IMG_3726_zps496ea0e1.jpg

allye

Onto the clutch system, out with the old cable operated arm that compressed a master cylinder which in turn operated the slave and clutch. With pictorial help from thirdtimelucky's build and some advice from Goliath I made a hydraulic pedal box. Actually quite simple, I used a 206 GTI master cylinder as it bolts to the box not like the 406 one which pushes and turns in. I cut the push rod down, tapped a thread in the end and fitted a rose joint that could be simply bolted to the pedal. After it was fitted and tried I paint it and sealed up the inside. After replacing the cracker master cylinder and making up my own copper hydraulic line P clipped to the bulkhead I finally got to try it yesterday, nice and light with good travel! So stoked for that.

IMG_3728_zps61314438.jpg

IMG_3730_zps93f74d53.jpg

IMG_3731_zps9446657a.jpg

IMG_3733_zps31aeb131.jpg

IMG_3734_zpsef458253.jpg

IMG_3744_zpsd340c355.jpg

IMG_3745_zpsa04d0f11.jpg

allye

Timing belt, what a s*it of a job, put aside the fact the kit retails at near £300, the space is actually pretty good being only 3 cylinders wide. Timing it up, wow, forget a 16v, this is a entire new level of 1 crank pulley, 1 water pump, 3 idlers and 4 fully adjustable camshaft pulleys. One of my pulleys was cracked so had to order another one of those which pushed the job back. Got it finally all back together with a new water pump and its running now.

The pulleys are secured with 4 bolts tightened to just 10nm so I would say someone previously has over tightened them and cracked the pulley. Not many photos, I was too busy/head scratching.

IMG_3754_zps51b4e901.jpg

IMG_3723_zpsa7087d55.jpg

allye

From there, I thought I would give the front panel a wire wheel and treat the "surface rust" haha....

IMG_3738_zpsf4dd8034.jpg

Same on both side just where that radiator support had been welded to the panel, out all the rot came, I decided to get a bit of box section, weld some mounts onto it and replace the entire things, zero rot and super strong. Returning it to factory can be a job for another day. I kurust'd it all, zince primer and a few coats of good old hammerite, which to be fair does a decent job if you don't knock it about.

IMG_3737_zps1930ce85.jpg

IMG_3741_zps8565b1b1.jpg

IMG_3739_zps6a3eddc0.jpg

IMG_3746_zpsdffd18fa.jpg

IMG_3749_zpsfc3645ad.jpg

There is a radiator support bracket that attaches to the box section which cannot be seen here, but I had it powder coated. Also note the new twin fans to replace to old one.

IMG_3756_zps4b2c9339.jpg

IMG_3747_zpsd175bbaa.jpg

On the subject of surface rust, after the "hub cracked-wish bone jumping out-wheel being pushed up into arch" episode the metal in the arch had been pulled off the end of the sill, as it turned out it wasnt welded on just a lot of seem sealer, so after removing all that I pulled the metal back into place and filled it with seem sealer, zinc primer, and I'm yet to coat with stone chip. I did the other side to fill in the mud flap holes, asking for trouble with those.

IMG_3740_zpsb2cc004e.jpg

IMG_3742_zpsfd859c9c.jpg

Edited by allye

allye

Up next, the new sexy rose jointed wishbones, the ones that came off where perfectly good and poly bushed so that felt a bit wrong! I wound them all the way in to start with, resulting in a small amount of positive camber, I have wound them out slightly using a camber level to help and they need to go a little further but are looking good. Please ignore the 6month rusty discs and calipers in dire need of a refurbish!

IMG_3752_zps5c0b5b13.jpg

IMG_3770_zps5fe978b8.jpg

Then finally got the engine bay all back together with the powder coated slam panel and lots of new zinc plated fasteners, a theme which might have to carry on.

IMG_3758_zps4fa4c922.jpg

Then! Having a poke around on the ramp.....its a 309, the tank hasn't been dropped that I know off.......

IMG_3776_zps9f900c03.jpg

Job for next week, strange as the other side is rock solid, as is the rest of the car generally.

IMG_3777_zps1cc5e1a1.jpg

Just when I though that would be it, I notice this. Really weird as its a tiny hole surrounded by solid metal, why would you not just weld it rather than a shonky sealed on plate!

IMG_3768_zps6f97ec3b.jpg

Up to date. To conclude! Next week the list is;

-finish camber and tracking

-drop tank tank, wire wheel, weld, rust treat and paint

-put interior back together

-service including re-sealing the sump

-run it all in and spanner check

-MOT

Easy......

• Like 1

allye

Got the tank out without too much hassle. Wire wheeled any surface rust and prepped the sill for welding tomorrow. Everywhere else is solid. Strange one sill has gone and not the other.

th_7d24b26255c25b6a922ff9c8b200df59_zps5

th_360e5fae5e6424b6cae2e3c00623ffe3_zps2

I'm not one to poo poo peoples work but really?

th_bf3545d009d00fd6a2d787b4187e93f6_zps8

hoodygoodwood

Sadly the inner sills by the fuel tank is one of those areas where they really do all rust , you don't seem to have suffered too badly though .On my Goodwood one side was ok and one needed welding , remove the underseal / mastic all around that area - you will be surprised how far the rot can travel out of sight .When you weld it watch out for the underseal catching fire and flames licking at your paintwork ! Have someone standing by with a water spray .

There are some perfectly sited grommets in the end of the sill which you can remove so you can spray some cavity wax in once you are done .

allye

Indeed they do! My last 309 diesel was the same. As you can see I chopped down quite far to get rid of it all. I will chuck some wax down there when done.

Edited by allye

allye

All done!

th_609c60df6c7980f0e8458fe155e2060d_zpsc

A few good coats of underseal, also out in a blind rivet and p clipped the brake lines as I have a personal hatred for the plastic clips. Wire wheeled any other surface rust under the tank and painted it too.

th_1a36d1626325d2d61066887183328655_zps8

And welded up the strange holes in the panel by the strut, really odd as they looked like they had been made.

th_d5059344d42ff4bc57721499d09dea33_zps3

Edited by allye

allye

Couple hours on it today. Got my new solid fuel lines in with stainless p clips, stainless bolts, nuts and washers. Gave the brake lines the stainless treatment too.

Out with the old lines that had gone hard

th_9737b319a19fa507c36809e53714900b_zps6

8mm ID copper line and all the stainless fixings. As I had the tank out last week new rubber lines were put on.

th_543512943e8602c24dcb876dc6149254_zps5

And then I did the brake lines.

th_8caf118dae007159fde790be4586c4f5_zps1

stef205

watch out ali the copper police are going to get you. :P

• Like 1

allye

Since last update I've just spent my time breaking clutch master cylinders! Now I have finished Mk6 and it's working very well. Other things is I fitted a bucket seat, reason being is at 6'6' I was too far forward and too high so this solved it, and I love bucket seats haha. Nut and bolt checks, tyre pressures etc etc all done. 3 weeks before I leave for New Zealand for the winter, oh well it will be sorted for next summer.

298cf9f9e0ac3d7fc94f450ab3256a55_zps39dd

84b3847ebb15eb4f020dd90bbe8bb9da_zps85e4

allye

Been driving the Goodwood daily since i got back into the UK! All the work I did last summer (and not driving it) meant its been turn key and go. Gave it a wash and wax recently.

IMG_0638_zpstuf095cm.jpg
IMG_0642_zpsgj1olu0f.jpg

As I've been doing more miles than I've ever done before, operation make it comfy started. Fully stripped the interior, wire wheels some surface rust, treated it then primed it, gave it a good few coats. The floor is really in great condition.

IMG_5559_zpsd2lllqwn.jpg

IMG_5560_zpsradf0esa.jpg

allye

Unfortunatly the sunroof leaked over the winter, not massively but the passenger sound proofing was wet so I removed the sub frame bolts, wire wheeled and copper greased for a bit of preventative maintainence.

IMG_5561_zpspzfpxfxm.jpg

As the interior was stripped now was the time to fully replace the speaker wiring and mount all the speakers on some rattle mat type sound proofing material, no speaker rattle now. These are obviusly templates I made. Average JVC's in the rear and some Pioneers up front, sound is massively improved now.

IMG_5562_zpsvjtblwyb.jpg

IMG_5563_zpsy4sfqhyx.jpg

Standard speaker mounting holes enlarged so I used these little jobs. (notice generous waxoiling)

IMG_5566_zpsazxlcsts.jpg

allye

Had to remove a load of waxoil and clean the skins with brake cleaner so the sound deadning would stick! Then sealed up the front doors to stop the moisture creeping through.

IMG_5564_zpsvogy0of8.jpg

IMG_5567_zpsivh0iugc.jpg

Cover the floor, bulkhead to boot in the sound deadning material, thicker stuff on the exhaust tunnel, a seam roller is a absolute must for this job.

IMG_5570_zps2srezzp8.jpg

6mm insulation underneath the carpet and factory insulation.

IMG_5568_zpsgevl11q4.jpg

IMG_5569_zpsrklbu9ax.jpg

Removed the boot lining carpet, some deadning behind the that on the wheel tubs. Contact adhesive to put it back on.

IMG_5571_zpsp6f3dvxw.jpg

allye

Carpet back in, note the lines cut in the deadning so it could get complete contact stickiness!

IMG_5573_zpslgfzdnaf.jpg

I layed one layer of 6mm insulation in the boot to go under the seats to meet the front. Then double up the insulation just in the boot with the carpet on top secured with the plastic trees.

IMG_5574_zpskl1zzyun.jpg

Interior back in!

IMG_5575_zpsvl6z8nrq.jpg

Difference is brilliant, stereo is 10x better, noise you get now is wind noise and a bit of trim rattle, will try to sort the trim noise bit by bit!

Simes

Sounds like it was worth it.

I got as far as dynamat'ing my doors, looks like I'll have to do the rest!

allye

Dynamat is proper expensive! I did the entire lot for around £100. I found the doors a right pig to do due to access, as the doors were thoroughly wax oiled as well I only put in one sheet of around 40x50 to give the door skin some weight.

chipstick

Looking good Ali. So are you keeping it now?

Flashing tape is a fraction of the price of Dynamat.

Edited by chipstick

stef205

can you feel the difference through the floor with your sandals on?

• Like 1

allye

Haha, do one Stef! I don't even wear sandals.

Yer keeping it Dan, I'll just eat dried bread and water for a while!

Edited by allye
  • Like 1

allye

Been looking for some 16's to fit but these came up for sale so just had to! Cars been faultless this summer, pugfest was a good day out too.

a4cb4aa522ae8b3ed933aa5c4372ce69_zpsobss

calvinhorse

My 309 felt s*it on 17s and my 405 felt s*it on 16s stick to 15s dude

Ronal turbos look cool as fook :)

Edited by calvinhorse
  • Like 1

Kev-G

a4cb4aa522ae8b3ed933aa5c4372ce69_zpsobss

Prefer the previous wheels TBH.

Looks to be sitting a little arse down?

LOADS of Waxoyl went into that....Only thing I didn't do was drop the tank. Must be around 15 years ago now!!

allye

Cheers kev!

Yer it's parked on a hill there hence the rears up in the arch. Don't worry I've had the tank off and done a bit of wire wheeling and painting. Going to do the entire underside next year properly.