• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[Misc_Work] My New Ride - Goodwood With Lots Of Cylinders!

rallyeash

Would of thought so. Prob redhorn hill nr lavington

allye

10 points to Mr.Ash! That's as close to Salisbury Plain its going though.

It gets down the road like nothing I have driven before, any gear, any speed, any RPM its goes and goes. I though GTI6's had torque, ha!

allye

Popped down to Torque Techniques exhausts in Salisbury today, tops blokes who do a cracking job! As it has a complete custom system on it a off the shelf item would be very hard to come by so I had a stainless one made. Much, much better! I had the largest silencer he could fit in there;

Before

DSCF0404_zps96b5c156.jpg

Now, discreet.

DSCF0415_zpsfc7c03e1.jpg

DSCF0414_zpsaf10570f.jpg

Edited by allye
  • Like 2

Anthony

Looks much better with the subtle understated tailpipe :D

rallyeash

Nice one. That's who made mine up from scratch. Good setup at TT

allye

Yer really nice garage, he's done some impressive stuff there. When I feel like spunking a load more money I might have him make me a new downpipe to get rid of the restrictive item on the V6.

welshpug

certainly would be interesting to see a before and after if possible, I know AdamB has a graph for the stock V6 in a 306 with the factory 306 exhaust system adapted to bolt up to the 406 downpipes, his made 202/202 bhp/lbft :D

any chance of a sound clip?

Edited by welshpug

allye

I'll see if I can get a clip.

Also forgot to mention, yesterday I wipped off the wheels and had the rear spacers turned down 4mm (2mm either side) as the tyres were catching just on the outside of the wall, now its all perfect.

DaveW

Im fairly sure the 1.9 alloy centre caps, will fit into the centres of those alloys ;)

allye

You reckon? they are large caps, I measured them to be 69mm, so if someone could measure a 205 cap that would be lovely!

Just having a poke around, 205 items are 65mm so too small.

Edited by allye

allye

So for the last few weeks I have been popping home on my days off, (one day a week half the time <_< ) to sort out a few niggles with the car. Bassically after the hub incident;

DSCF0433_zps309a89d9.jpg

The car never felt quite right, the top mount on the suspension went very badly too. So it had a clunking driveshaft and vague steering :( Oh and the ride was just awful. So first things first was to sort the ride out, it had adjustable konis, which in themselves are fine but also these puppies.

IMG_1876_zpsf792d7ac.jpg

IMG_1878_zps173f76b3.jpg

I didn't need the compressors to get them out...... :o Safe to say they are in the scrap now metal now. I have replaces the shocks with some Skip brown Bilstein items supplied by my local parts depo (read Athony) Couple with some standard volcane springs and new top mounts the ride is a million times better and I dont have to avoid every little hole now which is nice.

IMG_1880_zps621257ce.jpg

IMG_1899_zpsf01e782c.jpg

I also replaces the 306 hubs that were on the car with some 205/309 items, new bearings, new TRE's and did the tracking. The offside driveshaft that had imploded in the hub accident was rebuilt with a good 2nd hand unit, I changed over the cups and bearings, new grease and job jobbed.

IMG_1883_zpsf6741627.jpg

All is well on the front end! So I moved onto the rear, quickly remove the rear shock i though, ha! Few hours of swearing later.....

IMG_1901_zps6e4c4276.jpg

The new bilstein items (also supplied by Anthony!) are copper greased up nicely. I had intended on raising the rear however after a quick analysis I decided against it as it looked like it wasn't going to happen, judging by the fight I had with the shocks I think that was a wise move, a rebuilt beam is on the cards shortly.

So this is how she is looking now, ready for sunday just in need of another clean. The 75miles home tonight across Wiltshire and Dorset B roads was rather fun and absolute joy now its all sorted :D

IMG_1902_zpsbd16bb60.jpg

• Like 2

Kev-G

Sods law btw, it appears nobody makes a diff any more so an used quaife unicorn poo type unit is required, or roughly £1200 for grippper to make a one off. Unless there is a non uk factory lsd used, which appears to be the case for the be boxes, not shown for us lot as it seems the country chosen does more than alter currency shown.

After Jeram built this I had a plan for a V6 + bought a 306 GTi-6 with a sick engine and a Quaife when they did a deal on them....Unfortunately I sold the diff. last year.

:(

Just got an email through with this photo, I have a rod on.

DSCF9293_zpsae6850d7.jpg

Also just arrived in the UK, so fitting them tomorrow.

Missed the updates on this - That's not the wheels I had thought they were from your avatar....V. nice.

I am on my second downpipe Al, not bad for three years of use :)

Love the wheels. Glad you love the torque :D

That car has done literally nothing since re-build....It's actually sat around the majority of it's life. I would bet that downpipe's only done about 3K if you are lucky.

Edited by Kev-G

Anthony

Glad that you managed to get it all together Ali and that the new suspension is an improvement.

The springs (OE Citreon ZX 1.9i Volcane btw) look like they sit something close to standard 309 height with the weight of the boat anchor, and should look basically standard (other than the wheels) once you've got the beam raised up to match.... quite the wolf in sheeps clothing :D

Give me a shout if you need help with the beam side of things.

welshpug

should be brilliant with the beam back up a bit :D

allye

The down pipe has a few speedbump scars, still solid though and with the better ride height should stand a chance now!

The ride really is loads better and Loking forward to getting the beam done. I will give you a about soon Anthony for a rebuilt item, prob come up And fit it too if poss.

allye

So its been parked up for about 4weeks while I try to fix the ongoing saga of the clutch problem.

At pugfest a couple of you may remember my clutch cable clip snapping off due to the heavy clutch on the car, so I replaced the cable and then the master cylinder was leaking so a new one of those. Then there was no way to bleed the system as the slave cylinder had no bleed nipple on it, so a new one of those from a lter V6 with the bleed nipple, different fitting so go to scrap yard to get fitting and have it brazed onto the banjo of the braided hose that goes to the master. Job done today and it all works.

For about 30mins when the cable snaps again, I can only assume the clutch was too heavy and maybe it was routed too near the exhaust. Plan now, fit another cable and try and limp it home as I fly to Australia next week......

Joy.

welshpug

just drive it without a clutch pedal, its very easy and wont be a problem with the starter motor these have and the torque!

allye

thats the plan if the cable doesnt arrive in time.

allye

Any idea on why the clutch is so heavy? heavier than it was previously. Would air in the system make it heavy?

Edited by allye

welshpug

air would make it spongy, heaviness is either one of the pivots binding or the cable stiff if is heaver than it used to be.

Miles

Depends on the leverage of the converter, Mine used a long arm and the clutch was dead light, More Ford like than Pug like, Took a few goes to get the ratio right thou

DC2T

Looks very nice that mate

allye

So I ended up driving it 75miles with no clutch, left it till 10pm so it was a ok journey as it turned out. Still unsure as to why the clutch became massively heavy after fitting the new slave cylinder. I did read they can stick or become heavy after being sat for a while? It also has a uprated clutch of some sort to confuse things further. I'll be putting a complete hydraulic system on there upod my return to the UK in March. On that note here she is laid up for the winter. I was hoping to find some dry storage but I ended up leaving the UK much sooner than planned (booking the flights days in advance!)

0b2a1450-06e0-4c79-823a-ad8fc2f14e52_zps

I already have a couple quotes for a complete exhaust system including manifolds so that is certanily on the cards, also I plan to put a D9 V6 (possibly a clio V6) in next year, recommended by the 406coupeclub, I will replace the exhaust cams with those from the earlier engine and get rid of the VVT. Some stand alone management and a adapter to fit the D8 throttle body will go on. This gets rid of the fly by wire throttle of the later engines.

So that's the plan, I would like to see 250bhp and similar torque out of it, limiting factor being the throttle body.

will1991

The car is stunning, and looks set to be fairly rapid too!