• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B11 BOB

Emerald K6 Ecu

B11 BOB

Im in the market to purchasing a supermarket ECU after having a look ať what on offer have decided that the Emerald K6 seems to be the best oné to get.It has so many features in comparssion to the Omex 600/710, DTA Ecu's it seems like a no brainer to choose the Emerald K6 and its also věry resonable ať £595 plus vát with a 5% discount for fórum members.

There seems to be a preference to čertain ecu brand when getting the čar mapped but most tuners can map a Emerald.

Has anyone on here fitted a Emerald K 6 if so what do they think of it and would you recommend it for mě.I would like peoples opinions veiws on it before i purchase it.I will be fitting it to my T16 and like the fact it can do boost per gear, swithable maps up to 3 from a switch and a launch control function upgrade available in the near future.

Baz

I use a couple, never had a problem & great service.

You can actually use launch control/FTG in a crude way via one of the switchable maps.

brumster

Same here, use an Emerald on a Lotus 7 type kit car - very happy with it. Great piece of kit for the money.

pug_ham

Nothing wrong with Emerald but speak to the person who will be doing your mapping & see what they prefer, most tuners can work with any ecu but the results can be a world apart if its not their preferred brand & they don't know all the ins & outs of it to get the best.

Time on the rollers with a mapper who isn't as familiar working on an ecu can get very expensive.

Unless you plan to trailer the car to Emerald for mapping to get the best map for the ecu.

g

Sandy

I've mapped alot of Emeralds and while it is a good ECU, the software is built around mapping one site at a time and it's extremly difficult to take a broad view and create really good dynamic maps; in that respect I'm afraid it can't compete with OMEX and the best system (IMO) in that respect, DTA. Choosing ECUs via spec lists is not really wise, most of the systems offer most of the functions you've highlighted, the DTA Launch on even the basic S40 is spectacularly good compared to others <£1000 and it also has comprehensive boost/gear settings. Switchable maps are a distraction really, irrelevant on a well set up N/A engine, only really relevant to boosted engines and you can usually achieve the variable settings required in other ways. Nobody is likely to want to pay for full multiple maps to be written and as I say, if it's well set up then you should have a combination of good power and good economy, with good progressive driveability! (My 220bhp+ 1600s have been proven to give over 40mpg on the road for example).

Above all, the mapping and overall set up are the most critical aspect of the package and standards vary hugely, you have very little to go on regarding the real quality of mapping, most people are blissfully unaware of how well set up their cars could be and it's extremely rare to see what I consider a good job I'm afraid. The point of this is, that people who really do a good job will have views on what systems are best to use and what provisions you should make to ensure a good, reliable and lasting installation.

• Like 2

B11 BOB

I've mapped alot of Emeralds and while it is a good ECU, the software is built around mapping one site at a time and it's extremly difficult to take a broad view and create really good dynamic maps; in that respect I'm afraid it can't compete with OMEX and the best system (IMO) in that respect, DTA. Choosing ECUs via spec lists is not really wise, most of the systems offer most of the functions you've highlighted, the DTA Launch on even the basic S40 is spectacularly good compared to others <£1000 and it also has comprehensive boost/gear settings. Switchable maps are a distraction really, irrelevant on a well set up N/A engine, only really relevant to boosted engines and you can usually achieve the variable settings required in other ways. Nobody is likely to want to pay for full multiple maps to be written and as I say, if it's well set up then you should have a combination of good power and good economy, with good progressive driveability! (My 220bhp+ 1600s have been proven to give over 40mpg on the road for example).

Above all, the mapping and overall set up are the most critical aspect of the package and standards vary hugely, you have very little to go on regarding the real quality of mapping, most people are blissfully unaware of how well set up their cars could be and it's extremely rare to see what I consider a good job I'm afraid. The point of this is, that people who really do a good job will have views on what systems are best to use and what provisions you should make to ensure a good, reliable and lasting installation.

After taking your points under consideration and weighing up the costs i still think that the Emerald represents the best value for money.Remapping all 3 maps at Emerald costs £325 plus vatAs regards to mapping it i would only také it to Emerald direct after all they designed it so they could map it to perfection theres a chap there called Dave Walker whos been in the tuning world a good few years.

It is a question of preference and due to yourself having mapped Emerald and virtually all other ecu's you have raised quite a few intrested points thank you for your input

B11 BOB

Nothing wrong with Emerald but speak to the person who will be doing your mapping & see what they prefer, most tuners can work with any ecu but the results can be a world apart if its not their preferred brand & they don't know all the ins & outs of it to get the best.

Time on the rollers with a mapper who isn't as familiar working on an ecu can get very expensive.

Unless you plan to trailer the car to Emerald for mapping to get the best map for the ecu.

g

A lot of mappers prefer Omex over Emerald they say they can map a Emerald but they rather map a Omex after reading Sandys post i can now see why they prefer Omex

Miles

Take a look here, http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/dynotune.htm and this is what I tend to use as a example for mapping, You cannot expect a 100% map from a afternoons mapping no matter who you are, Not that I use JKM now as I tend to solely use Omex now as sandy's said the Emerald map's

Also you need to make sure that everything is ready to go, Again Andy (My mapper) does not map any DIY installs as it's more hassle than what it's worth and from experience of other DIY installs I can see why he takes this route so again depending on who installs it you need to let the RR know as it can add allot of time to the job.

Simes

After taking your points under consideration and weighing up the costs i still think that the Emerald represents the best value for money.Remapping all 3 maps at Emerald costs £325 plus vatAs regards to mapping it i would only také it to Emerald direct after all they designed it so they could map it to perfection theres a chap there called Dave Walker whos been in the tuning world a good few years.

It is a question of preference and due to yourself having mapped Emerald and virtually all other ecu's you have raised quite a few intrested points thank you for your input

I run an Emerald and the car has been mapped on two seperate occasions by Dave Walker.

It does what I want, ie. it's mapped and I don't touch it anymore.....well apart from getting the cold start sorted.

FYI, they do the main power map, the other two are slight variants on this that take another 15mins or so.

Edited by Simes

Baz

Yup, hardly takes long to do another 1 or 2 maps to suit what you want because they'll be based around the original anyway.

Without wanting to say much, I also run a DTA, It certainly wouldn't be my first choice again, mapping it is a ballache over anything else unless you're used to it & set up for them and I really don't think it does anything better over others.

Sandy

Something has to be wrong for you to say that Baz? What ECU and who was doing it, by what method? Knobs, closed or open loop?

B11 BOB

I run an Emerald and the car has been mapped on two seperate occasions by Dave Walker.

It does what I want, ie. it's mapped and I don't touch it anymore.....well apart from getting the cold start sorted.

FYI, they do the main power map, the other two are slight variants on this that take another 15mins or so.

I really like the switchable mapping aspect of the Emerald K6.I also like the fact it does boost per gear which on my application is a very handy feature to have.

Dizzee stuff

I have fitted the Emerald K6 and Canems ECU's. The Emerald is a quality peice of kit but does seem to have lots of features you have paid for but wont every use, and then there is the problem with the tacho driver. The Canems is a cheaper product not as many features, easy to fit ,no problems with tacho drivers. But not many people have mapped this system but it is similar to other systems, the canems has been on my sons clio for 2 years running 300BHP+ with no problems.

B11 BOB

I have fitted the Emerald K6 and Canems ECU's. The Emerald is a quality peice of kit but does seem to have lots of features you have paid for but wont every use, and then there is the problem with the tacho driver. The Canems is a cheaper product not as many features, easy to fit ,no problems with tacho drivers. But not many people have mapped this system but it is similar to other systems, the canems has been on my sons clio for 2 years running 300BHP+ with no problems.

Thanks for your input and if you can wire up Ecu's or know of anyone local to us get in touch I currently have a Omex 500 running Tb's on a 205 gti6 which I'm having problems with and could do with someone who knows what they are doing.

Cheers

Dizzee stuff

I have only done those two installs but dont mind taking a look to see if i can help out but wont have time to do a full rewire- too much on at the moment, what sort of problems are you having with it ?? I am guessing you live by my work (Tyseley B11) ??