• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonny453

Ignition Help

jonny453

Hi, We are currently working on a 205 Gti 1.6

We have 5 young people doing it up with us but we have been having some issues along the way. we have a facebook page to see the progress. www.facebook.com/2fast2soon.projectgti

at some point it has had a starter switch added and a toggle for the gin. But i'm not sure if it is wired correctly as currently it will not start the car. we have checked fuses and starter and that is all ok. and help would be grate.

when you turn on the ign you do not get the fuel pump on until you press the starter (i know they can me down to pressure but we have had the fuel pipes off so no pressure and it still doen't work untill you press the starter button)

The starter button has 2 cables coming off it. i thourght it would just be one cable??

If anyone knows what colour cable are and what they do that would help me out loads to check if they are right.

many thanks

jonny

Anthony

Should be easy enough to tell if you've wired the ignition correctly (or atleast to the point it won't be preventing the car from starting) - is there +12v at the coil only with ignition on and that is feed maintained whilst cranking the engine over?

The fuel pump often doesn't prime on ignition on - if it comes on when cranking then chances are that's fine.

Hard to say what the second wire being fed from the starter button is without seeing the car in question, as diagnosing anything that's had the wiring hacked about previously is going to be guesswork. The starter feed does do other things on a Jetronic 205, but those connections are all on the engine loom which - presumably - hasn't been touched.

jamie_1992

when you try to start it dose the engine turn over and not start or is it not turning over?

if it is turning over and not running cheak you have spark pull the lead off the cap from the coil and stick a spark plug in it and put the plug on an earth then crank it if no spark then it a coil if not its something to do with distibuter

if it dose not crank then its you starter motor take it off and bench test it if it works the you need to redo the wiring to the starter

jonny453

Hi, I have now attached some pics of the wires in question. I have also tested the fuel pump and it is not receiving an ign live.

I have traced the whiteish cable from the starter switch and that goes to the fuse box but then ends up at the fuel pump... should this be on the IGN not starter switch??

many thanks jonny

post-22728-0-84255900-1351170576_thumb.jpg

post-22728-0-45467700-1351170793_thumb.jpg

post-22728-0-84295200-1351171013_thumb.jpg

Anthony

Are you sure that it's a starter switch and not a fuel pump on-off switch?

Should be no reason for the starter switch to be connected to the fuel pump wiring.

Starter wiring is generally light blue and is wire number 46.

You're quickly realising why I despise cars that have had the wiring chopped about...

jonny453

i think i have found the problem

post-22728-0-75548600-1351182508_thumb.jpg

blandy

Rather than start a new thread could someone confirm what the wires on the ign barrel does as I also have a mess of wires but am in the process of building the wiring loom so can't test.

I have 2 yellow wires a orange and a red wire.